What is the importance of color to you?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

Hmmm... Where my mind goes. A Griswald Roadmaster guitar. Why not?

Chuck8436 likes this.
  2. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

If a guitar sounded and played great, I could probably put up with any color, except sparkly crap, or pink or purple. No. No. No.

3. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

Color for me, is part of the equation.

dscottyg likes this.
  4. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

Hey, I'd rock it for sure. Ha

Bowmap likes this.
  5. Quills

Quills Strat-Talk Member

6. Quills

Quills Strat-Talk Member

I never found a Strat that is hard to play once you got used to Strats.

dscottyg likes this.
  7. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-O-Master

Yeah! Sonic Blue sounds great!

Ian
    SoCal

dscottyg likes this.
  8. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-O-Master

So far I’ve bought most of my guitars based on looks. I got them online so that’s all I had to go by. It had to look great and have a great reputation in the guitar community. If it looks like one that one of my hero’s played, that makes me like it.

9. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

As long as it isn't some Easter colored, pastel thing, I'm pretty much good to go.

It has to feel right but even that can be adjusted to suit my preferences. Tone is important too but only to a limited degree. It is pretty easy and cheap to change the way an electric guitar sounds these days.

10. Tcsmusicman

Tcsmusicman Strat-Talk Member

Color is both the most important and least important thing, depending. I'm not going to go out of my way to pick up and play a guitar in a color I don't like. First and foremost I'm looking for a guitar that looks good because it's going to make me want to play it more and obviously you want your guitar to look how you like, ideally. That said, if someone hands me the worlds ugliest strat but I love the way it plays and don't want to put it down, then the color is completely irrelevant, I'm still taking the damn thing home one way or another. I'll learn to love the color and it can be a quirk.

But if I'm going out of my way to buy a new strat, it's going to be the color I'm looking for unless something crazy happens. I was once looking for a new SG, and the loudest looking hot rod yellow strat was on the wall, it was pretty gaudy for my taste at the time. I picked it up and played it for ****s and giggles because it was used and modded and just so crazy colored, and a few hours later that's what I left with.

So I guess at the end of the day color really only influences what I'm going to pick up and play first. I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to aesthetics anyways, so I don't really "dislike" most colors, it's actually more dependent on the "quality" of the color more than anything. By "quality" of the color I mean like the difference between Fender's shell pink and a cheap copy that would likely look more like a "barbie" pink. If you asked me if I would want a green guitar I would say "hell no", but then you show me a nice Fender in British Racing Green and things change a little. Currently I own a Shell Pink strat that I threw gold hardware on, and it's absolutely my favorite, and also a very "turquoise-y" sea foam green tele. I definitely have a preference for the "Easter" colors haha.

I will actually amend this a little and say that I will never own a black strat. I absolutely despise black guitars and have no desire to even play one to see if I like it. It's just a personal thing, but I think it's the color with the least personality. That and a super starchy white. I like the off-white colors but straight bright white is also a total no-go.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  11. bill68

bill68 Strat-Talk Member

I look at 1. the neck profile i want
    2. the frets i want
    3. the pickups I want
    4. the color is important to some extent ( I like solid colors as opposed to most of the burst finishes)
    and if i find a great color and there is some thing minor i don't like that can be fixed, then that is factored in to the equation.

12. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

The three rules of guitar purchase:

1. What it looks like,

2. What it Looks like,

3. What it LOOKS like.

Bowmap and Stonetone like this.
  13. slumpy

slumpy Strat-Talk Member

Never really considered my collection but most of my Strats/Bullets are black and white.

14. PonyB

PonyB Senior Stratmaster

My favourite guitar is not very attractive.
    I have more beautiful guitars, like a purple sparkle J Mascis Jazzmaster and a big orange Gretsch, but my ugly-ish Telecaster is #1.

Dudeman7 likes this.
  15. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

ditto:thumb:

16. hightime

hightime New Member!

Color is very low on the priorities list. I want to just let my playing overcome any color disadvantage.

CB91710 likes this.
  17. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

Color is important. For me, a good color is a necessary, but not sufficient, characteristic. It has to be a color I like, or at least can live with, for me to buy it. So, for example, if it’s a great playing guitar but is a color I don’t like, I won’t buy it.

If it’s a color I love, but is not a good player, then I’m not going to buy it.

In your example, I’d probably go with the burst because, although I generally like LPB more than a burst, I also like bursts, so I would go with the one that plays better. If it were between a decent LPB and an awesome playing transluscent red, I’d go with the LPB because I hate transluscent red. Unless, of course, I was willing to repaint it!

18. Clickitysplit

Clickitysplit Strat-Talker

Beyond all the other fit and playability stuff that has to come first, I’m starting to think about color with respect to the other guitars I have. For example the tele build I’m planning is going to get a wudtone carmine gypsy finish, because I think it’s cool and none of my other guitars look anything like it. The stable will be diverse. Here’s a gallery shot of a Strat from the wudtone.com site.
    2C6AA9BE-3E34-4F52-9030-54514B6878F1.jpeg

Bowmap and CB91710 like this.
  19. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

I've never bought a guitar in a colour I don't like. However, my taste has changed over the years and colours I didn't like I now do (Gold Top Les Paul and a Cherry SG two examples).

My next guitar will be chosen mainly by colour, because it's a tribute to my Dad who passed recently: He loved bright red, so I'm either going to spray a bare wood body myself, or if I can find one already finished (that isn't relic'd) in Fiesta red and build it up using some parts I have already.

20. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

If I'm paying MSRP for a new one regardless of instrument price point, it might as well be my favorite color. Otherwise I want a discount or even I just walk away from it. Preowned, I can have a color grow on me, not as critical, but 2 guitars in the same condition I'm still going with a preowned in the color I prefer. I've probably passed on some fine instruments in the preowned classifieds, but price is also going to factor in and the deal breaker is it doesn't work properly or doesn't sound good. I ended up with what I have and they're all solid players. There may be better one's out there, some worse, but I doubt I'm getting those for the price I ended up paying ?

dscottyg likes this.