What is the next step above an American Stratocaster Deluxe???

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Gas4Strats, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talker

Is it an Artist, Custom Shop, or maybe something else???

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I thought they quit making the Am Deluxe? Isn't that the Elite now? It varies. Many Artist models are above it in price but some are below it. AVRI's are more expensive.

zoot and ocean like this.
  3. Etacarinae

Etacarinae Strat-Talker

The Deluxe line is now called the Elite line. The next step up from that (in terms of price point) is a custom shop.

The artist series is a different thing entirely. For example, the Eric Johnson strat typically is a little cheaper than a Fender Elite these days. But it might also be exactly what you want, and it is not a lower quality instrument, just different. Both are going to be at or near the top of the line for non-custom.

It really comes down to what features you want. Elites have compound radius fingerboards, different neck heels, and noiseless pickups. Signatures have specs varying wildly by the artist (quartersawn necks, scalloped fingerboards, humbuckers and sustainer systems, you name it). Most off the shelf custom shops are going to be in the more vintage spec'd variety. An actual custom built guitar will have whatever you ask for within reason - but that is almost the most expensive option (weird short run heavy relics aside).

TheDuck and Yves like this.
  4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Fender Elite is selling for $1,799 Eric Johnson is selling for $1,899. The EJ is one of the most expensive Sig models (I bought one in April.) The Clapton is less than the Elite.

ocean likes this.
  5. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

A PRS CE

Tim S, s5tuart, carver and 2 others like this.
  6. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

You guys are forgetting about the American Vintage range. Strictly speaking from price point, the AV range would be the next step up from the Elite series. The Artist series has so many different guitars at different price points that you would have to narrow that down to the specific artist guitar.

StratmanNick and Crotch like this.
  7. shadoogie

shadoogie Strat-O-Master

There is no upgrade for the "strat deluxe" It is the best a man can get.

36 chambers, Gas4Strats and TheDuck like this.
  8. Crotch

Crotch Strat-Talker

AVRI then Custom Shop. I prefer the old deluxe to the elite and AVRI

Ultra91 likes this.
  9. RangerJay

RangerJay Strat-Talk Member

I have a custom shop Strat and an EJ. I actually prefer the EJ, but the neck on the CS is pretty awesome. I prefer med jumbos to the thin tall frets. My next acquisition will probably be an EJ with RW board.

If you handed me my EJ and told me it came from the CS, I wouldn't doubt it. It's that good.

Stratoskater and Gas4Strats like this.
  10. Crotch

Crotch Strat-Talker

EJ and Clapton strats are 2 of the finest regular production guitars made imo. Very consistent.

Gas4Strats likes this.
  11. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

The select series when they made it.

12. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talker

My two Strats are a 2009 Fender American Deluxe HSS and a 1995 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Plus. I have looked at some CS models but most are vintage spec with some modern features and are expensive. I wonder if if I would be comfortable using a CS Stratocaster as a regular gigging guitar in a bar. The artist series look interesting. I am not sure if i would like the 7.25" radius on the AVRI series. Elites are like what I have and would need a pickup swap to replace noiseless pups.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  13. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I know AVRI's are pricier but I don't really see them as an upgrade from a standard. They are just different. The elite/deluxe is a higher spec with locking tuners etc but overall I'd rather still have an AV. If I wanted a higher spec strat than an elite and I was buying new I'd probably look at getting something made by Mr Kirn or a suhr...

circles, Ebidis, Neil.C and 1 other person like this.
  14. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talker

I was looking at Nash, and Xotic. The Xotic Strats are vintage style but with 22 frets.

15. DeadCircuits

DeadCircuits Strat-Talker

Difficult to say really. Price range doesn't necessarily mean upgrade. For instance the American Vintage range might cost more, but in some eyes they would be a downgrade from the Elite range or the American Standard in terms of features as they are Vintage spec and thus lack all modern uprades.

I'd say the American Vintage are the upgrade to the Classic Series which is itself an upgrade from the Classic Vibe. Outside of that vintage spec line the idea of upgrades doesn't really apply. Similarly the Elite is an upgrade upon the Pro range, next up in that modern spec type of strat would be something like a CS Postmodern or some other CS line.

Fendereedo and Mississippi_Kid like this.
  16. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

Well after reading this thread I'm pretty glad I'm happy with my old Std and Tokai. They still sound great to me. No upgrades needed.. ;)

s5tuart, felis, Scimmy and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I really want to like Nash guitars, the old ones were great but the current production are just no where near as well put together and cost a heap more to boot...

18. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

To answer the OP... the vintage reissues sit above the American Deluxe (now the American Elite) price-wise, but really if you're looking for something in the same vein as a Deluxe/Elite but one more step up, Fender doesn't really do that right now. The CS teambuilt lines -- Postmodern or Artisan -- would probably be the closest thing, but they're somewhat different guitars.

On the other hand, if you can articulate exactly what you're looking for, the CS can certainly build it for you.

Murphcaster likes this.
  19. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talker

Having the CS build something for me is an option but it can be expensive and there is no guarantee I'll get a great guitar.

I had looked around a bit and thought these look interesting:
    - 2016/2017 Fender Custom Shop Journeyman Postmodern Strat RW in Sunburst (21 frets),
    - 2017 Fender Custom Shop Lush Closet Classic Postmodern Strat (22 frets)
    - 2009 Fender Custom Shop Custom Deluxe Stratocaster (22 frets),
    - Fender EJ Stratocaster (21 frets),
    - Fender EC Stratocaster (22 frets),
    - Fender Wildwood 59 thin skin Stratocaster (21 frets),
    - Nash Stratocaster (21 frets),
    - Xotic Stratocaster (22 frets)

And just a gigging man's guitar (not a step above a Deluxe)
    - 2017 Fender American Professional Stratocaster (22 frets)

Of all of the above a used CS Custom Deluxe or Artist might be worth checking out.

20. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

That is debatable, but I agree with all of your other observations.