what kind of pick

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by EXTRABLUE, Feb 24, 2021.

1. kilroy

kilroy Strat-Talk Member

Dunlop gator grip 1.14mm (blue). I like the grip, I haven't dropped a pick in years. I used to use yellow Fender mediums. I used yellow ones because they were easy to find when you dropped them :) Bad thing about the Gator grips is that the pick material is soft - one pick slide and you get a deep notch in the pick.

2. Imtxn

Imtxn Strat-Talk Member

I use all of these, but for different reasons depending on the time. At 73 with severe arthritis in both hands I use picks that assist me gripping the slippery little devils. When I was younger it was all about hearing the difference in tone each material or shape would deliver.
    My fave was the pinkish 50mm Dunlap tortex. I think they were called a shark pick. So Cool, because by holding the pick in different positions many tones are possible. D6A8071C-BA1E-4DDF-AF0E-2EF55B8E472E.jpeg

GeejeeZ likes this.
  3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

These IMG_20210226_143127874_MP.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Markus Maurer

Markus Maurer New Member!

I bought a 2mm of these some years ago, because the gator on the black surface looks great. I will never change again, they are unbelievable!

sssstratsss likes this.
  5. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

Dunlop Ultex Jazz III. Buy a dozen and you are done. For rhythm, roll it to one of the shoulders and for lead use the point.

When they get really dull, take some sand paper and "sharpen" them back to a point. You can probably do this four or five times and keep the same general shape. I'm still on my first dozen and I play a few hours a day..

The ONLY downside is that once they hit the floor, they're very hard to find. You could hit them with a little pink spray paint if that becomes a problem for you.

6. harrisonguitars

harrisonguitars New Member!

Since I don't gig out much anymore, I started using the Blue Chip 35's for both acoustic and electric. As long as you don't lose them they're really worth the cost to me. Blue Chip 2.jpg This one is about five years old and I play a lot.

Cali Dude, Keith268 and StratoMutt like this.
  7. sttrat714

sttrat714 Strat-Talk Member

Fender Thins usually. Mediums work too. I tried others, but...old dog/ new tricks.

8. Irzal

Irzal Strat-Talk Member

Orange Dunlop Tortex (0.60 mm) - acoustic, electric, fine picking, heavy riffage - does it all just fine

9. dudafun

dudafun Strat-Talk Member

Dunlop Tortex red, about 50 gauge, medium because they don't break. Twang!

10. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

I use an assortment of heavy to medium on acoustic along with a cow horn pick I use on my mandolin.
    Light heavy to medium on electrics but regardless of the thickness I heat up the pick with a lighter on one side of the big end and mold the corner of it to the curve on the inside of my thumb.
    It gives it a scooped look and gauges perfectly the amount I want to use and can be used on the point or the fat side that is not molded..

11. libertarian

libertarian Strat-O-Master

I'm picky about picks (I'm here all weekend, try the veal). The differences are obvious with acoustics. But even with electrics I think trying different picks can have more impact than many of the other little things we spend money on. Switching to small Jazz III style picks many years ago helped with my technique I believe. It forces you to be more economic with your movements. Of those my go to picks are the Eric Johnson and the small Petrucci ones. The Ultex of the Petrucci actually sounds slightly better, but the red Johnson picks are more visible and yet still feel and sound better than the original Jazz IIIs. I occasionally try other ones but those are the tow types I've always come back to and keep a stash around.
    I wish there was a way to custom order Jazz III picks with the original materials.

kdines likes this.
  12. wapalmer3

wapalmer3 New Member!

I used to use thin delrin picks, but one of the fellows I worked with felt that when I was strumming with them, I was behind the beat. After a lot of practice and close observation, I figured out that the delrin picks were deforming when I put a lot of pressure on them, so I returned to what I had originally learned with. I had some old tortoise shell picks that I had purchased back when they were legal. By taking a very shallow bite, I became much more precise. Of course, tortoise shell picks are no longer legal, and the ones that people push at conventions, etc. are not made correctly anyway. I switched over to some heavy duty Fender picks, ca. 1.5 mm thick. And that's what I've used ever since.

My old teacher, Paul Buskirk, used this kind of pick. He treated it like a bow. For rapid work, he took a very shallow bite with the pick. Sometimes, for an accent, he would take a little deeper bite.

I don't need a $35.00 pick to get the results I want.

13. Zippofan

Zippofan Strat-Talk Member

I like trying different picks, but keep coming back to good ole Fender celluloid medium 351's. I can't hang onto 1.5mm picks, never mind some of those huge thick ones.

I've tried Gravity Classic standard 1.5mm (too thick for me)
    Tusq regular and vintage .7mm, second favorite
    V-Picks Tradition ultra light 351 style .8mm
    Herco nylon for a change of pace.
    Clayton Ultam
    Dunlop Tortex
    Dava nylon
    Snark celluloid
    Dunlop Jazz III - keep dropping those
    Dunlop Primetone - I like these too

I like the Tusq picks a lot but they wear pretty quickly, nice sound though.

14. Imtxn

Imtxn Strat-Talk Member

Think about it! Listen to the tone difference when striking the strings with different materials or even shapes.
    You can attack the string as many ways as you can imagine each way results in a different sound. Those bumpers will sound dirty, the sharp tip very clean and accurate. You can even creat a double hit by using two tips at once with the concave side held parallel to the strings.
    Hell, Edge got his name from his picking style & Page used a violin bow.
    What I am saying is why use one. Use them all!
    I remember seeing a 16 year old kid playing a bicycle with a saw & hammer on the Steve Allen Show when I was little. Now there was an imagination!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    StratoMutt likes this.
  15. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

Makes sense. A double hit sounds enticing.

16. Homer

Homer New Member!

Screenshot_20200216-093756.png Screenshot_20200221-233713.png I like these two.

17. Kmanshaman

Kmanshaman Strat-Talk Member

18. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

IMG_1763.JPG

Left - Primetone - I can hold onto these so easily.
    Middlle - Dunlop Max Grip
    Right - is a new one for me. Slick Grip.

Not pictured are my Dunlop nylons. I lose them before wearing them out.

19. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

Then there is my oldest pick...

Fossil Pick.jpg

A few thousand years in the making :)

20. jd35801

jd35801 Strat-Talk Member

Really like my V-picks: 4990E641-89B8-476B-873D-504ED4775242.jpeg