1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

What is your go-to acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Duane_the_tub, May 23, 2020.

1. premier1

premier1 Strat-Talk Member

• Takamine EF-341C. guitar used by Bob Jovi,Bruce Springsteen,Toby Kieth, Best electronics in the business

Silvercrow likes this.
  2. BW89Poplar

BW89Poplar Strat-Talk Member

depending on the music, either the Martin D-28 or D-18

3. meat cheese meat

meat cheese meat Strat-Talk Member

My Larrivee OM-03 R.
    Why? It works well for strumming and fingerstyle, it's very well-balanced, the satin/matte finish feels much better than glossy, and the body size is comfortable. All solid woods (a must), rosewood and spruce - my preferred combo. It's not cheap, but worth it.

4. pmoore

pmoore Strat-Talk Member

1997 Guild F4ce

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  5. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

We remanufacture old department store guitars, I.e. Harmony, Kay, Silvertone, etc into new ‘real relic’ world class sounding and playing instruments. These are used on some of the biggest records being released today. These put new Martin’s, Taylor’s, Gibson’s, etc to shame for a much better price point.

Attached Files:

StratoMutt, Snoopy, dbolt and 2 others like this.
  6. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

In December 1987, I took my old 1975 Sears beginner guitar to Rufus Guitars, a local shop and had him spend a few hours setting it up, carving a new bridge and nut so I could pass it on to a friend of mine for a Christmas present for their son. Once Rufus was done with it, it was a fantastic playing little guitar. I’ve lost touch with the folks I gave it to but I keep an eye open for it on Craigslist in case it comes up. It was a good little player once it was all fixed up.

7. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

I own three acoustics, an Ovation standard, Applause Classical (made by Ovation... I like Ovations), and the third, which is my favorite. It's a no-brand, initially-dead guitar I got off Amazon for $39 just on a whim. It was unfinished, the neck badly warped, no decorations, literally unplayable. I spent a few months straightening the neck, adding decorations right out of the Ovation handbook and carefully drilling more sound holes, finished the surface, added acoustic electronics. It turned out to be the finest playing and finest sounding classical guitar I have ever owned. This is "my" guitar, my very favorite of all my collection (including electrics), pretty much resurrected from the dead. Photo in next post.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  8. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

9. Laphillyboy

Laphillyboy New Member!

I have seven acoustics starting with a budget 1940's ladder braced parlor. But for live performances (usuallly at my church) I inevitably use my 2011 Gibson Sparrow. It is my only dreadnought and has superior elecrronics for amplification.

In the early morning hours, before my family members wake up, I most often play my 1960's MIJ nylon string Classical. It's got no name or interior label so could be a Garcia/Ventura/Bruno/etc. All I know is it plays and sounds good.

But without a doubt, the acoustic guitar I grab the most when I am inspired to write a song or for just sitting around the house or on my patio is my Korean made Crafter TO-35/n. It is an Orchestra sized model with a solid Engelmann Spruce top and laminated Rosewood back and sides. Mine is the original non-cutaway version with no electronics. It looks, sounds and plays great. Imagine a Martin Eric Clapton 000-28EC for about one-tenth the price (obviously not the same quality or desirablility but similar in form and function). I can't speak to the current Crafter acoustics but this one made around 2010 is awesome. Love it. Curious to hear if any others have had a similar experience with a Crafter acoustic. - JC IMG_1307.JPG IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1305.JPG IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0816.JPG

10. Pdsor

Pdsor Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, and I am not sure the issue. Could just be strength in my left hand. I did take it to a local shop several months ago, hoping that a setup would help and they told me that it was set up great and that it was a matter of building up my strength. Anyway, I am not a very advanced player, so I think it is probably just that acoustics tend to be harder to play than electrics. Oh, and I do have 10s on it, so not much to do there.

11. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talk Member

I have an old beat up 1956 guild M20. Its a small mahogony guitar that sounds amazing, and looks like Willy Nelson played it for 50 years. I never go on vacation without it, I call it my beach guitar. It remains in a stand in my studio so, it's always at hand when I have a moment to play.

dwt77 and Duane_the_tub like this.
  12. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

My ONLY acoustic:

Takamine EF340SS TT

asymetrical neck, excellent tone and terrific electronics. (good Lord these have gone up in price since I bought mine!)

No personal pics but exactly like this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EF340STT--takamine-ef340s-tt-natural

Acoustically, every bit as good as the Martin D18SS I had. I don't play much acoustic anymore, but for me, this is one great guitar.

Brian

13. mjea80

mjea80 Lost In The Light Silver Member

Sweet acoustic!! Spruce top and rosewood back/sides right? I always liked those Waverly tuners much better than the standard Martin tuners. :thumb:

dbolt and Duane_the_tub like this.
  14. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

Ain't that the truth, about guitars in general...

15. Duane_the_tub

Wayfinder likes this.
  16. Duane_the_tub

Those old M-20s are solid gold. "The Nick Drake guitar." I have a new M-25, same basic model all-Hog concert-sized but with a bound body and a few other ornamental touches. I'd love to get my hands on an old one, though.

17. Seenya

Seenya Strat-Talk Member

Martin 000-18

martin_sm.jpg

18. dbolt

dbolt Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Right except the tuners are open gear Grovers. I actually played it for weeks before I realized they weren’t Waverlys.

mjea80 and Stratoskater like this.
  19. NorthCoastViking

NorthCoastViking New Member!

Until recent, a Collings DS1A has been my “baby”—but being a 12-fret, became limiting. Sadly, but necessarily sold, and now replaced with a new Taylor 717e Grand Pacific—I ❤️❤️ this guitar!! But that said, my Taylor GS Mini/Koa sits on a stand next to my couch—first grabbed in most cases!

20. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-O-Master

My Martin GPCPA4 now gets more playing time than all of my other guitars combined. 99% of my total life playing time has been on Strats but since I bought the Martin I can't set it down.

StratoMutt, GeejeeZ and Duane_the_tub like this.