Join Strat-Talk Today

What Vintage/Slotted Tuners To Replace OE Tuners On Y2K American Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TepidPilot, Aug 12, 2019.

1. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-Talker

I'm interested in the Kluson "Revolution" series but they are offered in "F" "G" and "H" versions and I'm unsure of which of those to use for the least amount of installation grief.

The OE machines are held on by a threaded bushing, so I'm expecting to have to do a little drilling which won't be a problem for me, but I'd like to be aware of proper spacing and any additional parts, such as bushings, that might be required.

Thank you.

TP

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

The obvious vintage Strat set would be "H", but the bushings would be the wrong size. The "F" set should drop in bushes and , but you may not like the 70s style back.

[​IMG]

3. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

There is a new option for vintage-style slot-post tuners that are direct replacements for modern tuners on Fenders: the Fender ClassicGear tuners. Fender debuted these last December on the American Performer series - they look like Klusons but mount like the modern Fender tuners (threaded bushing plus 2 "guide pins" on the back side of the tuner). Plus they are modern 18:1 ratio. So you get the vintage style in a direct replacement tuner. I've got an American Performer Mustang with them; they work really well.

[​IMG]

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts...s/classicgear-tuning-machines/0990802100.html

TepidPilot, CigBurn and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  4. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-Talker

Exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you, John C

TP

5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

You're welcome; these should be available everywhere - I've seen them on Sweetwater's site, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center (online - but not in my local store), etc.

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.