Join Strat-Talk Today

What Weight Range Do You Consider "Light" For a Fender Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ozshadow, Sep 11, 2019.

1. ozshadow

ozshadow Strat-Talk Member

Buying my first Strat, I wanted to avoid the mistake I made with my Tele that is about 9lbs, so I found one that weighs in at 7lb 6oz.

This lead me to my question as to what you consider light for a Fender production Strat. I'm guessing 7 to 7lb 8oz is about the lightest range possible for a production Fender. I know customs or partscasters can get quite a bit lighter.

Attached Files:

Miotch likes this.
  2. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Hello ozshadow and welcome from Ireland. You crept under my radar for a while. As for your question, I have no idea but I do know several members of the family who will get back to you as soon as possible. :D

Nate D likes this.
  3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

My Eric Johnson Thinline is 6lbs 13oz but of course it's semi hollow body. My other EJ solid body was 7lbs 6oz.

Nate D likes this.
  4. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Strat-O-Master

7&1/2lbs and under. Saying that, I don’t believe I’ve ever weighed a guitar

Miotch and davidKOS like this.
  5. davidKOS

davidKOS playing, teaching, recording Strat-Talk Supporter

I've weighed plenty of them since I began having neck and shoulder issues from playing heavy guitars and basses since 1972.

Before weight relieved Les Pauls, I could never play an LP due to weight - I even had a great low Z model that would have been my ideal guitar for jazz if it had not weighed as much as a boat anchor. i couldn't even use it sitting because it even hurt my supporting leg on a 3 hour gig.

Most of my guitars weigh between 6.5 and 7.5 pounds USA. Forgive me for not having the metric equivalents.

I even had some additional routing done on some P and J basses to make them lighter. Oddly, as the bodies became more hollow, the basses sounded better pugged in too.

6. BW89Poplar

BW89Poplar Strat-Talk Member

7lbs 6oz sounds lightweight to me.

I had an '89 Fender USA Strat made of Poplar, it was 7.45 lbs and I always liked how lightweight it felt.
    And I have a '19 Fender AmPro Strat made of Ash, it's heavy at 8.8 lbs.

as an aside
    I have a Fender Deluxe Nashville Tele (Alder) at 8.5 lbs.
    And a Gibson Les Paul at 8.5 lbs , it has "modern weight reliaf"

davidKOS likes this.
  7. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

My cutoff point for a Strat or Tele is 8LBS.I'd consider 7.5 or less lightweight but up til 8LBS is fine.My lightest Strat is 6.8LBS.For a Les Paul my cutoff point is 9LBS.

Nate D likes this.
  8. Silverman

Silverman Strat-Talker

Yeah, I won't buy a guitar that isn't under 8. When I knew less, I bought an LP faded studio that was absurdly heavy and made my leg go numb. When I knew more, I exchanged it for Strat that was quite light, and felt much better.

davidKOS likes this.
  9. davidKOS

davidKOS playing, teaching, recording Strat-Talk Supporter

At least I'm not alone!

10. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I never even thought about a Strat as being heavy until I got an SG. Since then I've added a 339 which feels about the same as the SG, a Les Paul and a Tele. I'd say the LP is the heavyweight champ but the Tele is close. I have no idea what any of them actually weigh though . Once they're strapped on that doesn't register

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    CB91710 and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

Unfortunately for me it does, as I've broken both shoulders and after a while the weight of my strat (8 lb 3 oz) annoys them. And that's with a 4" strap. I don't know how people cope with those really thin straps! :eek:

12. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I use 3 inch straps, they seem to do the trick except for my Strat. I have a 2inch Fender strap on that one.. I've been doing commercial masonry for about 30 years so I'm used to heavy stuff I guess. But I am pushing 60 so that may change some day

13. Green Sub

Green Sub Strat-Talker

FWIW, Sweetwater.com shows the weight of most of their guitars as well as a high res photo shoot.

So far their multi point inspection has been very good on the two Player Series that I’ve purchased.

hardwired likes this.
  14. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Hardtails ( as long as they aren't the late 70s bricks) are lighter.

My '71 LP Custom weighs 11 lbs. That's a brick...but it doesn't bother me. :)

Miotch likes this.
  15. Estibi

Estibi Strat-Talk Member

I had a sorta-purple strat that I loved, a '91 but it was heavy as heck, it was probably pushing 9lbs or more and that's with that '90s swimming pool route. Whatever wood it was made from, it was dense stuff. Anyway that guitar is still my avatar but I hurt my shoulder and that thing just couldn't hang on a strap over it anymore. I had to move on and I got a nice 7.5 pound strat that feels great on my weak little shoulder these days. so I agree with others above, a 7.5lb strat is a light one.

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

My heaviest Strat is 7lbs 6oz, my Tele is 8lbs 0 oz. My bass is a leg numbing 9bs 6 oz.

17. rjhalsey

rjhalsey Strat-Talker

Any one under 7 pounds!

Miotch likes this.
  18. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I like around 7.5lbs on a Strat but up to 8lbs would be acceptable on an otherwise fine model.

Les Paul's are a different kettle of fish.

My Standard is 9.4lb which is around average although my Junior is 7.4lbs . Lovely and light.

19. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

My "classic 60's" is just under 8lbs, seems fine, on the other hand I have a walnut hard tail (body from Warmoth) checks in at 3.88kg or just over 8.5 lbs. That one is right next to my two Epiphone LP at the same weight.

20. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I like mine right at 7 lbs . A few ounces over won't kill me but my partscaster Tele is under 7 and a joy it is to play ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.