What type of wood in this MIM strat body?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jonathanbarton9, Feb 14, 2020.

1. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

That's hilarious because, to make sure I was not wrong before I posted, I very quickly glanced at a list I made 4 days ago where I wrote down the Janka Numbers of all guitar woods... and I didn't notice Alder, which is on my list, immediately under Poplar as "Red Alder".

My experience is that the poplar my '97 MIM was made of is a lot softer than the Alder body I replaced it with. I had to redo a couple pickguard mounting screw holes and a guitar strap hole on my strat because the Poplar was such a soft wood.
    But the plastic bondo stuff is the problem, not the poplar.

CRobbins likes this.
  2. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Bondo is extremely common on opaque-colored guitar bodies.
    The bodies with good grain patterns and no "mistakes" on the CNC get painted the transparent colors. The rest get a treatment of Bondo to smooth them out, and they get painted... whether poly or nitro depending on the model.
    They are still using Bondo in both Mexico and Corona when needed.

3. stratmatt777

Wow! I am already not impressed with Fender corp for witholding basic features like 22nd frets and contoured heels and using vintage stagger pickups on $1,300 strats without vintage fretboard radiuses... I will add this to the list.
    If I didn't build my own strats I would buy G&Ls instead of Fender.
    Thanks for the info. I had no idea!

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I only know my Squier is agathis cuz I refinished it. My guitars gotta be black. The rest of em...don't know or care. I like em

3bolt79 and Believer7713 like this.
  5. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah.. and so's my 1997 AM Standard.. quality pieces though.. :whistling:

6. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-O-Master

Basswood jenka:410
    Poplar:540
    Alder: 590
    Yea, the thing with poplar is it varies quite a bit .what is it that you find objectionable about grain fill/sealer.

7. stratmatt777

My '97 MIM Strat always had a sterile trebly sound that I just couldn't fix, so when I read on Seymour Duncan's website that guitars with thick layers of finish or clearcoat have a thinner sound I figured that must be the issue. I don't remember precisely what the statement said, but I took it as confirmation that it was the problem with my guitar. Unfortunately, the comment seems to have been removed from the FAQ at seymour duncan because I cannot find it.

I need to solder up the pickups and controls of my strat before I can assemble it with the new body and find out what it sounds like now. So I cannot say that I have evidence for my belief of the thick finish making it sound sterile and thin... that assumption is fully based on Seymour Duncan's statement.

I thought/assumed that this guitar bondo was only used in Mexico in the past, but now, thanks to a comment here, understand that it is done on the American strats, and likely always has been (without any ill effects) on all solid color strats to get that perfect glossy finish.

I don't have experience with enough different (or identical) guitars to be able to have formed my own evidence based opinion on this issue... or on tonewood, but I suspect that all that really matters is wood density.

I do realize that any effect that finish hardness may (or may not) have on the resonance of the body of a guitar with a floating trem is probably of very little significance, with the trem block probably being the thing that makes the difference (I noticed a slight difference when I changed mine to a heavy Callaham Cold-rolled steel block, prior to upgrading to the Super-Vee Bladerunner I have now).

I tighten my trem all the way down to the body- that is how I have always liked it for tuning stability (and for the theoretical idea of increased vibration transfer).

With that said, I do understand that pickups aren't microphones and that the strings are only inducing electricity within the field of the pickup's magnet.
    And I have enough respect for the science of physics to not be a 100% convinced tonewood guy, but I suspect that some woods, like mahogany can have a subtractive effect on higher frequencies, resulting in a warmer sound.
    But this is all just theoretical speculation on my part and I have surely have been influenced by guitar manufacturer's tonewood marketing stuff.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Jimgchord likes this.
  8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it. Strat-Talk Supporter

I think they were gluing together Jenga blocks and Scrabble tiles and painting them black for a while.

9. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

when will people realise once your guitars plugged in the body finish makes sod all difference to the sound its all just internet mumbo jumbo . It was removed from the duncan site because its complete bs really. Wood makes a little difference what its finished in not so much.

10. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    "And you are absolutely right! Words make up only 7% of communication. The other 93% of communication is vocal tone and inflection, eye contact, facial expressions and body language. We are at a big disadvantage in communicating solely in text."

54.2% of statistics are made up on the spot.

11. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

If truly a 2000, then it should be alder.

Don't waste your time with the tone wood crap these things turn into, it's an electric geetar.

Not to mention the fact that that wasn't your question anyway.

hexnut likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

"What are the tonal differences?"

They are less than the variation in pots and caps that you can use to push the tone around. Or swap pickups to push the tone around.

Get the wood for the look and weight you want. Doesn't matter if one, two , or twenty pieces of wood and glue either.

A standard bag of volume pots will each vary from each other in a 20% tolerance range.... "fix it in post" as the movie folks say.

13. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-O-Master

60% of the time, it works every time.

14. stratmatt777

Perhaps, but there is a 100% chance that my statistic was not made up on the spot! :)

15. stratmatt777

1. He was asking for opinions about whether or not he should "get taken to the cleaners" by paying $169 for a 20 year old used body from a $350 guitar.
    I gave him an opinion.
    2. I said that I think the thick plastic coating on my 97 MIM strat is why the tone is sterile and bright (due to a FAQ post that Seymour Duncan has since removed from his website).
    3. I answered that his pic looks the same as the Poplar on my guitar, and that it is soft enough that I had a couple screws strip out. I said that it didn't matter if it is poplar or alder.
    4. Sorry I ruined your Reverb sale. ;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  16. stratmatt777

"when will people realise once your guitars plugged in the body finish makes sod all difference to the sound its all just internet mumbo jumbo . It was removed from the duncan site because its complete bs really. Wood makes a little difference what its finished in not so much."

I am definitely not a "Nitro sounds better than poly" person because, according to physics, that is completely nonsensical, unscientific and clearly based on "vintage myth" and "feelings".

The plastic bondo I am talking about stands between the trem mounting plate and the wood, which means that any vibration transferred from the trem to the wood goes through it.

Perhaps it has no effect because it is screwed together so tightly that the bondo has nearly the same density and harmonic properties (vibration transference) as the metal trem?
    I think that none of this makes any difference at all with a floating trem because the mass of the trem block dictates everything. My trem is tightened down to the body though.

What I know for sure is that I don't know.
    That doesn't mean that I am ignorant or belief-based. It means that I am unsure, curious, unbiased and open to new, evidence-based information.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. stratmatt777

18. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Well here we go.

1. I don't know how you would feel injured by my post, to go into such elaborations, being YOU haven't taken that stance, and skimming through posts, I don't read were you did....... FWIW.

2. My post, was just thrown in there, and the mention of TONE WOOD, as a free statement, and no context of it directed at YOU anyway.

3. I do/have sold on Reverb, but sorry to disappoint, my name is not Andrew.

4. My comment wasn't submitted for purposes of debate (sorry , I just learned how to cut and paste and need the practice ;))

One does have to admit though, it is interesting how these threads end up with a lot of bla,bla,bla, and go off the rails from a simple question.

What type of wood in this MIM strat body?

19. stratmatt777

Gotcha!
    The suggestion that it was your Reverb sale was obviously sarcasm, as indicated by the ;)
    Today I have realized how much more enjoyment I get out of playing guitar than wasting away the day on the internet.
    Have a good weekend.

20. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

No i agree with that things like the bridge and wood a guitar is made out of just the finish not so much.