Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What have you Bass'd today?

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by Dan_Q, Nov 26, 2016.

1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2017
    TN
    That's the other thing. Much respect to Geddy Lee and Esperanza Spalding. Singing with guitar is not too difficult but singing with bass is way complicated. Another thing about playing is, exactly what you are describing... GETTING IT RIGHT. Staying in the pocket; not overplaying; cutting through the mix. It's more complicated than it looks.

Yaralag likes this.

2. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Amen to that brother! Not just about landing the notes. It's so much more.

Dan_Q and gjohnson441496 like this.

3. JP Lace Master

JP Lace Master Strat-O-Master

Sep 23, 2013
    Kent
    Picked up the bass again recently, but I'm a lefty and the bass is my right handed Biscuit Tin Bass, so I've learnt how to play bass upside down.

Been playing Pink Floyds "Money" a lot, a bit of Muddy Waters "Mannish Boy" and "Hoochie Coochie Man" and a bit of Queen "Another One Bites the Dust" and "Under Pressure". Also got real into Motown and had to learn "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" and "Papa was a Rolling Stone". P1222526.JPG

I really want to learn Jets "Are you Gonna be my Girl" and The Jams "A Town Called Malice". Might have to break out my left handed double neck Bass/Guitar for those though.

4. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    Most of my time lately on bass has been on the LTD four string. My #1 (a fiver) has been in air conditioned, storage in the HSC. I'm going to bring it home, and change the 9V. That one has a passive/active switch. My guess is that it's still in tune - a keeper!

5. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I recorded this a couple months ago but I've been working extensively on it today, the video is about mixing bass but you can hear pretty much the whole bassline

6. Hugh

Hugh Got Punch ? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville (KY)
    Not today, but this week I did this...
    0927171538.jpg

And last night I learned 4 Stax hits including this one..

ezra1 likes this.

7. ezra1

ezra1 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Behind the Pine Curtain
    Worked up a bluesy Can't Get Next To You with the two guitarists I work with.
    Also Dark End Of The Street.
    Played my old 62 P Bass and a Warwick GPS Corvette thru a Portaflex.
    It was a fun day.

Hugh likes this.

8. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm also learning Another One Bites the Dust. Got that one down pretty well.

Bass line from Devil on my Shoulder (dropped D) by Billy Talent.

Working on some classic rock influenced bass line for a rapper friend of mine. His mom's favorite song is Jessie's Girl, so I learned the basic riff for that and added to it.

Each time I pick the bass up (almost daily) I play Seven Nation Army (with some embellishments, fills whatever), Another Brick in the Wall pt. II (with that intro
    When we grew up and went to school
    There were certain teachers
    Who hurt the children any way they could

Then later in the song
    But in but in but in town it was well known
    That when they got home
    Their fat and psychopathic wives would thrash them
    Within inches of their lives

using my index finger double picking with palm muting to simulate delay, the way I used to do it 20 years ago in my band days complete with SCREAM!), Kravitz Are You Gonna Go My Way, Pepper's Could Have Lied, Green Day Longview, WAR Low Rider, Sugar Hill Gang's Rapper's Delight (a lot like Bites the Dust), the Barney Miller Theme (funking it up with some slap and pop) and the Nightcourt theme (another funky one).

And tonight I decided that my few year old Mighty Mite neck on my parts bass hadn't yellowed at all. So I decided to give it some coats of tung oil.

Took the strings off, tuners and string tree from the headstock (left the bushings in since they were pressed pretty tight) and gave it 3-4 coats, letting it dry for 10+ minutes between coats. Buffed it out and its still a little tacky which I hope will go away as it dries.

One thing I liked about he white neck was how smooth and fast it was.

One thing I disliked was how pale the maple was (almost white), and I'd hoped it would yellow as it aged/I played it. ~3 years later it was pretty much the same.

So I hit it with tung oil. First coat and I could see some grain popping out.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Hugh and Yaralag like this.

9. Yaralag

Just ordered a Rogue VB100 from Musicians Friend. At $169.99 I couldn't resist!

canvas.png

10. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Last night I debuted my Yamaha TBRX605FM (5-string) at a worship service. I had a couple misplaced finger bobbles but was surprisingly easy for a new convert to 5-string. As are many Yamahas, a very good value and got it for a decent price which made it a very sweet deal.

Meanwhile, I sprung for the Mala Slap 2 course from Federico Malaman. $35 USD and practicing while cycling through my 3 basses.

Here's my new Yamaha...

yamaha 2.jpg yamaha (1).jpg

Hugh and Yaralag like this.

11. Yaralag

Great bass! I love Yammies. Make sure to incorporate that B string into your playing. It’s not just a thumb rest! Lol

12. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a Hofner Beatle bass for my low end needs. For me......it’s the BEST. :)

Yaralag likes this.

13. Yaralag

It’ll be here on Tuesday. I can’t wait.

14. jaybones

Yeah, that's too good a price to resist, but I've heard pretty bad reviews on that bass/company.

I put a couple more coats of tung oil on my MM neck, reinstalled the tuners and string tree and was trying to reuse the old strings. Broke the D tuning it.

Didn't have another set so ordered another set. Went with my usual brand DR Lo Riders, but went for a heavier tension than before.

So if I want to rock a bass I'm stuck with an Affinity P with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pup or an Epi Rivoli (EA 260 really), both with La Bella tapewound strings.

15. Yaralag

That’s strange. I can’t find a bad review on that bass that didn’t come from someone who didn’t seem to know a bass needs to be set up before playing it. Those basses are all basically the same. A little fret work and the right strings and it will be a rocker.

16. jaybones

I was just passing on opinions I've heard on talkbass and other fora.

17. Vindibona1

I did use it. And it felt quite natural and organic doing so. A lot of what we play is in D major so it's nice to have it without having to cheat. Also great for playing up the neck when needed.

I'm still also working on getting used to my Ibanez BTB675. It's quite a beast. Heavy and much wider fingerboard- but such a work of art too.

18. Yaralag

Oh I had one of those BTB 5ers. That thing sounded amazing but something about that neck I just couldn’t get used to. It was a beast for sure. It felt even bigger than a Yamaha 6 string I was fooling with. Anyway, I’m back to 4 strings for now. It just feels natural to me so I won’t fight it.

19. Vindibona1

The Yamaha feels a lot like a 4-string now and my 4-string feels skinny. It's that psycho-sensory adaptation thing at work again.

EDIT: FWIW, the BTB string spacing at the bridge and nut width and spacing is identical to the Fender MIA 5-string. But they feel like two different animals. I think I like the neck shape of the BTB, but I feel that less radius would help the BTB. Ibanez made some big changes with their BTB745. A 16.7" radius down from a 19". They replaced the double truss rod with a single, accessible near the neck/body joint. They also shaved at least a pound off of it, maybe closer to 2 pounds?

There are still things that are easier to do on the BTB and I think if nothing else it's a good bass to train on as it makes other 5-strings feel smaller/normal to a guitar player. Kind of like a batter taking practice swings with weights on his bat.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Yaralag likes this.

20. Yaralag

Well the Rogue Viola came and went. Aside from having a severe balance issue a pickup wasn’t working. So back it went. I decided that short scale basses just aren’t for me anyway.