what was your first guitar

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by hendrixfan, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ZL1LoVeR

ZL1LoVeR Strat-O-Master

This fella... still have it (not that I have any other electrics :D), always will :p

Attached Files:

2. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Strat-Talker

Finally found a picture in my parents' photo albums, right about the same time I ran across one on the net. It's a 3-pickup Maxitone:
    [​IMG]
    And here I am playing it in about 1971.
    [​IMG]
    I had the matching bass too...

3. Strat-O-Lady

Strat-O-Lady Former Member

This is the coolest thread ever! I'm having a blast reading about everyone's 'first guitar' stories :) My story isn't that exciting but before I got my own electric guitar, I used to pluck around on my Dad's '65 or '66 (I don't know which year for sure) Fender Mustang (I can't believe he let me play with it!!). But then when I was 14, I took my summer job money and bought myself a Metallic purple/blue Jackson Dinky JS20. It wasn't a bad guitar and I learned on it but I never 'fell in love' with it (in fact, I pawned it for 40 dollars a couple of months ago 'cause I needed the cash for food...haha...that's how little I really cared for it).

Back to the story - Then, two years later (around my 16th birthday) I got my MIM Fender Strat. I had just come home from some school function and my Dad told me to go turn off the amplifier for him (I thought this was a rather strange request seeing as it would have taken him a second to flip the power switch). Anyway, I went to go turn it off and there I saw the most beautiful thing - a brand new '95 sunburst MIM Stratocaster resting against the amp. I couldn't believe my eyes. I took it into my hands and just held it in awe. Then I plugged it in and it just sang (it sounded 500% better than my Jackson). I had been scoping out Squiers at the time at the shop where I took lessons. I would have been happy with a Squier. But my parents used their hard earned money to buy me a REAL Fender Stratocaster. It was amazing and to this day is one of the most awesome gifts I ever received. It is still my main guitar, too. I will NEVER EVER get rid of that Strat as it just has too much sentimental value to me (and it is really one helluva guitar!).

4. dman

dman Strat-O-Master

First guitar- Guild all-mahogany classical guitar
    First electric guitar- Guild Starfire III thin-line hollowbody single florentine cutaway with two DeArmond single coils and a Bigsby...Lordy, I wish I still had that one!!
    First stringed instrument- plywood ukelele replete with painted-on palm trees and a plastic finger board with molded-in frets!!!!

5. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

My first was a Silvertone acoustic, which is actually a Sears brand. My dad handed it down to me when I was young, probably because it was a piece of crap.

My first decent guitar was a Sigma dreadnought that I bought new in 1981 for about $200. It sounds pretty good and plays well for what is essentially a Japanese plywood copy of a Martin. I now own genuine high-end Martins, but I still have that old Sigma. I don't play it much, but it's worth having around as a camping guitar or something that I can hand to my son or one of my nephews.

6. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Strat-Talk Member

Me too. With an action about an inch high and frets liked barbed wire – I can still feel the blisters almost.

7. Strawfoot

Strawfoot Strat-Talker

My first guitar was a "Slammer" By Hamer black and pearloid strat copy. Very scratchy but got the job done for years, Still have the (Damaged) body and the electronics, but gave away the neck to a friend who was doing a build.

8. TwoMartinMan

TwoMartinMan Strat-O-Master

A Harmony acoustic 12 string that I bought with my second paycheck from my first real job in the summer of 1969. It was stolen from my apartment in New York City in 1978. It was impossible to keep in tune.

9. shakey64

shakey64 Strat-Talker

My first electric I bought was with some money detassling corn in Iowa about 1979. I was into Ace Frehley at time. Also, my friends older brother had a Black Electra Les Paul...so I veered in that direction.
    I proudly purchased a HOHNER Les Paul copy. Along, with a Peavey Backstage amp.
    I knew my way around the guitar some...prior to that borrowed my Uncles Fender 60's Blue Duo Sonic. MOM said give it back to him and buy my own.
    I Still have the guitar today. While I spent about 6 years overseas in Army...it sat in that damp Iowa basement in case. About 5 years ago...I cleaned her up...New tuners..replaced the rusted screws,etc.
    Finally found out it was a Law-suit era Les Paul. Heavy as a tank. LOTS of sustain. Great, great smooth neck. Got some battle scars and knicks.
    Last year I bought some GFS pups. Installed two different types in neck and bridge...and HATED the sound. Just didnt sound right...sounded more "brittle" I would say. Lost the warmth. Also..replaced the pots and wiring and jack. Glad I kept it. I always thought of ebay....glad I didnt. 30 years old now.

Attached Files:

10. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member

My first guitar was a late 70's or early 80's Hofner-Anno classical. It looks old, sounds great, but plays terrible. It is in dire need of a neck reset, and while the reset would probably cost more than the guitar is worth, I will have it done one day. It has no serial number so I have no idea when it was made. It belonged to my ex-girlfriend's mom. I gave her $50 for it and a crappy case it came with.

[​IMG]

My first electric guitar was an Epiphone LP. I guess if we're talking "real" guitars, my first and only "real" guitar is a Larrivee. I spent a pretty penny on it and it is a finely crafted instrument.

11. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

I have no pics, twas a long time ago. But my first guitar was a Carlos classical nylon string. I beat it up for 2 years learning Metallica and Yngwie stuff. Then I got my first 2 electrics. An Applesauce er...Applause Les Paul custom copy that would not stay in tune ever, specifically the G string, till one day I tossed it out my 3 story window in frustration. My mom was upset about the destroyed window screen, Lol. Luckily it didn't hit anybody. I was 12 and non too bright apparently. My 2nd electric was a GTX jackson/charvel copy that was black with a floyd rose type bridge and white lines of paint splattered all over it. I got it because it had Ibanez/Jackson style shark fin fret inlays.

Eventually I owned tons of Jackson V's, LP's and Epiphone LP's, some strat copies, and basically just played whatever. I always sound the same regardless of the guitar (usually.) One day I realized I'd been teaching for years using one of the Used Seafoam Green Squiers that were in the store and that I'd slowly but surely been won over to Squier and Strats.

To date I own 3 Squier Strats which are awesome, and I'd like to get 2-3 more when money permits such luxuries.

12. reggiesgone

reggiesgone Strat-Talk Member

some short scale classical type thing i bought at the auction for like 40 bucks. but hea, i learned.

13. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member

S. Rock - where about's in MN? That's where I'm from......

14. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member

Oh, and my first guitar was a "Tender". It was a child's electric[I was five]that was fully functional with a humbucker and voume/tone. It was in the shape of a B.C. Rich......weird little guitar, and I still have it!!!

15. hunterlovell

hunterlovell Strat-Talker

washburn lyon sort of les paul copy....got it free from my cousin with the strings an inch high of the ground and a 5 watt amp:)

16. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

Fun thread for sure !

My first guitar was the original flying v, sort of, w/butter bean tuners, wood nut, "zero fret saddle" and who know what kind of frets. Bronze ? Brass ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

[​IMG]

It was my grandmother's. A kit guitar she ordered out of a catalog after the Carter Family started recording. She wore it out.

I was told it's a Martin kit guitar, but I've yet to verify that.

Inspired one of the first lyrics I ever wrote

Grandma Told Me

(intro)

the older I get, the more it seems
    spending more time, chasin' memories
    stories I’d hear, all the time I was raised
    bout hard times passed, and better days

Chorus

Grandma told me
    Rain was the angels cryin
    She always said that thunder was the sound
    Of the devil beatin his wife
    Grandma told me
    Bout the flood in ‘37
    And all a little boy really needed to know
    She spoke a lot about heaven

(verse)

I got an old guitar
    she built in when she was young
    a kit she found in a catalog
    she forgot which one
    but that’s ok you see
    she recalled a lot of things
    oh how I loved to listen to her
    share her memories

(repeat chorus)

(v2)

I got an old radio
    she tuned to the old opry
    she loved when they sang those old time songs
    by the Carter Family
    I remember her sweet smile
    like it was yesterday
    she’d always look forward to Friday nights
    when mama dropped me off to stay

(Repeat chorus)

I got an old ring
    no one wears no more
    passed down through the family
    since round the civil war
    when mama gave it to me
    just before she passed away
    said son there's gonna come a time
    you’re gonna have to do the same

(repeat chorus)

The older I get
    The more it seems
    I’m spending more time
    Chasin memories

© 2004 Hugh Walter Jennings
    All Rights Reserved

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  18. Relayer

Relayer Strat-Talk Member

My first guitar was an Aria Pro II double cut away that I never even played... I tried just didn't know how... I sold it and got a new snare for my drum set...

19. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

I actually have a photo of th Bradlees Dept Store Strat copy. with me playing it. I'll find it and post it. Wait till you see this...................1968.

20. bloodmoon

bloodmoon Strat-Talk Member

First REAL guitar? '78 B.C. Rich Eagle Deluxe handmade. Bought it from Mac's Musical Madness around Lenoir N.C. 1984 for $1800 with case. Sweet guitar, I'll never pay that much for another guitar though, import quality is getting pretty good.