Join Strat-Talk Today

What say ye about this 02-04 CIJ strat? Real? Value?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by brobar, Apr 24, 2017.

1. brobar

brobar Strat-Talk Member

Found this listed as a 93-94 MIJ strat though the neck would mean it is an 02-04 CIJ strat if everything is legit. This would be my first Fender (I've only had Ibanez and Gibsons). Can anyone tell me if everything seems square based on the pics? Were there 02-04 CIJ strats that looked like this? I wouldn't know how to spot a fake so pointers or advice? What value would you place on it if legit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cosmetic blemishes don't bother me, but I want to make sure it is original and what it is advertised as (though the advertised year was wrong). What can you tell me about it and should I give it a go?

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Looks great to me. Let's hear from @Guitarmageddon our expert on those.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 The wizard next door..... Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks good to me, too. However, I'm no expert, myself, on the Japanese models.

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Think it's a ST57. Could be basswood but would have to see pics of neck pocket or pups routing to confirm.
    Electronics look all original. Looks like decent set of pups too.
    What's the asking price and does it come with a case?
    The neck is quite likely a 7.25 radius which will feel different from the Gibson or Ibanez.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Looks good to me. I had a similar era model a while back and I remember leafing through a few of the catalogues for the CIJ range at the time. If I remember correctly, lots of the models had Texas Special pickups while others had another set of USA pickups (possibly American Vintage ones...)

The one I had was lovely, very lightweight and fantastic construction (as with so many of the CIJ strats), but a bout of GAS eventually convinced me to move it on...

EDIT: Looks a bit like this one:

[​IMG]

Yves and Fendereedo like this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

It looks fine to me. I'd hit it... :cool:

7. Hippieway

Hippieway Strat-Talker

Not an expert but I am an owner of a CIJ Strat and your pics look similar to mine. If it turns out to be legit, a nice CIJ is a great way way to enter the wonderful world of Fender.

8. brobar

brobar Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it. Are there any tell-tale signs that would indicate if this is Vintage Premium vs Vintage (Tx Special vs ST vintage without popping the neck first to see the naked wood)? I can't see anything in that list pic that gives away which pickups those would be.

Yves likes this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the forum! @brobar

The guitar is NOT from 1993-94, it's 2002-2004.

The blob of solder on the back of the volume pot where all 3 pickup black wires connect looks not original / not factory....those pickups are probably not original....

There is NO way of knowing what level the guitar was at this point without taking the neck off to check the body wood and look for model number stamps....it's an ST-57 of some kind....

How much is the guitar? I'd say because it's not a 90s/80s more sought after model, it's worth about $400-ish in the USA....for the guitar by itself with no case....

if it's 500-600 or more, walk away....

Yves likes this.
  10. brobar

brobar Strat-Talk Member

We did a little back and forth yesterday. He listed at $550. I came back at $425. He said $450. I said let me look at it first... so I'm going prob Wed to look it over. I appreciate all the feedback and things to look for.

Thanks.

11. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

That was my thought when I saw the 8 hole pickguard and the heel truss rod adjustment.

$450 would be a good price on this!

Fendereedo and Yves like this.
  12. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Wasn't there just another thread recently with pickups similar to those? They have that unusual indentation in the bottom.

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. brobar

brobar Strat-Talk Member

I was hoping that they would be the Texas Specials, but that may not be the case. Could they be the '57/'62 Vintage? From images I've seen of the 57/62... these look similar. But then again... I don't have a skilled enough eye to tell. All pickups look the same to me. =)

The '57/'62 Vintage pups kind of makes sense if it is marketed as a '57 vintage custom with ST Vintage USA pickups.

Let's say they are the '57/'62 Vintage... anyone have thoughts on those compared to the Texas Specials? Obviously I'll listen to them myself and if I purchase give them some time to develop my own thoughts on likes/dislikes and if I want to keep/replace them. I'm a big SRV fan and play lots of his stuff as well as other blues (Bonamassa, ZZTop, etc...). If it isn't there already, I would like to set her up replicate SRV's tone as much as can be replicated (outside of the fingers of course).

14. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

The Texas Specials would be a fair bit hotter, which is intended to get close to the SRV tone I think but isn't to everybody's taste. I personally really like the 57/62 vintage pickups and, for what it's worth, those pickups look identical to the CIJ I had (which was the 57/62s). I don't have a clear pic of the volume pot to check what the soldering looked like on mine but the pickups look the same (if not the wiring).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brobar likes this.
  15. brobar

brobar Strat-Talk Member

hhhmmmmm... someone brought up a good point on another forum. They more than likely would NOT be the '57/'62 vintage because those will have beveled pole pieces like this:

[​IMG]

And the ones in the image the seller sent me are definitely flat and not beveled.

Now the Texas Specials I've seen online are flat pole pieces, but these don't have the red/blue dots on the pups like most claim the Texas Specials to have. So I really don't know. Maybe they are neither? I wish there was a way to tell.

16. Guitarmageddon

Fender Japan did not ever use 57/62's stock...I'm 99.5% sure they have been changed from original...

17. Guitarmageddon

They can't be Fender 57/62's stock from Japan....unless they were changed....

18. brobar

brobar Strat-Talk Member

And it appears it doesn't have the yellow wire to the center pickup so that would rule out Texas Specials too.

Do you know what ST-Vintage (USA) pickups they DID use as stock pickups in Japan since the 57/62's have been ruled out?

19. Guitarmageddon

I've explained to you 3 times now that your pickups are not stock....judging by the soldering evidence and what I know about what Fender Japan was using at the time....

I don't know what they are but I don't think they are original to the guitar...

Some older 57/62's from 90s AVRI Fender guitars did not have beveled tops....

Do you have a multimeter you could check DC resistance with?

20. brobar

brobar Strat-Talk Member

I understand that, and that is not what I was asking. I'm trying to learn... so for my own edification I was asking if you knew what pickups they actually DID use stock during that era for this guitar... no matter what is actually in my guitar.

But I don't guess I really need to know and learn that. It's not that important. Just knowledge. I apologize if my asking and trying to learn about guitars from that factory and era struck a nerve. This may not be the correct place for that. Thanks again for the info you have provided though. It was very much appreciated. I hope you have a great day!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.