What is this mysterious stratocaster???

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Kdyer17, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

There are other instances of legit BrassMaster bridges without the logo, that doesn't cause any concern.
    I'm not ready to call 'fake' on this one just yet.

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

the "corners" of the heel suggest that it's not Original... they are too "square", original USA Fenders have a more rounded corner.. also the additional holes in the neck pocket are the results of a handle being attached so the body can be held for the application of the lacquer..... also not seen on original Fenders...

the "radius" where the lower bout comes up to meet the heel is too round.... and the irregular appearance of the heel suggests it was sanded on a spindle sander with a 2" or larger spindle... gouging out the flat edge subtly... I've NEVER seen that on any Fender.. again, at the very least it reveals it has been refinished...

The lable inside the pickup rout appears to be cut from a piece pf paper.. (photocopy?) the cellophane tape over it is also a new "addition" as is the shielding.. I'd have to see the routing shot from above, but it initially looks very 90's Warmoth to me...

I could be wrong, there's more 'n a few of ya that would kindly remind ya I've been so before, :rolleyes: and, just for the record... I'll let ya know, I'm planning on being so again. To be wrong in the future, ya HAVE to be here in the future. :whistling: and to not be here, I'd have to be doing something else, and that something else is very time consuming so I understand, some rumors suggest it takes an eternity, and I just don't have that kinda spare time..:D

but ya never know what someone in the shop was knockin' out during a lunch break... but I have never seen an original with the paint handle screw holes... thus I'd conclude that it has, at least, been re-finished...

but the acid test.. if you pick a note and the sound comes out of the amplifier, and the other notes ya pick are the relative correct notes.. assuming the guitar is properly tuned, means it functions correctly, and may be successfully used as a guitar...

also with the proliferation of multitudes of "basstird" Strats, no one's gonna know if ya paid 99.99 for 9999.00 for it.. the only thing they care about, is what can ya do with it...

rk

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  3. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

I'd buy it! :D

Groovey and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I see absolutely no reason to shout fake. But then, it's what people here do.

Stu would buy it, it's shiny. ;)

Mansonienne, Fendereedo and s5tuart like this.
  5. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

Mmmmmmmm! Shiny! :D

6. stratistically

stratistically Strat-O-Master

Another of your fetishes Mr. Bit?

Fendereedo and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  7. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

It's lovely! Please don't let it be a fake.

s5tuart and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

You'll get slapped up the conk with a soggy Dairylea sandwich if you don't mind your manners Mr Tistacally. :D

stratistically and Fendereedo like this.
  9. MGriff240

MGriff240 Strat-Talk Member

Who needs history books when we can just read these posts? Man you guys are pros.

s5tuart and NullPointer like this.
  10. DeadCircuits

DeadCircuits Strat-Talker

I dunno why anyone would fake a relatively obscure model, not to mention mess it up so that people can't work out what it's meant to be a fake of exactly.

I can see motive in todays market to fake a preCBS Fender, but not for faking an odd ball 80s number. When was it bought? Recently?

The only thing I can think of in favour of it being fake is if someone was counting on people not being able to determine the authenticity of such an obscure looking Strat. But I still think people are way more likely to go for big and fake something 50s or 60s.

s5tuart likes this.
  11. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Thanks for posting the other photos; the stamps are consistent with some that were used in era but it is missing the serial number stickers that should (but sometimes aren't) present in that late CBS era. And there is still the issue of the decal style and the E1xxxxx serial number - which I have never seen that style decal used on a Stratocaster prior to 1983, and I have never seen the E1 serial number on any guitar other than a Lead series or a Bullet.

This got posted over on The Gear Page; there is a member over there who recalls seeing a 1981 Fender catalog with a model just called a "Walnut Stratocaster" that was different from and predated the Walnut version of "The STRAT" that some of us have mentioned here. If I ever did have a 1981 Fender catalog it's long gone (I do remember having a 1982 and a 1983 but don't remember if I ever had a 1981) and I can't find a scan of anything other than what is listed as a 1981 Fender Japan catalog and it shows the Walnut "The STRAT" but it's listed as a "Super STRAT". I also can only find price lists uploaded at Fender.com for September 1980 and December 1981. The December 1981 has the Walnut "The STRAT" listed; the September 1980 does not have any Walnut models at all. That being said Fender could just not have scans of every price list, and if this were some kind of short lived model it could have only been listed on a letter sent to dealers as an addendum instead of them printing up another price list. With the "81" also being stamped on the neck plate it could have been some kind of short run that debuted at the NAMM show and only a small number of them were made before they moved on to full production of the Walnut "The STRAT" version.

So who knows on this one. Ron K. brings up some very good points about the body shape consistency with others from that era. It's an interesting piece, but we may never really get to the bottom about it.

12. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

I agree, however there was a thread a day or two ago where someone was trying to fake a few mim strats. Profit margin cant be good.

Edit....http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/eeny-meeny-miny-moe.446227/

13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

some "fake" a guitar for no other reason then their own gratification... and further, many doing so have no idea that an 80's Fender can differ significantly from a 60's or a 00's... so they just do "what feels good"..

Eventually their attention drifts into other areas, the "fake' becomes some forgotten relic of a earlier consciousness, and it can make its way to Craig's List, etc.. where often a insignificant little factoid like it's a fake, slips through the cracks and isn't mentioned..

Or.. the original owner, did it with all good intentions of noting it's "heritage".. but gets abducted by space aliens.. so some decades later, the rest of the family assumes the lil green men aren't bringing him back, so THEY list it on eBay, never knowing even what a fake guitar is...

this is why I urge y'all not to make fakes... unless you're keeping it and planning on livin' forever...

rk

14. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

They should make waterslide decals that say "Fake" in the fender style.
    Kinda like this
    43001-bae6e137dc21ad7df9b70c6780668f07.jpg

RolandDeschain, Scimmy and Fendereedo like this.
  15. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to ST. Sorry for your loss in your Father.I hope my daughter enjoys my guitars when I'm gone.
    The Walnut look sure is unique but not very popular. If it plays well then bonus even if it is a faux .
    Play through.

RolandDeschain likes this.
  16. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

The 1981 Fender catalog list model number 10-09600 Strat, American Black Walnut, with Tweed Case, Walnut Neck, Gold Plated Hardware $1195.00

The only other Walnut model is a Precision Special bass.

s5tuart likes this.
  17. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Post some pics of the neck heel markings. Pick cavity routes and under the guard.

18. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

I would be cautiously willing to believe that it's a prototype guitar built for NAMM or catalog photography. I'm a little less willing to believe that someone faked a guitar that didn't exist to this level of detail, but that's also a possibility. A look under the pickguard would definitely help.

One maybe-important observation: I have never ever ever seen an early '80s decal faked that well. That looks real.

19. Kdyer17

Kdyer17 Strat-Talk Member

20. Thrup'ny Bit

If I were you, at this point I'd stop reading this thread and take it to somebody who knows what they're talking about, before you lose the will to live.