What on earth have I bought?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Fingers McGraw, May 5, 2021.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

If it was a "joke" it must have got lost in translation. No, no shame on me for correcting such a ridiculous comment as "And he said it sound glorious, not something the chinese are known for".

And what does your "class" have to do with anything? And who said that China did make great guitars in the 1980s? That's nothing to do with anything, we're talking about 2021.

So if we defend the current quality of Chinese made guitars we are "representatives from the chinese consulate lurking around ST". Dear oh dear oh dear... :rolleyes:

3bolt79, Esg877 and Cerb like this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Most likely an MIJ 80s/90s model, recut and labeled headstock.

Is the body thinner than normal?

I once had a 'Maxon' branded guitar that looked like that. But there were many retailer private label guitars chasing the low price points of the market.

Do a full fret level and setup and you can have a good player.

Esg877 likes this.
  3. marcostrumm

marcostrumm Strat-Talk Member

nope I definitely do not:sneaky:

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

iu.jpeg

3bolt79, CB91710 and Cerb like this.
  5. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

-Capt. Kirk, I think Mr. Spock is unable to grasp sarcasm, irony and humour in general... :(

- Dear Lord, Dr. McCoy, I think you're right... but he's a valuable and loyal member of the Strat-tal...I mean, The Enterprise! And we DO NOT leave any of our men behind. I'm sure he'll get it eventually, especially that part about a 'ridicuclous comment'. He MUST search the Enterprise database and find out that ridiculous comes from the Latin word 'ridiculus' meaning "laughable, funny, absurd," and also in the sense of "concerned with jokes," Latin has the word 'ridicularius'. So, if he thinks my comment was ridiculous, he is on the right track!!!

There is still hope!! Please, focus our transport beans on him, in order to bring him back onto the ship! We do not leave any of ours behind, EVER!!

Lighten up, my friend. My "class" has nothing to do with it. I'm upper middle class, I'm a succesful software developer making more money than 99% of brazilians, and I'm not against anyone or anything regardless of their 'class'. Live and let live.

This Covid thing has everybody on edge. Lighten up. If you've suffered any losses in your family, I'm sincerely sorry, and my prayers go to you and your family. Please be safe and trust the Lord's designs.

FWIW, here, in Brazil, import goods are CRAZY expensive and not readily available. A CV Squier retails for around R$6 thousand Reais (our money) which would exchange to around US$1,3 thousand dollars. That's right, a CV costs us 1,3 thousand dollars. No joke.

We pay, due to taxes and all the sh!t of third world countries, about 3x as much as you do, so we mostly play chinese guitars ALL THE TIME.

So, I'm PRETTY upset when people tell me that the chinese guitars I've been playing and setting up MY WHOLE LIFE makes me a person who 'has no idea what he's talking about'. Trust me: I have more idea of what I'm talking about than most members on this website, but I'm not angry or resentful about it. It was my choice to live here, with all the pros and cons.

I hope you are safe and healthy, and so is your family. My best regards to you all.

CGHguitars likes this.
  6. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

I'm always surprised abot how Americans take things so 'to the letter'. We brazilians are always joking and making tongue-in-cheek comments.

You did not hurt my feelings, be at ease. In fact, I've been through so much in life, and brazilians are so tough in general, my feelings are tougher than Mike Tyson on meth. :)

I'm always joking, as is common in my country. We are a bunch of jokers, and sarcasm is our second language. Maybe this does get lost in translation.

If you ever come around, I'll show you around and you'll have a great time w/ barbecues, pretty women and friendly jams w/ great musicians. You'll have a blast, despite what the press tells about us. Just keep the company of us residents and you'll be fine, we'll take you to the best places and the best beaches that tourists don't even kow about. Like any other country, I guess.

CGHguitars and Cerb like this.
  7. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I'm not American :p

8. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

My God, you're not, are you? :eek:

Perhaps it was a joke? o_O

Esg877 and Cerb like this.
  9. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

It all depends on the delivery, and the problem that we can't see each other's faces, and the available emoji on the forum are a bit lacking.
    There's also subtle differences in how humor is given and received by those from various countries... Brits have a notoriously dry sense of humor, yet Thrupny Bits frequently misunderstands my dry humor and thinks I'm serious, and I sometimes his.

The language barrier also causes a lot of jokes to be missed, as much humor is based on secondary meanings of words that may not translate to mean the same thing.
    "Hi, I'm Bob, this is my wife, she's Randy"... Humorless introduction to an American, and funnier than heck to a Brit.

John C, Esg877 and stratman323 like this.
  10. Mike Furlong

Mike Furlong Strat-O-Master

Glad to hear it ;):thumb:

marcostrumm likes this.