What is the best way to publish music recordings

AxemanVR

I appreciate, therefore I am...
Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA

Just stating an obvious conclusion that others may or may not find some value in - by basically answering my own question based on the narrative set forth from it...

Last edited:

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
Another progress report on my efforts from back in September. I honestly thought something must not be working because it showed no streams, but I looked today and I actually have $0.09 in royalties/earnings between Reverbnation, Spotify, and Amazon. Probably going to have to keep my day job. At this rate my Great-Great Grandkids should get $30 in about 100 years.

MakingMoney.png

ShaoCan

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 30, 2021
USA
Does Spotify really help the creators make money? I’ve heard that the company takes the biggest share of the income from each streaming session, and the artists get just a little. It would be cool to get a first-hand opinion about this platform.

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
Does Spotify really help the creators make money? I’ve heard that the company takes the biggest share of the income from each streaming session, and the artists get just a little. It would be cool to get a first-hand opinion about this platform.
I know for people who get many, many plays they do. I ended up pulling my song off all of the streaming services. I made a total of $0.72 in 3 years, so the $3 I spent to do it was a bad investment. I do have my CD on Bandcamp and I did sell 4 copies which netted me $9 - much better business model. My music is free on my web site, but I still had a few friends that refused and wanted to pay for it - strange people...........

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
The money is crap, we are getting fleeced as creators.

I have managed quite a few plays on various services, after countless hours and hard work over several years I think I have about 20 bucks?

Obviously, I don't do it for the cash.

Quikstyl

Strat-O-Master
Nov 10, 2018
Bay Area, CA
Th
This may be a silly endeavor or may just be an academic exercise, but I was thinking about distributing some of my tunes. I have no delusions of grandeur but thought it could be fun to be able to say "Alexa, play Beams by Ballistic Squid".

What is the most sensible and economic way of doing this? My research has shown CD Baby is a great service to use. Another I found was this from Reverb Nation:
https://www.reverbnation.com/band-promotion/distribution

They have an option to release a single for $1 per year on 6 platforms of your choice...amazon being one of them.
Asks for the question. I have songs I wrote on my YouTube channel, but was interested in expanding.

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
Th

Asks for the question. I have songs I wrote on my YouTube channel, but was interested in expanding.
I did the Reverbnation route for a $1. Wasn't worth it. Apple never got it, Amazon would only play it if you were a paid subscriber for the music, Pandora made you watch an ad, and spotify made you watch an ad. I made $0.72 in 3 years and there is no way to get my money that I can figure out.. If you want to make any money and think you could get some people interested through your own efforts, I would do Bandcamp. If you want it out there for "hey go look me up on spotify" factor - then the $1 reverbnation will get you there or I think the Distrokid route lets you release unlimited songs to numerous platform for $20 a year.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
I did the Reverbnation route for a $1. Wasn't worth it. Apple never got it, Amazon would only play it if you were a paid subscriber for the music, Pandora made you watch an ad, and spotify made you watch an ad. I made $0.72 in 3 years and there is no way to get my money that I can figure out.. If you want to make any money and think you could get some people interested through your own efforts, I would do Bandcamp. If you want it out there for "hey go look me up on spotify" factor - then the $1 reverbnation will get you there or I think the Distrokid route lets you release unlimited songs to numerous platform for $20 a year.
I am Distrokid all the way. It's easy, reliable and it's fun to see the nickels and dimes you make. :D

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
I ahv
Vocals on these songs ended up on six or seven tracks. I am reluctant to try and comp them into a single track and I am mightily confused. Last night I was able to do a decent rough mix pretty quickly on one but the other I am having to do automation and automation and automation...
I have spent multiple hours comping a vocal track from several takes of a song, editing out anything between the actual voice, volume leveling, and then applying processing last. It is a lot of work, but is fun in a strange way and rewarding when you are finished. I just need to learn to use Melodyne - I have had it for 10+ years as part of cakewalk/sonar but never used it.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
I ahv

I have spent multiple hours comping a vocal track from several takes of a song, editing out anything between the actual voice, volume leveling, and then applying processing last. It is a lot of work, but is fun in a strange way and rewarding when you are finished. I just need to learn to use Melodyne - I have had it for 10+ years as part of cakewalk/sonar but never used it.
I also find it fun to do, but the only things I have done were my songs and my vocals so it was easy for me to sort out. I don't know the songs and the intent very well so I am kind of timid. That's why I have been doing automation rather than piecing it together. Collin knows the songs having gigged with them so we will likely work together on this.

The songs are very good and I can see them having an audience. At the same time, they are NOTHING like what I do. :D