Join Strat-Talk Today

What Is Your DREAM Amp, Why, And What Makes It Great?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by AxRookie, Jul 8, 2019.

1. dbolt

dbolt Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

I bought my dream amp when I retired. A Carr Skylark. Now I almost always plug into the 5e3. Not letting go of the Carr any time soon though.

2. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-O-Master

Actually my dream amp would be a 50 watt Super Champ X2 head.

3. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Theoretically, a Dumbler of some variation. But I’d settle for a first generation Budda SuperDrive 18.

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

My 5e3. Play one and you'll know why it's my dream amp.

Nate D likes this.
  5. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talker

Reeves Custom 50.... But if I could have 3.....a Metropoulos Metroplex and a Friedman Dirty Shirley. :)

6. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

Early 70's JMP 1959 Super Lead, with one wire mod (which cascades preamp tubes for a SH!T load of gain), and a PPIMV.

Wait, that's actually pretty obtainable..had the same, and LOVED IT in a '74 1992 Super Bass.

7. AxRookie

AxRookie Strat-Talk Member

Any thoughts on the Kemper profiler? can they really be as good as they seem?

8. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

I think that the Kemper won't be as good as any of the amps it profiles. I mean "as good" as in being able to exactly replicate the sound and characteristics of the profiled amp. It probably comes pretty close though and it can come pretty close to 100's of amps, so if you want to sound almost like any of those amps without spending $200 000 on 100 different amps and needing a warehose to store them in then yeah, the Kemper will probably do OK.

It's not like the audience wil know the difference anyway.

9. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

Yes.

Its so close I can't tell the difference, Have you ever heard one? The profiler is more than OK, its awesome! A friend of mine bought one last year.....sold ALL his old amps, made some money, bought the Kemper and pocketed the rest. The Kemper is legit, people are just too nostalgic to let go of the old stuff.

Cerb likes this.
  10. s5tuart

s5tuart Resource limit reached Strat-Talk Supporter

My MK V combo is just delicious.
    Once you have one channel sorted the other two are easy peasy.
    There are a lot of options, true, but you can get almost any sound you like from it.
    I’ve not used it live yet but I’m guessing you’d need to accept a base of only using three (channels) tones (plus the solo boost and graphic in and out) whilst on stage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P-

11. AxRookie

hummm a lot to think about, My problem is sometimes I would like to sound like Alex from Rush when I'm playing my fav Rush songs, and other time I would like to sound like Dave from Megadeth when I'm playing my fav Megadeth songs, Or I'd like to sound like many other guitars OR sound like something I have in my head, BUT I'm in a home environment so I can only be appropriately loud, And on top of that I don't have a ton of room for a ton of equipment, It's all very frustrating and I hung up my guitar for a while because of it....

In the past I've gotten close to the sound I wanted at the time BUT if I messed with that setup to get a different sound I might not ever get back to the other sound without a lot of work if at all!

Again very frustrating!

BUT I still love the electric guitar and I can't let it go kind of like a bad woman that you love while she's driving you crazy BUT you can get her out of your head... You know?

s5tuart likes this.
  12. s5tuart

s5tuart Resource limit reached Strat-Talk Supporter

The Mesa MK V has a 10 watt setting that I can comfortably use at home in my apartment. And can sound like almost anything (in a good way)

13. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

Bludotone Bludo-Drive.

'Cause it's like a new Dumble, but doesn't cost $100K, looks really cool, sounds great (by all accounts) and chicks dig it...

s5tuart likes this.
  14. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

My 5E3 gets it done for me. That along with my Deluxe Reverb clone there is nothing else needed.

Stratoskater likes this.
  15. AxRookie

Thanks, How about the Eleven Rack? some have said they are better than a Kemper?

16. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Lately I've liked things that are practical. A few years ago, I sold my Fender Twin '65 Reissue (still a great amp, I'd admit) in favor of a Fender Mustang III v2 that I decided to replace it with. I quite like the Fender Mustang amp. I later heard about the Boss Katana amps and probably would have liked one of those too.
    Things I like about the Fender Mustang III v2:
    - It's a modeling amp and can be made to sound like multiple other amps. The sound is very versatile.
    - It's solid-state, meaning I won't have to worry about replacing tubes when they go bad
    - It costs much less than a traditional tube amp. When I got mine, the normal price was around $320, but I got mine on sale for about $292. For comparison, my Fender Twin '65 Reissue was around $1200 (I think).

17. Stratomike

Stratomike Strat-Talk Member

Love my Two Rock Custom Reverb. If money was no object I'd buy a TR Sterling Signature, just because it is fecking rare & looks cool as hell. :cool:

18. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

I've never played one, I've heard one being played and directly compared to whatever it was profiling. The Kemper sounded great but there was a difference between the Kemper and the original in that particular case, not better or worse, just a slight but noticeable difference.

I have no doubt they are good.

Grux likes this.
  19. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Only one important sentence here: I've never played one.

Cerb likes this.
  20. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Whether it would be a Kemper or some other modeler, if I could, I would have whichever was the state of the art in modeling. I like a lot of different kinds of music and I really, really can't see myself as a "one tube amp and roll up and down the guitar knobs." I think that works TREMENDOUSLY well for people that like a bunch of related tones, but I can't see it working for someone who likes a bunch of RADICALLY DIFFERENT tones.

Cerb and AxRookie like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.