What Tone Qualities Do You Listen For…

Stratstrangler

Strat-Talker
Mar 27, 2017
Upstate NY
…when you pick up a Strat (either your own or someone else's)? I own two stock Strats; one being a 2001 Amer. Series and the newer one , a 2012 stock Amer. Standard with the Fender ”Fat 50's” pickups. Despite pickup differences, weight, and rosewood as opposed to maple boards, they each exhibit that “fat” Strat tone. The bottom strings chewy, meaty tone offset by the top strings chime. IMHO, it is almost like having two different guitars in one; and this applies when using any of the 5 pickup switch combinations. One of my favorite exponents of my description was Hendrix's playing on a relatively clean amp without much in the way of pedals.

What tone qualities do you seek out when testing out or dialing in a Strat; before adding modulation, OD or distortion to its inherent tone?

Stratstrangler

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
Much like what taste qualities do I look for when eating... If it tastes good, Yum...

Some things cannot be quantified... like Tone or more precisely the Voice of the guitar...
This is a great analogy! I don't try to assign "words to sound". I'm not good at that. I play something and it either sounds good or it doesn't.

ETucc

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 10, 2022
NJ
Unplugged, I want to hear a decent amount of sustain and enough volume to allow me to hear what I'm playing. Plugged in I want to hear a strong full ballance all across the neck.
I play my Strat unplugged very often, I love how much it chimes acoustically.

Sartrewasright

New Member!
Mar 6, 2014
Carpinteria, CA
…when you pick up a Strat (either your own or someone else's)? I own two stock Strats; one being a 2001 Amer. Series and the newer one , a 2012 stock Amer. Standard with the Fender ”Fat 50's” pickups. Despite pickup differences, weight, and rosewood as opposed to maple boards, they each exhibit that “fat” Strat tone. The bottom strings chewy, meaty tone offset by the top strings chime. IMHO, it is almost like having two different guitars in one; and this applies when using any of the 5 pickup switch combinations. One of my favorite exponents of my description was Hendrix's playing on a relatively clean amp without much in the way of pedals.

What tone qualities do you seek out when testing out or dialing in a Strat; before adding modulation, OD or distortion to its inherent tone?

Stratstrangler
It takes time to develop a sophisticated ear....most tones sound fine but others will have slightly more appeal. I like slightly diminished treble (7-8), full bass at lower volumes (10) Full middle (10) on a Fender Blackface amp (I have a 1967 DR and a 1967 SR). When loud and dirty, I lower the bass, and blast the high end.