Join Strat-Talk Today

What type of wood in this MIM strat body?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jonathanbarton9, Feb 14, 2020 at 11:19 AM.

1. jonathanbarton9

jonathanbarton9 New Member!

2. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Looks like alder to me.

3. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

$159?! Don't buy that.
    I just went and grabbed my black 1997 MIM strat body which is made of 7 to 12 pieces of poplar, slimed over with ten tons of guitar bondo to make it shiny...
    the neck is already off so I brought it to the computer to compare with the neck pocket on the reverb guitar.... I see no difference, myself. Also, there are variations among different pieces of wood from the same species... therefore, I am highly skeptical that any mortal human could tell the difference between alder and poplar from only looking at the neck pocket (no offense intended!!!!).

The real issue here is the guitar bondo that is slimed all over the thing.
    The second issue is that you'd be paying $159 for a used body from a guitar that cost $350 in 2000.
    I think there is a very good possibility that this MIM body is poplar, but regardless of whether it is poplar or alder, the issue is the hard plastic shell of guitar bondo all over the thing.
    Skip it.

I'd go for a body with a see-thru finish or, if you want black, find out when Ensenada quit using the guitar bondo.... it's probably when they switched from poplar to alder?

If I knew where to host photos I'd shoot and upload pictures of my 97 MIM body and a USA Custom Guitars Alder body I have (which also doesn't have a neck on it so you can see the neck pocket).

Regardless of what this body is, it's a rip off.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 12:33 PM
    3bolt79 and Yves like this.
  4. stratmatt777

In addition, all the metal parts on my 1997 MIM strat corroded in my bedroom in Seattle and got little green spots on it. So, the trem is not worth anything anyway. You can buy a Callaham trem, or if you want to eliminate tuning issues forever, step up to a Super-Vee Bladerunner.
    For perspective on the pricing of MIM parts, I bought a new MIM trem bridgeplate with a high mass block off reverb with no saddles for $15.

And those MIM saddles are garbage pot metal that need to be replaced with Graphtech graphite saddles.

Poplar is a very very soft wood too, much like basswood.

I see no value here because it looks like it has the MIM guitar bondo all over it.
    WAY over priced.

USA Custom Guitars website (which no longer exists) said "Poplar is the "it tastes like chicken" wood." I guess that means it is kind of average and blah, but is said to be similar to Alder.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 11:52 AM
  5. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Modern Day Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

It looks like alder and the body looks pretty descent to me.
    How are those stamped steel saddles made from pot metal. Pot metal has to be cast and those definitely are not cast. The only thing that is cast on the entire bridge is the zinc block, no biggie there anyway. Most may complain about them but they do the job just fine. Swapping with a high mass block is easy enough but fo anyone that thinks that the smaller zinc block is inferior in tone and sustain is sadly mistaken and I have the videos to prove it. Here is one that shows it at the 2:15-2:30 mark. That guitar also has a Tele neck on a Strat Body shich is an internet (only) NO-NO.

Plus I would like to know how you can see all of that guitar bondo through the paint? Is your name Kal-el?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 12:09 PM
  6. Believer7713

7. stratmatt777

The purpose of my comment was to tell him that if this MIM body is slimed with guitar bondo like my 1997 MIM, then he doesn't want it.
    If he can determine the date when Ensenada stopped making their strat bodies out of 7 pieces of poplar slimed over with guitar bondo, then he can safely go forward. Except that paying $159 for a 20 year old mexican body off a $350 guitar makes you a sucker.

My comment wasn't submitted for purposes of debate, it was made to make sure the person asking the question doesn't get ripped off and end up with a body like my 1997 MIM body.

I have a Super-Vee trem on my strat so the debate about the high-mass trem blocks is of no interest to me. :)
    Have a great day!

8. Believer7713

OK. I must apologize if I read it in the wrong context. That is the one thing about written word. It depends on how the reader perceives it. If my perception was wrong I apologize.

9. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-Talker

Morning wood.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. stratmatt777

Don't sweat it! It's all good.
    And you are absolutely right! Words make up only 7% of communication. The other 93% of communication is vocal tone and inflection, eye contact, facial expressions and body language. We are at a big disadvantage in communicating solely in text.

My "pot metal" comment is likely not accurate, and should have been a statement about the poor quality of the chrome coating, which is what actually corroded on mine.

3bolt79 and Believer7713 like this.
  11. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-O-Master

I have a 2000 MIM Standard. I'd say it's either poplar or alder. Definitely wood.

3bolt79 and Willmunny like this.
  12. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

it looks like a good body to make a guitar with to me.

i can never be convinced anyone can tell what it will or will not sound like because of the wood, it works as a strat body or not, and that one will....

i agree it is overpriced and you should fish another spot.

13. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Mine is the same way....made with what looks like pieces they picked up off the shop floor...about 10 pieces!

14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Most likely poplar due to being a 2000 model, since Fender was still making poplar guitars through 2002.

Poplar can look a lot like alder if it doesn’t have green streaks in it.

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with poplar, it’s just not a traditional Fender guitar body wood...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 2:14 PM
    3bolt79 and stratmatt777 like this.
  15. jonathanbarton9

jonathanbarton9 New Member!

Thank you!!

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. CRobbins

CRobbins Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

From the Fender website.

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...Alder-Ash-Poplar-Basswood-Mahogany-and-Maple-

What are the tonal differences on solid body guitars, between Alder, Ash, Poplar, Basswood, Mahogany and Maple?
    1. Alder: full and rich, with fat low-end, nice cutting mids, and good overall warmth and sustain. Alder is generally considered to be one of the "traditional" Stratocaster body woods.
    2. Ash: exhibits a "snappier" tone with a bright edge, but with a warm bass and long sustain. It is often considered as the other "traditional" Stratocaster body wood.
    3. Poplar: one of the softer hardwoods, nicely resonant with a meaty tone. Many guitar manufacturers as a substitute for alder are using this wood, as it is quite similar in tone.
    4. Basswood: the principal wood used on many Japanese made instruments. This is due both to its tonal response, (once again, very similar to Alder) as well as the fact that Basswood is much more readily available to the manufacturers in Asia.
    5. Mahogany: deep warm mids, good sustain and nice "bite"
    6. Maple: punchy, bright, and has a nice bite on the high end. Often used only as a laminated top instead of an entire body, as it tends to be a particularly heavy wood.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-O-Master

Basswood jenka:410
    Poplar:540
    Alder: 590

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

In 2000 the Mexican Fenders were made of Poplar.It is a fine tonewood for Fender guitars.

Andrew Wasson, 3bolt79 and CRobbins like this.
  19. bsman

bsman Strat-Talker

At the risk of opening up Pandora's box, the species of wood (and frankly number of pieces) used to build a solid-body electric guitar are way down the list of things that significantly effect/affect tone...

20. stratmatt777

I am having no success at finding the article on the Seymour Duncan website where Seymour says that guitars that are coated with thick layers of plastic sound bad. But it is on there somewhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.