What inspired you to start playing?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Justin226, Mar 18, 2021.

1. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Senior Stratmaster

I'm going on 33 years of guitar playing thanks to Jimi.:)

[​IMG]

2. Strats4me

Strats4me Senior Stratmaster

my divorce.... drowning my sorrows at a bar.... dude was playing some kick ass licks....asked him who it was.....SRV.... who?.....found him....put away my hair bands for a bit....SRV to me is also a shredder....

3. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

Piano is a better choice for getting girls. With a piano, the girls sit on the bench next to you.

LivingMyDream likes this.
  4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I had always loved music, and got started playing early by my parents - piano at 6, switched to saxophone at 12.
    I had a bunch of friends that played guitar and turned me on to a bunch of different bands, so I was into listening to guitar-centric music.

The lightbulb moment was when I was at jazz band practice in high school and a buddy brought in his guitar, small amp, a distortion pedal and another - it was either a chorus or delay - and it sounded AWESOME. He let me try it out and I remember sitting there, feeling like I was holding an assault rifle or something - it was humming with what felt like raw power.
    That's when I thought, "OK, I gotta get me one of THESE."

5. EXTRABLUE

EXTRABLUE Strat-Talker

too many yrs ago to remember, but probably the radio, I listened a lot

LivingMyDream and Justin226 like this.
  6. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

My old Goya 12 string and "Rain Song" was a pretty successful combination ;)

LivingMyDream and StratoMutt like this.
  7. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

I have always Loved Music with a passion since i was very young, Unfortunately never was encouraged by my parents and the when i was old enough life got in the way but i always said One day i will learn to play guitar and about just under 2 years ago i did just that
    who inspired me to learn to play guitar even when life was in that way? was none other than

[​IMG]

Sadly, Jamie isn't the only one crying now. We all are! R.I.P. Eddie Van Halen!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  8. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talker

9. beeflin

beeflin Strat-Talk Member

When I was 11, living at the seaside in Broadstairs, I saw a man, a day tripper from London I think, on the beach playing banjo and singing for a circle of friends & relatives in deckchairs. I remember he did "Side By Side" and "The Window Cleaner". I asked my parents for a banjo for Christmas, but they found guitars came much cheaper so I ended up starting on a Martin Coletti acoustic.

10. chuck dale

chuck dale New Member!

Buddy Holly and..... The Beatles!

11. libertarian

libertarian Strat-O-Master

for me it was a mix of David Gilmour, Angus Young, Steve Miller Band and Kiss. Music I had heard at a young age trying to figure out what those grindy and violin like tones were and how they were made with a guitar. That fascination never went away in the last over 40 years. That was all at a time when you could hear this stuff but usually not see except for a few pictures on album covers. No MTV, no Internet. In a way that was better. Today you can figure stuff out much quicker which on the one hand is great but removes the strictly learning by ear component. But I’m an old fart now.

John Mayer was an acquired taste for me. Great player, cool dude. I love watching videos on his watch collection also. And he clearly had access to some prime specimens of the female variety. Man of taste.

12. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Right after college, I landed a part-time job selling skateboards at a counter in the back of a guitar store. The owners wanted me to learn just a little bit about guitars so I could help out when things got busy. I spent that summer stalking Craigslist and ultimately bought all the parts to build a Strat piecemeal.

LivingMyDream and Blackmore Fan like this.
  13. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-O-Master

Both my parents played some, and I grew up around a number of other players. They were pretty much all country/bluegrass, but there was just something about that wooden box with the wires... I have a photo that was taken when I was only a year or so old - my dad was standing in front of our house wearing the Kay acoustic my mom had owned since she was sixteen, and had me sitting on the guitar reaching over to play with the strings. Or bang on the front. Whatever... :)

LivingMyDream and Green Craig like this.
  14. MC5tooge

MC5tooge Strat-Talker

In order
    1) Status Quo when I was 12 in 1981.
    2) John McGeoch in Siouxsie and the Banshees when I was 13 in 1982
    3) Stuart Adamson in Big Country when I was 14 in 1983
    4) The Edge from U2 at Red Rocks when I was 14. That black Strat was what really pushed me over "the Edge".
    5) My mum's classical guitar lying around the house. So I started when I was 14.
    6) Girls

I'd learned piano from age 5 (son of a piano teacher) and was encouraged to pick up a second instrument. She really wanted me to learn violin but I was having none of it. Brother and sister learned viola and cello - and yes... lots of things happen at band camp that I never got to try.

LivingMyDream and McRonson like this.
  15. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talker

I wanted my MTV.

Blackmore Fan and CB91710 like this.
  16. kilroy

kilroy Strat-Talker

A couple friends said they wanted to learn because it attracts girls, so I tagged along. (was 14 at the time) They quit after a few months. For me it's been 45 years. I'm still learning.

17. ratdoc

ratdoc Strat-Talk Member

The solo in Bell Bottom Blues...

LivingMyDream and jd35801 like this.
  18. RandyRoot

RandyRoot Strat-Talk Member

Like countless others, The Beatles on Ed Sullivan...

19. Builder 2010

Builder 2010 Strat-Talk Member

While I loved 50's rock and especially the guitar part, I, on the other hand, attempted to play the bassoon three separate times:7th, 9th, and 10th grades. Saw a kid in summer camp in 1960 with a Harmony electric guitar playing "I've Had It" by the Bellnotes, and really wanted to play electric guitar. After a full year of begging, my parents relented and bought me a lovely, used Fender DuoSonic and little tiny Premiere amp. That was 1961. Goodbye bassoon, hello Fender.

Started a high-school power trio, but real fun and success happened in college with the formation of the Sounds & Sondettes at Michigan State from 1965 through 67. When I stopped playing professionally in 67 found that my style and skills stopped evolving. In 64 traded the DuoSonic for a new Fender Jaguar. Went through a couple of amps and ended up with a Fender Single Showman. In 68, after marrying, sold Showman for carpeting. In 72 sold my Gibson ES175D to buy stereo equipment.

For the next 25 years all I had was a Yamaha flattop that I occasionally played. It wasn't until 92, when I was making more money, that I bought another "real" guitar, a Fender Strat Deluxe Plus with a Fender Champ SE amp. In 2015 was able to add to my Strat by re-buying a 1995 Gibson ES-175D, and a VOX VT30 Sampling Amp. Just bought a Cry Baby Wah last year, so my playing is evolving again at age 75. But it's a lot harder to learn (and remember) new material. By "new" I mean 1970s rock in the likes of Steely Dan, Deep Purple and of course Led Zeppelin.

20. stephenbishop

stephenbishop New Member!

I lived on an old farm in the 80s and 90s and could only get PBS on the TV, so I got used to watching Live at Austin City Limits on Saturday nights. One night in 1997, Eric Johnson performed on there and it changed my life. I've been attempting to play the guitar ever since. Still don't sound like Eric though.

LivingMyDream and Blackmore Fan like this.