Join Strat-Talk Today

What strings for long life?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Footsore, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talker

I have EB Paradigm on all my electrics. They are slightly different. You need to try them.

2. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-Talker

Quick question, being stronger are they harder on frets and reduce fret life? Thanks.

3. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

Wow, that's surprising that they replace strings like that.
    It was probably 1999 or 98 when I stopped using Ernie Balls due to the sweat-induced rusting. They've probably improved their metal since then (or my hands quit sweating because I'm not 22 anymore)?

I will look for the Mangans

When DR went to putting 2 strings in each envelope that really annoyed me (and still does)... the idea of trying out other brands sounds good for that reason ALONE.

Gevalt likes this.
  4. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talker

Frankly, I have not noticed any fret wear. But maybe I have a lighter touch. I don't think the are "stronger" in terms of the alloy they use, but they have more and smaller wind compared to core so are more elastic. And I think they are lightly coated. These are my impressions, not verified facts, so will stand corrected if someone else can chime in.

Rudedawg likes this.
  5. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

It's funny how different people have very different experiences. For me, I've never had a set of strings die faster than DRs, which is why I've never bought a second pack of them. D'Addario's are great, and I prefer them to the regular EBs. But I didn't find NYXLs to be worth the extra money. They seemed to last a bit longer, but not enough to warrant the price. EB Paradigms, on the other hand, are my new favourites. They last forever, and they seem to be indestructible. They're the first strings I've been able to use a 9 high E without it snapping when I get a little enthusiastic with the bends during band rehearsals. I still have 10-46 and 11-48 on other guitars, but I've had a set of 9-42 EB Paradigms on my main gigging guitar for over a month now and they're still going strong.

stratmatt777 and Buzzgrowl like this.
  6. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-Talker

Thanks for that, may try a set on the most played guitars.:thumb:

7. Pedrobot

Pedrobot Strat-Talk Member

I have a sizeable collection too, and prior to retiring from playing live, I tried to gig each one of them over the year. I found that by buying unbranded strings and wiping them down after each gig, they sounded great and lasted just as long as the branded standard offerings from EB, Daddario and the likes. Particularly good were the on line string sellers. I did avoid Dunlop mind you after a couple of trial purchases, because they were tarnished and felt rough to play....no contact details for Dunlop on the packaging so you can't even drop them an email to let them know.

I have tried the expensive Long Lasting Strings when talked into buying them with too much cash in my pocket one day whilst visiting a guitar shop, but I found that the Elixir and the likes of the so called Techy stuff quickly go as dull sounding as any of the Nickle coated strings anyway.

Picato were quite good, but Rotosound always turned my fingers very green. Lasted ok though.

JB74, 3bolt79, davidKOS and 1 other person like this.
  8. WaymoreBlue

WaymoreBlue Strat-Talker

I use Ernie Ball lately just because they have a gauge that fits me perfectly 10.5-48 both on strat and Les Paul.
    My hands do not sweat and they last enough compared to the price.

Attached Files:

3bolt79 and stratmatt777 like this.
  9. Gevalt

Gevalt Strat-Talker

John Pearse last 2-3 months and sound great, but they're stiffer and harder to bend than anything other than Pyramid(Zie shlieben de bluddy fingaz ya)

Curt Mangan pure nickel round core sound deader than dead after 2 days....if that's your thing, and they absolutely suck on short scale. My Les Paul sounded like a dog jaguar and my Squier Mini sounded like drop B, the Mangan PN RC were so slinky. They sounded and felt fab on my reg. Strat but "died" in 2 days, sounding like a Pearse after 3 months.

3bolt79 and stratmatt777 like this.
  10. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

That is very interesting! Perhaps each batch of strings from different manufacturers can all vary, dependent upon the somewhat random chemical makeup of the iron ore they are made from (or more likely) from the exact mix of different metals that go into the final metal that is used...? And then we all get random impressions that we attribute to the brand name printed on the package.
    That is probably not the case since I am just brainstorming based on no evidence, but I wonder how carefully string manufacturers are able to regulate or control the exact metallurgic makeup of the metals they get from their supplier...
    I'll have to try out those paradigms!

velvet_man and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

I bounce around between EB, daddario, fender.

12. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

DR for tone. Elixir for longevity. Love the feel of Elixir Nanowebs on my bass guitars.

JB74 and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Well I just bought and restrung a strat with D'addarios XL (3 pks $11) to see how they fair based on this forum. If they don't last some of you got some explaining to do.

fezz parka and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. 2aug82b

2aug82b Strat-Talk Member

The Gabriel Tenorio String Co. has excellent strings that last and last. Top notch.

15. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-Talk Member

I keep a bunch of S.I.T. strings around (that's the brand name). I think they play great and are inexpensive. Made in Ohio.

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. oldschool

oldschool Strat-Talk Member

I've been using Elixir Nano's since they came out,both electric and acoustic. They last. Don't feel plasticky at all to my fingers.

17. freddy

freddy Strat-Talk Member

since i discovered Pyramid strings they are my favorite ones , they are very pleasant under the fingers and have less tension on the neck then different bards for the same gauge and they last for very long with minimal sound degradation.
    the best part of these strings apart of the the above is the sound , they sound just perfectly balanced (for me) not too bright and have very mellow output .

for my strat i am using the round wound pure nickel classics ( orange pack ) 9's gauge , even tuned to E flat they sound brilliant in comparison to other brands.

these strings are perfect for all the players that want the 50's and 60's vintage rock sound, they are not that suitable for modern rock and amps with lots of gain , if this is what you are after then these strings are not for you.

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. Gevalt

Gevalt Strat-Talker

I have to share my opposite experience with Pyramid strings.
    The highest tension I have ever felt, the grittiest winds, and the hardest bends. The Classics sounded better to me than the Max.Performance and Nickel Plated, but they were so tough. My fingers are calloused and I felt eaten alive.
    I tried 15 packs of strings in the past few months, and i threw all my Pyramids away after 2 days.

NYXL and Gibson are easier to play, better sounding and long lasting.

3bolt79 and JB74 like this.
  19. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talk Member

Ill toss a quick vote in for Curt Mangan strings as well! PNRC on my strat are the best I've ever had! I personally haven't had them die fast at all. Have a set on my main strat(roughly 4 hours of play a day) that's a month old and still sound great!

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Getting the 'correct' tension strings for the Ric 12 string is a PITA here in oz. I usually have to order them from the US, to get the right gauges.

Thomastiks are getting really difficult to obtain here, covid-19 is not helping either, since most music stores are closed now.

online is a gamble, getting harder to find online - everyone is price gouging.

Footsore likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.