What model is this body? Anyone?

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
I have a duplicate Strat body that I was going to build into a twin, unfortunately, the build quality of the body (imported) is not up to par with the paint job.
Once I get a decent work area cleaned out, I'm going to have to do some filling and redrilling of a number of holes to make it right.
What's the best way to drill into a painted guitar without cracking thr paint? Obviously a very sharp drill but anything else? Turn the drill CCW to start a point to drill or something?

At some point I'm going to replace my T-style pickguard and it'll have to have a few holes filled and redrilled so I was just wondering. Luckily I realized that if I buy a 5 hole pg, it might work in my favor. Less holes to be out of place and I can add the other 3 with a drill and countersink bit. Thanks, brother!

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
What's the best way to drill into a painted guitar without cracking thr paint? Obviously a very sharp drill but anything else? Turn the drill CCW to start a point to drill or something?

At some point I'm going to replace my T-style pickguard and it'll have to have a few holes filled and redrilled so I was just wondering. Luckily I realized that if I buy a 5 hole pg, it might work in my favor. Less holes to be out of place and I can add the other 3 with a drill and countersink bit. Thanks, brother!
Brad point, and yes, go reverse until you cut through the finish.
I've had good luck with using step drills for switches and pots.

I'm not too concerned on this one, as the neck and neck plate will cover the neck mounting holes (they're at an angle!), and the bridge pivot holes may or may not be correct.
Right now, if I mount the bridge, it will not pivot... the rear of the block hits the opening. I'm suspecting that the paint is simply too thick and I can shave down the leading edge of the opening enough to clear it, but before doing anything, I'll be laying a template over the body to confirm everything... will need that to drill the neck mounting holes in any case.
The pickguard and neck pocket seem to line up properly with the bridge pivot holes... I've been sitting on it for a couple of years and it's not been a priority. It and the Tele are/will be basically wall-hangers, but I want them both to be playable.

Skinny Nitro

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 21, 2013
Merseyside UK
Pickups are Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Surfers, hand signed as usual by the man himself. They are meant to be distressed!
There's a great review from Antigua here

Sparque

Seriously-Stratified
Nov 20, 2019
Harvest, AL
Back in high school, my future brother in law Jerry drove a Chevy Nova SS in that paint scheme.

It looked a bit like this one.
:)

chevrolet-nova-nova-blue_7888459106.jpg

Exhead

Strat-Tinkerer
Jun 19, 2014
Temples of Syrinx
Pickups are Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Surfers, hand signed as usual by the man himself. They are meant to be distressed!
There's a great review from Antigua here
Thanks for the link. I will check it out. Wow the link to the pup spreadsheet on Antigua's signature is extensive.

Back in high school, my future brother in law Jerry drove a Chevy Nova SS in that paint scheme.

It looked a bit like this one.
:)

chevrolet-nova-nova-blue_7888459106.jpg

That is a nice looking muscle car. Yep looks similar to guitar.
Nice find! That's a pretty cool paint job!
Thanks. I really like it myself.

Last edited:

Exhead

Strat-Tinkerer
Jun 19, 2014
Temples of Syrinx
Also Shawn at Guitarpaintguys replied back to my info request from their weblink and I sent pics via email to him to check out and let me know what he knows about painting this guitar for the former owner. I will find out how many were done like this if I can too. I did not find another in my searches like this, only the option image on their site came up, nothing "in the wild".

Last edited:

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
No completely different place very near me though. This is just the first guitar I bought yesterday, I bought 2 at the same place but only working on discovery of this one right now. The other one was a great deal with a few bonuses when I got home.

There was one of these there too.
View attachment 608669

All the pedals and amp are all smelly of cigarette smoke. Anyone who is not a smoker would have to work a little hard to clean it all up.. The amp would have to set in a garage for a year before you could bring it in.

I hear you about the smoke - my dad was a smoker (actually he was one of those smokers who would light one, take a couple of drags and then let it burn down in the ashtray, then repeat the process - so 2.5 packs a day but really smoked about 1 pack out of the 2.5) but I never did; I can't stand to be around heavy smoke these days and would have to air-out anything like that before I brought it into the house.

Exhead

Strat-Tinkerer
Jun 19, 2014
Temples of Syrinx
I hear you about the smoke - my dad was a smoker (actually he was one of those smokers who would light one, take a couple of drags and then let it burn down in the ashtray, then repeat the process - so 2.5 packs a day but really smoked about 1 pack out of the 2.5) but I never did; I can't stand to be around heavy smoke these days and would have to air-out anything like that before I brought it into the house.
Stopped 23 years ago and if its drenched in nicotine its repulsive. So glad I quit more money for guitars!

Exhead

Strat-Tinkerer
Jun 19, 2014
Temples of Syrinx
Got a message back from guitarpaintguys.com.

"
Hi,

Yes! We did finish this one. Probably a little over 10 years ago.

It was a refinish of the factory guitar body, and I have included some pictures of the finish from that time for you to check out.

Sad to hear that the original owner has passed. I do recall that he absolutely loved that guitar, so no doubt it was played A LOT!

Looks like you have got it looking good again.

Thanks for sharing the recent pics, and I hope that guitar treats you well!

Have a good evening!

-Shawn
GuitarPaintGuys
[email protected]"

My next question via email" How many of this paint scheme did you produce?"

Shawn said:

"Hi,

You have a unique 1 of a kind!

Thank you so much for sharing, and enjoy that guitar!

-Shawn
GuitarPaintGuys
[email protected]"

This first image is the image one their website that is the only image I can find of a guitar exactly like this. I appreciate the history and the guitar itself.

IMG_20140510_130819.jpg
IMG_20140510_130756.jpg
IMG_20140510_130850.jpg
ChromeBlueStrat_progress (1).jpg
ChromeBlueStrat_progress (2).jpg

Last edited: