What is this mysterious stratocaster???

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Kdyer17, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Paris in September. I'll pay the freight from North Carolina to Paris.

s5tuart likes this.
  2. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Although I might bid 625

3. rich815

rich815 Senior Stratmaster

I'd go $650 on this easily. :whistling:

Groovey likes this.
  4. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

6. kevin54

kevin54 Senior Stratmaster

Any advance on $650?

7. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

All I can say is... £600 is worth more than $650...and if anyone wants to outbid me, fine! Have at it!

8. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

I'll cover any other costs! :D

Groovey likes this.
  9. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

To the OP, Kyder17: Unless you can gain some other provenance or other confirmation from Fender, I'd be all over that offer of $780 US (conversion rate of £1.00 = $1.30) + shipping, etc, from s5tuart, if I were you! It does "LOOK" like a really nice guitar though, even if it wasn't your Dad's favorite! I already have way too many guitars, otherwise, I'd be all over it! Of course, the highly esteemed Albert Einstein always rears his ugly head, in cases like this:

einstein_on_guitars.jpg

Just My £.02, With No Dog In This Race!
    Gene

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  10. gaddis

gaddis Senior Stratmaster

I think if it's all original, it's worth more than $780. I say she should do a bit more research before deciding on a price.

11. rich815

I'd agree but I think that's the main issue, especially with the double truss nut weirdness. That said it's gorgeous and once we hear of possible offers I'll step up more seriously above my $650...

12. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

I spent about a half an hour last night on Google looking at the archives both here and at TDPRI, because I swear I remember seeing a similarly weird, gold-clad, walnut guitar back in 2014 or 2015...While I couldn't find an actual thread, if I'm remembering the outcome properly, the general consensus reached in this thread certainly feels familiar; it was some sort of one-off for an employee, either a retirement/anniversary gift, or something thrown together during some downtime in a woodshop. Again, this is just me going off the cuff. And, this may have been covered, but what I found in my research last night was that everything on the guitar in question was used (with documented evidence) at some point by Fender in the early 1980's...just, not concurrently on one guitar.

Anyway, my opinions are that if it isn't too inconvenient, it might be worth it for the OP to take the guitar down to Fender HQ, or at least begin knocking on some doors, to see if anyone can shed just a little light on the situation.

13. The Ballzz

I think the only part of your assessment that doesn't quite fit, is the truss rod adjustment at both ends of the neck. Again though, it may have been the beginning of some form of dual action truss rods, or could just be a nut installed on both ends of the same rod! We may never know for sure, unless he takes it to the factory and even then........?

As far as any inconvenience to the current owner, I don't think it would be "ANY" inconvenience for him to have some solid info that could possibly double what he may be able to sell it for! Of course, if the Fender factory tells him it's some aftermarket neck made in Chinesiawanoreanampan, it would be up to his conscience whether or not to share that here! Of course, even with unknown provenance, it certainly seems to be worth the current $$$ being bandied about and maybe even a tad more! It sure is a pretty guitar, even for me, who doesn't often like "natural" finish or gold hardware on Stratocasters!
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

14. Green Craig

Fender developed their Bi-Flex truss rod in the early 80's. Though, they weren't released on The Strat, or on the Walnut Elite Stratocasters at the time.

15. rich815

Me too!

16. The Ballzz

Yes Craig,
    But all the info I find suggests that the "Bi-Flex" only adjusts at one end of the neck and that end being the headstock end! May this have been an "experimental" piece, instead of an actual prototype? Again, we may never really know, unless Fender confirms, one way or another!
    Just My Thoughts & Ponderings,
    Gene

Green Craig likes this.
  17. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

You beat me to it. The link provided by Green Craig says:

The Bi-Flex Truss Rod (used on most American and American Deluxe Series instruments) was designed by Fender in the early 1980's. Unlike most truss rods, which allow only convex neck adjustments (back bow), the Bi-Flex allows you to adjust for either a concave or convex bow. If you tighten the truss rod nut it bows the neck backwards. As you loosen the nut you will find the neck's neutral position (the truss rod is not in use). If you continue to loosen the nut you will feel a renewed tightening as the rod pushes against the walnut dowel causing the neck to bow forward.

I have added the bold. This suggests that there is not a second nut.

18. Green Craig

Oops, you're absolutely correct.

19. The Ballzz

When I goggled it, I found pics and technical drawings etc. and it does indeed adjust at the headstock only!
    The Plot Thickens, Much Like A Chubby! :eek:
    Gene

And yes, I AM a sick puppy who should not be allowed to see the light of day! :p

20. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

My friend had one similar and bought it new around the same time, it was ash stained in Mocha looks really close to yours and weight was super heavy.