What the heck is/was this??

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by axejock, Nov 21, 2020 at 1:51 AM.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Looking through the local Craigslist tonight and found an ad that merely said one Acoustic and one electric guitar for sale for parts. The acoustic was a 12 string with the tuning head broken off, and the electric was something out of the Frankencaster class, but both for $45. After looking closer at the electric, I have no idea what it is (or was), but what a "class axe"! It has a Squire Tele neck, some type of "S shaped" body, a hardtail string mount (not through body), an odd shaped Telecaster control plate with one pot and a selector switch that is mounted at a slant in control plate, and a pickguard that is REALLY weird...I have no idea where that came from. Here's the photos...can anyone identify what this thing might have started out as and what it is supposed to be now?
    Oops, lost pictures. Working on it!

00T0T_1FYFVFV5MPI_0t20CI_600x450.jpg 00d0d_hBu2GPKmH21_0t20CI_600x450.jpg 01515_ckM1XMesUcQ_0t20CI_600x450.jpg 00505_aQ3rSdzo67A_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 1:58 AM
  2. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-O-Master

It's a squier '51. Control plate is definitely not original. Otherwise, cool guitar. I used to own one.

Groovey, axejock and FrieAsABird like this.
  3. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Interesting.
    It's reminiscent of the "Telecaster Bass" or original P-Bass design.

1968-fender-telecaster-bass-cream-1-lbYljbw.jpg

Groovey, axejock and jbylake like this.
  4. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

If it’s really 45 bucks for that and another guitar, get it! Squier 51 is a really interesting model, great platform for mods- I would get it in a heartbeat for double the price!

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Strange things, those Squier 51s.

Squier 51.jpg

Groovey, axejock, Nate D and 4 others like this.
  6. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

Presumably that was the inspiration given that it was released in '51.

axejock and CB91710 like this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

A Squier '51 in mint condition is worth about 250-300 used these days @axejock - discontinued and rising in value....

8. Ted J

Ted J Strat-Talker

They were originally being sold in the UK for between £99-£109 and came in sunburst , black and vintage blond
    There was a reissue a few years ago under the pawnshop series selling for $999 and there is a 51 modders forum where some of the 51's are very heavily modded

The necks are basically a Telecaster neck and are usually very good quality, played one once,very nice and light and bright sounding

From memory the volume is a coil split and the second knob, is a 3 position knob

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    axejock likes this.
  9. axejock

When were these built and sold new? I've never seen anything like it before....and if the control plate is non-original, where would I look for an original? I honestly thought this was someone's "bad dream" (lol).

Bowmap likes this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

They were originally made around 2003 I think, they've revived them since. They were quite a cult "must have" guitar on a few forums. @Guitarmageddon probably knows all their serial numbers :p

11. Guitarmageddon

The original controls were a push/pull master volume, no tone, and what looked like the tone knob was actually a 3-way rotary pickup selector switch....

They were made in 2 runs.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier_'51

Vintage Modified with string through body - higher end guitar - from 2013-2016

and a first edition with toploading bridge from 2003-2006.....

They've been around and highly touted for 17 years, nice chunky necks.....

no clue where you'd find an original control plate....

s5tuart, axejock and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  12. axejock

You guys got my interest up, so I went and bought both the 12 string acoustic and the Squier 51 this morning for the sum total of $40!! Both are in fairly nice shape and certainly "restorable" with a little cleaning and a few parts replacement. The 12 string actually has the headstock glued back in place and looks and feels nice. It can wait though while I tear into the Squier. The neck on the thing may be newer as it is in perfect shape. Obviously the control plate will need replacement and I don't see any string holes in the bridge that is currently on it (there must be some that I haven't found?) The pickups appear original, and the white pickguard is very thick and in nice shape. The body is very thin and lightweight. I wonder if I will be able to get a manufacture date for it. More photos to come.

00Z0Z_7TTQQ4yWqUT_0t20CI_600x450.jpg 00505_aQ3rSdzo67A_0t20CI_600x450.jpg 00505_aQ3rSdzo67A_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

FrieAsABird and CB91710 like this.
  13. Guitarmageddon

The string holes for toploading bridge are on the back side, where it's bent upward....look at this black one...below each intonation adjustment screw....feed the string through each hole then you have to flip the saddle on its side usually to pass the string through....it's finicky to change strings but easy once you know how....

[​IMG]

axejock likes this.
  14. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

Great deal! What brand is the 12 string?

axejock likes this.
  15. axejock

I can't find a brand name on it. The only ID on it is in the center sound hole tag and it says "Made in China". It is actually very nicely made and finished with a fully bound neck and headstock and primary woods look like mahogany with a maple top? It is missing the bridge and string pegs but I suspect it will clean up nicely...but I really need to examine the headstock "reglue" to make sure it is stable.

16. axejock

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Dude, that's a sweet score for $40.
    I've owned two 51's that I modded, one I moved on but the other is still up at Ma Lumbergh's so I have something to pick on when I'm there.

axejock and Groovey like this.
  18. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Fun stuff, these rarities.

axejock likes this.
  19. axejock

I got busy today, so didn't get into this new stuff very much. BUT, I did examine the headstock on the Squier 51 and found the following:
    The front has the Squier logo and smaller letters that say "by Fender". There are also two string trees on the headstock (seems weird on a Tele).
    On the back of the headstock, it says: "Designed & Backed by Fender"; "Crafted in Indonesia", and a serial # "1C041121152". I have no idea if it is the original neck or a replacement, but it is in nearly perfect shape.

20. Guitarmageddon

I thought I made it clear before - but it's all original, that's exactly how a Squier 51 neck and body look.....it's a 2004 model.....it's IC for 'Indonesia Cort' then 04...almost all Squier guitars have 2 string trees....more than 50-60% for sure....

it's a 2 piece maple neck with no skunk stripe, right?

Is this your first Squier? If so, you'll become a fanboy.... :)

Thrup'ny Bit, axejock and CB91710 like this.