What sounds better?

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Jeez 3 pages and you guys completely missed clay dots. Clay has been around forever and everyone knows the older it is the better it is.
And clay dots dont hurt the environment they came from the ground and the ground will absorb them back naturally in a hunert years or so. And clay dots have the tonz man, natural woods like maple and rosewood should have natural dots like clay. When you start puttin exotic stuff like abalone and pearloid u suck out all the tonz.
Thats why I order necks with no inlays.

Della Street

Parasite
Platinum Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2022
USA
It is a given (to anyone with half a brain) that solid maple neck Strats sound better than Strats with rosewood fingerboards. That is not open for debate, it's a scientific fact.
but pink is controversial, huh?

i submit to your authority, Mr. Ebidis, but only reluctantly.

there, i took my stand and will now sit quietly.

CigBurn

Total Hack
Jun 22, 2014
Same Shed Different Day
It is a given (to anyone with half a brain) that solid maple neck Strats sound better than Strats with rosewood fingerboards. That is not open for debate, it's a scientific fact.

The question now remains, what sounds better on a maple neck: black dots, pearloid dots, or abalone dots?

Discuss.

As a corollary then it is a given (to anyone with a whole brain) that strats with rosewood fretboards sound better than strats with only maple. Two woods are greater than one and the addition of rosewood imparts benefits that maple alone cannot provide. That is science fact, and I'm sorry for your half brain. :)

Edit: Now that I've seen the @abnormaltoy response, we'll just call that peer review.

Last edited:

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Jeez 3 pages and you guys completely missed clay dots. Clay has been around forever and everyone knows the older it is the better it is.
And clay dots dont hurt the environment they came from the ground and the ground will absorb them back naturally in a hunert years or so. And clay dots have the tonz man, natural woods like maple and rosewood should have natural dots like clay. When you start puttin exotic stuff like abalone and pearloid u suck out all the tonz.
Thats why I order necks with no inlays.
Hate to tell you this, but clay dots aren't really clay. They're a fiber material. They're just called clay dots because they look like clay.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM

The question now remains, what sounds better on a maple neck: black dots, pearloid dots, or abalone dots?

Discuss.
Clay dots