What Song Made You Want to Play a Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JP68, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Strat-Talker

From the first moment of this song, I was drawn to the Strat sound; I think it was 1976 or so...

JP68 likes this.
  2. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Songs by Jimi Hendrix and Ritchie Blackmore.

It took me over 40 years to build a proper one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Burn the Sky and Blackmore Fan like this.
  3. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

I was around 10 yo at the time. I got a cassete tape of Dire Strait's firts album, and I listened to "Sultans of Swing" in complete awe (actually the whole album blew me away). I couldn't believe such sounds were even possible. It was like waking up.

Then eventually I saw a picture of Mark playing his legendary red Strat and everything fell into place. I understood that only that strange, space-like instrument could be responsible for that music. That day I knew my piano lessons would be dead shortly, and I picked up my family's naylon acoustic for the first time, in preparation, and I started having Strat dreams.

To this day, it's the guitar I play the most and couldn't live without.

Hendrix came a few years later with the music and the acid trips and the girls. And life was good.

4. Stratman84

Stratman84 Strat-Talker

Eric Clapton - Cocaine

albala and Blackmore Fan like this.
  5. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

It wasn’t a song. I had a LP Studio and got an instructor as an adult. She played a parts built Strat with EMGs and a Floyd Rose. She played (sand still plays) all styles on that guitar. I had a chance to play it, and there was just something about that guitar that resonated with me. got rid of the LP and built a similar Strat. It was my (single) electric guitar for quite a while. I still have it.

JP68 and Blackmore Fan like this.
  6. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

I just wanted to play guitar and I knew a Strat was a real guitar. So, really, I just kind of landed on it accidentally, and then I realized they were a good working class guitar that could take a lot of abuse. I’ve pretty much ditched strats these days, but my strats are what taught how to play.

JP68 likes this.
  7. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

If I could design Clapton's perfect live 15 song setlist, this one would be played 5th in the show. Not because its the 5th best, but because the audience would be properly warmed up and ready for this MONSTER of a song.

"Wonderful Tonight" and "Tears in Heaven" wouldn't even make the cut.

8. Linc Gray

Linc Gray Strat-Talk Member

Bell Bottom Blues from the Layla album.

JP68 likes this.
  9. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

It wasn't A song...

I used to get along with a brother in law...

One day I posed him an improperly constructed question...
    [What is your favorite guitar]
    He said Stratocaster...
    Thinking he meant my Stratocaster is my best guitar...
    Instead of him saying
    Stratocaster is the best in my estimation...
    Or
    Something...

Went shopping
    Bought a MIM highway one.

10. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

images.jpeg

vid1900 and Sarnodude like this.
  11. Boppy

Boppy Strat-Talker

Oh, boy. This one for sure...

Sarnodude and Blackmore Fan like this.
  12. StratDlx

StratDlx Strat-Talk Member

Sultans of Swing, Lazy, Sweet Home Alabama

13. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-O-Master

No song. I was actually an SG guy. I let a friend borrow a bass for a show, the strap locks failed during a guitar spin and he returned it to me with a broken neck and a MIM strat to apologize for it. I wasn't too heart broken about the bass. It was cheap, plus I knew the risk when I let him borrow it. I wasn't much of a bass player any way. But I bonded with the strat. I've been a Fender guy ever since. That was about 15 years ago.

14. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

When I first heard Jimi play Purple Haze.

Burn the Sky likes this.
  15. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-O-Master

SRV and David Gilmour were big influences on me...so that started it. The Strat came last for me...had a Tele, LP and 335 first...but two examples of really great Strat tone that springs to my mind are these...the first guy is known for playing a LP....but this song is his '55 hard tail...just a great Strat neck pickup tone. The second is well, unmistakable Strat...

Pandamasque and JP68 like this.
  16. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Strat specifically?

In hindsight, it was just Jimi in general, Little Wing and Wind Cries Mary specifically.

I honestly never thought or cared about who played what. Still don't. I only had a Tele Deluxe for about 12 years, never thought about getting anything else, never played anything else, didn't know about the differences between electric guitars other than looks. But then I started getting into it, got it in my head that I'd been playing too long to have never held a Strat before, so I found a great deal on CL. This was less than two years ago.

Bam, that was it. My first Strat, my first single coil, and it was like magic. I thought, oh, that's right, that's what I love, that's what I've been listening to all these years. Then I started feeling Jimi more, as a player and listener. And I really started appreciating SRV more than I ever did prior -- "Lenny" live at El Mocambo is possibly my favorite recording of any song ever. But Jimi.

JP68 likes this.
  17. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

There wasn't really any specific song or artist that made me want a Strat initially, in fact for the first couple of years I was playing, I thought I preferred Gibsons. But for some reason I gravitated more towards Strats (well, Strat copies) and so I kind of got used to the shape and layout. But still I was always trying to make them sound like Gibsons, until I discovered SRV - which more or less coincided with me finally getting a Fender.

JP68 likes this.
  18. GuitarGeni

GuitarGeni Strat-Talk Member

Greetings everyone, I'm new here, so bear with me. :)

Saw this question the other day and I didn't have an answer. Then I saw a YouTube video of Sultans of Swing that reminded me! That song really sticks out for me of the thousands that were popular during the 60s, 70s, 80s & beyond featuring the Stratocaster.

Really though, the Strat made me want to play the Strat, not any one song.

The first Strat I ever played was a late 90's Squier Pro Tone and I couldn't put it down. Despite the fact that I was raised in a "Gibson is better" household, I brought it home with me. I quickly realized that many of my favorite songs were played on the Stratocaster. I can't say that I really paid attention, knew or cared what guitars were used on what songs until then. After that I would notice that different guitars would inspire me to play certain songs. I'm sure most people have experienced this, but it all started with that Squier Pro Tone Strat.

JP68 likes this.
  19. MagnusR

MagnusR Senior Stratmaster

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  20. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

I couldn't care less about Strats growing up, even being a big Hendrix fan, the guitars my idols used were never important to me. I learned to play on an LP. Then years later my father bought himself a Strat when I was maybe 16? I wasn't even really excited to try it, then one night we went down to the basement and I played it loud. Something happened, it felt like it was made for me. It brought out something in me and I still clearly remember my dad saying "you're a Strat man" as I was playing it for the first time. I was instantly hooked. Then I discovered SRV and it made the love affair stronger and I had to get myself one. Got one shortly thereafter and 20 years later it's still my work horse, the one in my avatar.

GuitarGeni and JP68 like this.