What the heck did i just play?!!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Strat_3TSB, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Strat_3TSB

Strat_3TSB Strat-Talker

Its been about 6 years since i played guitar and recently i just decided to take it back up again. I sold all my ESP's and Mesa Rectoverb at that time and kept my one American Strat. Last week i set up my Strat and its playing really good. Based on your guys recommendation i went and picked up a Boss Katana MKII 100w today. While the employee was grabbing it i decided to play some guitars on the wall. A few Gretsch, one ESP and a couple Fenders. Two guitars stuck out to me, especially one, a 50's style Telecaster in fiesta red. Outside of the gloss finish on the fretboard, i don't think i have played a neck that felt that comfortable for rhythm style stuff. Made me think just how cramped i am on my Strat. Cupping the neck was so comfortable on this guitar, felt like a glove. After looking at the price tag i was surprised it was a MIM. Guitars have obviously gone up quite a bit since i last played. I also played a 60's style Strat that also had a fatter neck, though a little different than the tele. It also felt really good.

Anyways, whats up with this? Im completely green when it comes to Fender necks and fretboard radius. This just felt so different. The fretboard felt more rounded? I loved everything but the gloss fretboard, though i could get over it. So easy to chord change and alternate pick up the neck. Here are the tags for the two guitars. I never thought a Tele was on my radar but the neck alone on this made me not want to go home to my Strat haha.

Does anyone know if they make this neck size on a Strat or another Tele in the non gloss finish? Any info is appreciated. I bought my American Strat almost new for $625 in 2010 so the thought of paying $949 for a MIM does make me cringe a touch :).

IMG_2616.jpg IMG_2617.jpg IMG_2618.jpg

JJ119, diogoguitar, CRobbins and 2 others like this.
  2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi
    I think you were feeling the 7.25 fretboard radius and liked it being less flat?

3. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

Vinteras are vintage style guitars with vintage voiced pickups vs the MIM Player series, which is a modern take on their classic models.

The link below explains what makes a Vintera a Vintera

https://www.reidys.com/blog/fender-player-vs-vintera-what-are-the-differences/

The Tele has a 50s U neck. Read about it below

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/vintera-50s-telecaster/0149852340.html

The Strat has a 60s C neck, listed below

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/stratocaster/vintera-60s-stratocaster/0149983383.html

So you at least know what to look for as far as necks go.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Strat_3TSB

Strat_3TSB Strat-Talker

That must of been part of it, the neck also felt ALOT bigger. Filled up my hand behind the guitar and let me rest on the neck much more. I just felt like i didn't have to cramp as much holding more technical chords.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Strat_3TSB

Strat_3TSB Strat-Talker

I played the guitar unplugged so i can't say much for the pickups. It was mainly the neck size and contour of the fretboard i noticed. Thank you for the links. Time to read up!.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Paul47

Paul47 Strat-Talker

When you find a guitar with a neck that feels just right......... get it!

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

^^^ This.

Believer7713 and tatoo like this.
  8. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

9. tatoo

tatoo Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

+1.
    When you find that neck just take out the card, bite the bullet and take it home.

The_Whale and Bob the builder like this.
  10. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

If you dont like the gloss finish on a fretboard, sand it off.

11. EXTRABLUE

EXTRABLUE Strat-Talker

Dont sand it off! You can rough it up a bit with fake steel wool or extremely fine sand paper. The fake sw is more consistent than sand paper

12. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

What is fake steel wool?
    Real steel wool would run the risk of getting steel particles on the magnetic pickups. Would Scotchbrite pads work?

---------------
    Fender has made necks with all sorts of profiles. I don't like them all. You seem to have found something that you like. Sometimes people find the 7+ inch radius great for chords, but much less so if they want to bend the strings.

13. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

Green scotch brite pads work great. I have used those on multiple fender maple fingerboards. I like maple, but I hate gloss.

perttime and Strat_3TSB like this.
  14. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

The differences in the neck profiles might be just a few mm but it makes a huge difference as you noted. I see that the Vintera has a soft U, which is chunkier than the C's. The Baja Classic Player 50's are sought after and I'm convinced that has a lot to do with the fact they have a soft V. I have average sized hands at best and I was surprised to find that a chunky neck actually feels better.

If you want that neck on a strat, you should look for a Clapton, or one of the other models that have the soft V. I think you'll find the same thing. I'm sure there are ones with the U and the vintage radius as well.

15. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

hmm.. yeah the prices have gone up recently, especially for fender.
    An Am Std in 2011 was $1000, and the equivalent is $1499 and looks like the cumulative inflation rate was 16.93% in the same period.

By all means, if you are considering getting a new guitar, I wouldn't cross this one off from your list.
    But, given my recent experience going out in stores, I would either just get the US fender or go another brand.

for example, the MIM charvel is a rock solid $899 guitar. Supposedly they are done in the same factory, but I guess they spend more time making the guitar comfortable to play.

Look at this charvel below for example. I doubt you'l find this kind of fretwork on a MIM fender (even though they cost the same).

[​IMG]

StratUp, Stonetone and Wound_Up like this.
  16. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

If that's the one that got ya just buy it.
    Cry once & gtf over it.
    If ya don't you're gonna cry alot more about it.

Wound_Up and Strat_3TSB like this.
  17. Wound_Up

Well it's been a couple of days. You still want it? Go get it. That's what I usually do with larger purchases. Sometimes waiting up to a week or more.

18. Strat_3TSB

Strat_3TSB Strat-Talker

Well i went yesterday to pick it up but it was sold :(.. However the employee said they had one more in the back brand new they could pull out of the box. I obliged :). Felt identical and great! I got it home yesterday and did a routine setup only to find its way different on this guitar (vintage tuners, trust rod adjustment on the pickup side, etc). After i figured that all out i set it up, put the strings i like on her and it plays great! SO much different than my Strat. I definitely still prefer the Strat neck pickup but love the Tele bridge. Its a very simple guitar which i appreciate. It's actually lighter than my Strat too.

Quality wise its very good.. no sharp frets and the finish is spot on. Id say my American strat is still more refined in quality, but compared to a few of the other MIM tele's and strats i played this Vintera is at the top. Not the best picture but you get the idea.. Next to my 09 Blizzard Pearl.

tele.jpg

Attached Files:

w teeth, JJ119, Wound_Up and 2 others like this.
  19. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

That's an awesome fretboard... clearly a lot of handwork and/or attention to detail.

20. Wound_Up

Congrats, brother! That's a beautiful guitar! And red is usually a color I don't go for. Sounds like you got a damn good guitar. :thumb::cool:

Wow! Those are some nice rolled edges on that fretboard. Most times when people talked about rolled edges or even the vids of people rolling their own, I usually can't ever tell a difference.

You can tell on that one and it looks great! I imagine it probably feels just as good as it looks.

Strat_3TSB likes this.