What is this mysterious stratocaster???

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Kdyer17, Aug 9, 2017.

1. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

Or bring it to the UK and I'll buy it! Seriously! I'm not paying shipping and customs duty though!
    I steadfastly refuse to believe it's any sort of fake. Unusual, yes. That's the way I like 'em! :D
    Fender was going through all sorts of changes in 1981.....I bet not all of them got documented.
    I'm thinking Dan Smith carved that body out himself!!! :eek::whistling:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Ebidis, EricMag34 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  2. busted-e-again

busted-e-again Strat-Talker

You might be looking at my post of other reference guitars; OP has not given us a look under the pickguard yet. If that under-pickup serial# appearance is not accurate and as expected, another unmolested example should be substituted as reference.

There are 1980-1982 black pickguards without the bling knobs and switch tip and without the special tones, but they are on the standard CBS-era 3-bolt guitars. Pictures of pickups and pickguard will be another clue to infer the completeness and originality of components, we can see if they look like gray or black plastic X-1 etc.

s5tuart likes this.
  3. Kdyer17

Kdyer17 Strat-Talk Member

IMG_4532.JPG IMG_4533.JPG Everyone has gone above and beyond with this thing and I am super grateful. I am wanting to sell it but want to make sure that it's not a fake before I do. Under the pick guard is odd too, as there is no identifying marks or stickers underneath the pickups or other parts either...the pickguard itself has this metallic sticker on it...should I peel that off? 2 questions...

1. What is this thing worth as a nice fake?

2. What is it worth as a prototype guitar for NAMM or a catalog or something?

Thank you to EVERYONE for your extensive descriptions!

efforts

4. Kdyer17

I'll post a picture of the loaded pic guard when I get home

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

We need to see the bottom of the pickup bobbins and bottom of the 5-way switch and pots...

You didn't have to take all those off, we were just hoping to take the whole loaded pickguard assembly off as one piece and show us the bottom as well as the shape of the pickup routes :)

EricMag34 and guitarman1984 like this.
  6. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

The black shielding paint and ground wire notch is consistent for that era.

Any dates or stamps on the neck heel?

To date the pots and verify if they are orignal you will need to look at the numbers on the other side.
    The first 3 numbers will give u the manufacturer next two numbers the year the last 2 numbers are the week.

Kdyer17 likes this.
  7. Kdyer17

IMG_4543.JPG IMG_4544.JPG IMG_4545.JPG IMG_4546.JPG Everyone has gone above and beyond with this thing and I am super grateful to all of you experts in the matter. I posted some photos of the innards and no defining marks or stickers or serial numbers could be found anywhere underneath the pic guard unfortunately.

Also I am wanting to sell this piece but want to make sure that it's not a fake before I do, so 2 questions...

1. What is this thing worth as a nice fake if it a copy? And...

2. What is it worth as a prototype guitar for NAMM or a catalog or something else suggested in the previous comments?

Also, not that it matters but just to establish a little bit of provenance for the piece. My father was not shady or ever had the know how or skills to create a copy. He was an avid collector of really nice Fender guitars only buying from one reputable, really informed guitar shop in Orange CA in the 1980s. Also I am positive this guitar predates the 1990s because I remember him bringing it home and showing the family in our old house that we moved out of in 1989.

Thank you to EVERYONE for your extensive descriptions.

8. Guitarmageddon

Very interesting....your pickups seem to be from a Classic Series 50s/60s/ Strat (middle and neck), made in Mexico since the late 90s...any chance your dad made mods to this after owning it?

I don't know about values or pot codes, I'll wait for others to chime in...

9. Mr Dunlop

The body pickup cavities and routing marks are from that time period. Its a fender body.
    The pickups look the same that were in my 82 strat.
    What are the numbers on the side of the pots?

Kdyer17 likes this.
  10. Mr Dunlop

Here is a pick of my 82
    The volume pot was changed

[​IMG]

11. Kdyer17

No chance he made mods. Haha He was super limited as far as guitars are concerned. He was almost afraid to take them out of their cases and touch them. He would just buy them as is, because he didn't know any better and pack them away in his closet. He wouldn't have known the reasoning behind modifying things like that. Perhaps the previous owner? But again, he for sure bought this before 1989, so...yeah complete mystery.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

I stand corrected on the pickups....I didn't know they made the same thing in 1982....

Kdyer17 likes this.
  13. Mr Dunlop

Did you look at the bottom of the neck for a stamp?
    Fender didn't put serial stickers on all their guitar bodies from that time period and switched to a label.
    Those 2 extra holes in the neck pocket look factory to me and do not indicate a refinish

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kdyer17 likes this.
  14. Kdyer17

Here's some more pictures around the neck joint and what looks like a "T" at the base???

I'm wondering if the following scenario might be possible for the history of this guitar based on everyone's input...

What if the guitar had an original owner before my dad that owned an early "the STRAT" guitar that a few years down the line for whatever reason needs a new neck...I'm guessing damage which would also explain the evidence of refinishing it again in a non-fender style due to an accident of some kind (or trashing it onstage)
    The guy takes it to whomever for repairs, refinishing, gets a new neck, replaces the possibly damaged knobs and pickups. With the neck he was possibly told that this new neck was the closest thing they could get or had at that time(this was the 80s, no internet). Now whether the neck is a knock off or not it's hard to say, but it somehow gets put on. After all the repairs, the guitar at this point looks brand new. He then for whatever reason sells it to the guitar shop that my dad later purchases it from sometime before 1989. My dad, not knowing how odd this piece was went on believeing he had a walnut stratocaster. Not sure if this is possible based on the evidence, but I think we are all getting much closer to the truth! IMG_4554.JPG IMG_4551.JPG IMG_4548.JPG IMG_4552.JPG IMG_4548.JPG

Attached Files:

15. Kdyer17

In simpler terms, Could it just be a modified "the STRAT" with a different neck??

16. Kdyer17

Yes I took some pics and put them below, thank you for all your help!

17. Kdyer17

OR it's a rare prototype perhaps like others have suggested

18. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

Thats a round lam fingerboard. I dont think they do it like that much anymore. Most are slabs now.

19. Ronnie12460

Ronnie12460 Strat-O-Master

The body's got the fender Mouse ears in the neck pocket

Kdyer17 likes this.
  20. Kdyer17

Let me check out the number on the pots...there is a yellow round sticker on the back underneath the springs too, not sure if that helps...let me get some pictures for you..