1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

What is your go-to acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Duane_the_tub, May 23, 2020.

1. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

I know the feeling. I had a CS Strat that I loved, and I actually SOLD IT after I got my Martin because that's all I ever play now. I'm sure I will come back to electric at some point, but for now I can't put this thing down.

StratoMutt, rlongnt and GeejeeZ like this.
  2. mjea80

mjea80 Lost In The Light Silver Member

Hmm I would have done the same thing hah. Well look cool either way. :)

3. voxshall

voxshall Strat-Talk Member

1963 Gibson SJ for most things, Lowden O25 for fingerpicking and alternate tunings.

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  4. Mr Hockey

Mr Hockey Strat-Talker

I have 2 Martin guitars a D18 and 00015M. They both get the same amount of love!

StratoMutt, Duane_the_tub and GeejeeZ like this.
  5. GeejeeZ

GeejeeZ New Member!

Martin D-21 that keeps amazing me every day. I can hardly put it away and it seriously keeps me from playing electric.
    Also a 12- string Chinese built Guild F1512 that turns out to be a pain in the neck...

6. Southpa

Southpa Strat-Talk Member

HPIM4065.JPG

This is one I built myself. Figured maple back and sides, Sitka spruce top, purpleheart binding, ebony pyramid-style bridge. I copied the specs from the Ian Anderson Martin O-28. The original O-28 was discontinued in 1937. This one is No.2 the first was for a buddy who specifically asked for those specs in his guitar. I liked it so much I decided to build one for myself. A little guitar with a big sound!

My other best "go to" acoustics are both Fenders. I have an early 80's Gemini II, don't know what happened at the factory but they did something right, real nice , smooth neck to play on. I have friends who play Martins and Gibsons and they actually covet THIS guitar :). The other is a 3/4 size 1965 Fender Newporter, maple/rosewood electric style bolt-on neck. It was originally all mahogany student model. It had no top when I got it so I re-topped w/ spruce. I would take a 12-string set and split it in two. The regular strings would go on the Gemini II and the higher register would go on the Newporter, aka Nashville strung.

Mr Hockey, StratoMutt, dbolt and 4 others like this.
  7. DiamondsNRust

DiamondsNRust Strat-Talker

[​IMG]

Most definitely my Martin D-35.. My wife surprised me with it for Christmas several years ago.. she knew it was my dream acoustic and man does it play and sound great..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Any one of these, 3 Taylors (814ce, 458e, 714ce) and my trusty 1979 Yamaha 365s (Martin D-35 knockoff).

Most times, it's my 814ce that gets the call, outside of 12 string duty which goes to the 458e.

Acoustics.jpg

dbolt and Bowmap like this.
  9. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I have a good friend who has one. I'm not generally a Martin guy but that model is one of the finest I've ever played. So.....I want one. LOL

RaySachs likes this.
  10. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

11. byron0420

byron0420 Strat-Talk Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] AY YM-2 solid Cedar & Ovangol & my Hoboken Guild F20.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  12. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Strat-Talker

I've got 5 (sort-of) that are my "go-to" because of different genre of music.

My '65 Gibson LG-1 for Ballads, Folk Rock, Blues. I'll put it up against ANY Martin of any age and it's an equal or better.
    Gibson LG-1 1965 rare.jpg

My 1953 Gibson L-50 for Acoustic mic'ed Jazz, Swing, and Big Band. Nothing is better.
    L-50_1953_mine $1600.jpg

Whenever I got or get a studio Country, Bluegrass, Country Rock gig I've grabbed this baby since I bought it new in '84, a Gibson 100th Anniversary Gospel. Heaven with 6 strings.
    Gibson 1984 100 Anniv Gospel.jpg

My "Do anything almost, but mostly a "Rock" acoustic with Guild's impressive active Piezo pickup system w/5-band equalizer. 1971 Guild F45CE ... has a neck like a Stratocaster (not bolt-on, traditional glued-in). Body is 2/3rds depth, but nice full bodied sound even acoustic. Guild F45CE 1971.jpg

When you want a vintage 1960's Gibson Johnny Smith model, but you can't afford the $7,000 to $12,000 to buy one? You make one yourself. For big Jazz and Swing band gigs, I built this out of an acoustic only 1958 Kay made -Airline branded K-11, which was a "jumbo body" f-hole acoustic made for "Big Bands", it is LOUD! I ran across an authentic Gibson fully-enclosed Mini-Humbucker Neck Mount PuP from the 1950's, used 1950's CTS 500k Pots, wired it with vintage cloth covered 14ga wired and used a Gibson replica "combo pickup jack/strap button" that's mounted at the base of the body just like the Johnny Smith was. Also cut a replacement black pickguard from period phenolic plastic. Looked better. The sound is authentic and will blow your mind. Total cost to build - $115 for the Kay K-11 at an estate sale, $190 for the 1950's Gibson PuP, I had the supply of vintage 500k CTS pots and cloth wire, repro 1950's Amber Gibson Pot Knobs $15, Repro Combo Jack/Strap Button from StewMac $20 wholesale = $340, my time worth Millions$$. 1st picture original Kay/Airline K-11, 2nd picture fully modified as a Gibson Johnny Smith, 3rd picture a real 1960's Gibson "JS". Recently gave this to my son, another studio musician, for his birthday.
    Vintage Kay N-11 Sunburst Archtop Acoustic.JPG
    Kay-Airline K-11 Modified Electric sml 1024.jpg

1962 gibson johnny smith sml.jpg

13. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

It was supposed to be a short run, limited edition like most of the CEO series have been. But it’s been so popular it looks to be part of their regular line now. I think since all of their standard series 00 and 000 models have really narrow string spacing at the saddle and pretty skinny necks, this has become one of the few options with wider spacing and a fuller v-neck. And it’s between an 00 and 000 in body dimensions so it’s really comfortable to hold. Really affordable too, for what it is. First acoustic I’ve had in years that felt like, “yeah, this is all I need in an acoustic”...

soulman969 and Duane_the_tub like this.
  14. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Those are all fantastic! I love the L50. What a beauty.

Now I want to build a 1960's Gibson Johnny Smith replica. That’s the next best thing and totally doable.

15. LRS!

LRS! Strat-O-Master

Wow! There’s a lot of pretty wood coming by in this thread! My acoustics are limited to:

- a nylon string Yamaha CGX-171CGA with a combined internal mic and piezo under saddle pickup. For a nylon string it is very playable due to the slinky neck. It is not at all like original Spanish guitars, which is a good thing to me.

- a steel string Eastman AC-422CE with built in Fishman Matrix piezo pickup. This is an orchestra model. This one is the best sounding and playing steelstring I owned (I had Taylors in the past, both Mexican and US made), it is a very nice one, especially for the money it can hardly be beaten.

[​IMG]

dbolt and Duane_the_tub like this.
  16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

The only acoustics I have... image.jpg

17. Fender Phil

Fender Phil Strat-Talker

This is the acoustic guitar of choice for me. It didn’t cost much used, has an endearing look that beckons me to pick it up, has the neck of an electric Telecaster, and when paired with a good acoustic guitar amp (Traynor Acoustic Master Standard), and tweaked with my Fishman Aura, just simply rewards. It gives back tenfold what you put through it.
    image.jpg
    I have other, better woods guitars, that are technically rich in design and tone, but there is something that the frugal Fishman equipped, Chinese made Telecoustic, that intrinsically offers, and delivers. I can learn songs on this one, faster, easier, with less effort, in a carefree manner.

I actually play this guitar more than the other forty or so.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    dbolt, Duane_the_tub and mapleglo like this.
  18. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talker

Martin 000-18
    3C34B8C1-2394-40E4-84F3-C1E325453A7C.jpeg

19. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

That Guild is sweet. I have an M25.

20200505_143651.jpg

byron0420, dbolt and Neilybob like this.
  20. Neilybob

Neilybob Strat-Talker

I only have the one acoustic guitar which is this PRS Angelus custom. It's pretty sounding. [​IMG]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

dbolt, BW89Poplar and Duane_the_tub like this.