What other pedal is like a Boss Blues Driver?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by TIMB, Jan 8, 2021.

1. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

Just curious to other options. I’ve never been a big Boss fan.

Ocd ?
    Ehx Crayon ?

Im not looking for anything expensive or boutique. Looking for something to drive a muff and a rat,and for use on it’s own. Trying to get some Gilmore tones at home.

I’ve also have been thinking about trying a Source Audio L.A. Lady. I has all kinds of things built in and I already have a Gemini and Collider, but just not sure.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

i like analog.man's Bad Bob. it goes from lovely added clean oomph to actual dirt (but not a lot, the right amount.)

Stratoskater and TIMB like this.
  3. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

A TS9, Maxon 808 or any other tube screamer clones are in the neighborhood imho.

Stonetone, Cerb and TIMB like this.
  4. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @TIMB -Buddy

You might like an Xotic B.B. Preamp..It has EQ and is British voiced.

Another option is maybe see if your Mesa amp has a reccomended setting for violin like drive.
    I think Gilmour usually had his Hiwatt amps set for a really smooth fat sound

Cerb and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

I would try the boss blues driver. I got a used like new in the box for $45 on CL.

I think I have $90 total invested in my favorite pair, EHX soul food into a TC mojomojo.

I didn’t like the ocd.

6. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

I have a Source Audio King maker Fuzz it can do what the LA Lady can and the LA Lady can do what the King maker does something like 40 different pedals and each can be tweeked how you want useing there app. Only difference is the what the toggle names are. which can be used to save 3 presets And like I said each preset can be setup how you want, more gain, graphic EQ, Noise Gate, and you can set up the left and right for different types of Fuzz/Distortion/Overdrive 40 of them to choose from.

TIMB likes this.
  7. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

definitely been considering a ts type also.

8. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

my Mesa’s do have that quality that I can adjust them to but the trick is to add a fuzz. I can’t get it to sound right being it’s before the amps gain. I haven’t tried it in the loop though.
    I also have a Roland Jc40 that I was hoping it would work with.

9. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

This is probably what I’ll end up trying and just having a total SA board and I think it’ll work better with a Roland Jc, but haven’t ever tried one to be sure.

10. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

I would thin it will work with the roland JC just fine. They are known to be a pretty clean Amp.

TIMB likes this.
  11. errikwong

errikwong Strat-O-Master

Hi OP, hopefully this is useful for you:

A buddy and I recently went down to a local guitar store to shoot out between a Boss BD-2, the BD-2w Waza Craft edition, as well as the Keeley Super Phat Mod, which is apparently their take on the BD-2, and comes from a lineage of Keeley and his BD-2 Phat mod.

I happen to have experience with the Keeley-modded BD-2, having owned one for the better part of 10 years. Keeping in mind I did sell this pedal a few years back, so any references to the Keeley-modded BD-2 is based purely on memory.

Long story short, the BD-2, BD-2w in S mode, and Keeley SPM in Flat mode sounded exactly the same as one another via the Marshall Origin 20 we were using as a clean pedal platform in that store.

When the BD-2w is in C mode, you get a bit more mids and low-mids, and it sounds very much like what my Keeley modded-BD-2 sounded like with the Phat switch engaged.

The Keeley SPM with the Phat switch engaged sounds different to the Keeley-modded BD-2, and is very different from the BD-2w in C mode. SPM with phat switch engaged sounds deeper, so more lows and low-mids.

In the end, my buddy went home with the Keeley SPM, and he seems pretty happy with it, as a low-gain plexi-style rhythm tone.

For my money, I'd keep an eye out for a Keeley-modded BD-2, or simply buy a BD-2 and mod it yourself, the internet has so much resource for this as-is.

TIMB likes this.
  12. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

Thanks ! Great info !

That’s kinda why I made this post, there’s so many different options and pedals out there. I get confused and turned around easily.
    I just need to buy one and be done with it. The more I think, the hesitant I become.

13. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I'd say look no further. The Boss Blues Driver is such a great pedal at an affordable price. It even sounds good going straight into the DAW with no amp at all.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/TgRhu

14. Mahoot

Mahoot Strat-Talker

Sadly not in the UK anytime soon. I've had one on pre-order. My supplier was expecting stock arriving today but now pushed back by 3 months. All other suppliers I've checked say much the same.

TIMB and Cerb like this.
  15. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

I found this video yesterday and really enjoyed it, he talks about the blues driver too.

TIMB and soulman969 like this.
  16. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

A staple / classic pedal. I used one for a long time. Only issue was it get fizzy past 12 o clock on the gain knob - I had the Fromel mod done and it was fantastic after that. Nice thick lower end and no fizz.

but, as above, I liken it to basically a plexidrive- type pedal. Very British in tone IMO. Tones of plexi style pedals
    Out there that are probably better made.

If you have the dough - the Wampler Plexidrive Deluxe is an awesome pedal.

rafasounds and TIMB like this.
  17. Highway Chile

Highway Chile Strat-Talker

A Tube Screamer isn't like a Blues Driver (they aren't even in the same neighborhood imo). Both are great, but one pumps up the mids while the other one almost scoops them. I think the OCD is probably the best substitute if you don't want the Boss. YMMV.

18. Mustrat

Mustrat Strat-Talker

I used a Mooer Blues Mood for a while before recently getting a Blues Driver Waza. The Blues Mood was close enough, based on the Keeley modded versions of the Blues Driver and pretty cheap.

I'll even be selling one soon...

These aren't like Tube Screamers in circuit or sound at all.

TIMB likes this.
  19. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I will suggest the Barber Gain Changer. It is similar to the BD in being very transparent/organic sounding. Nothing at all like a Tube Screamer. The Gain Changer is extremely versatile.

Tele56 and TIMB like this.
  20. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I'm about as big a Gilmour geek as you can meet and have been down that road. I have a Joyo Ultimate Drive which is an OCD clone. I found putting the OD after the Muff works well but what helped smooth out the Muff the most was putting my Dyna comp before the Muff. It yielded a much better result for "Gilmour" like tones than when I had the OD before. Its tough to achieve at low volume though. The Muff/OD/Comp combo really needed plenty of volume to bite and sing like I wanted. I haven't tried the Rams Head Reissue but this was with the Triangle reissue. Honestly I ended up sticking a Metal Zone on my chain and hitting it with the compressor for the super saturated lead tone and my neighbors are much happier.

All depends on what your setup and needs are. For some of his earlier Fuzz tones I have a DOD Gunslinger that works REALLY well and isn't as finicky as a Fuzz as far as placement.

TIMB likes this.