Join Strat-Talk Today

What Weight Range Do You Consider "Light" For a Fender Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ozshadow, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Come on guys, a pound here or there won't make any real difference--we're not running a marathon with it, and its weight is distributed upon on a strap.

2. bbigd0

bbigd0 Strat-Talk Member

I got a Blond Japanese Strat in the high 6 lbs a while back. Changed out those horrible Pickups it came with for Quiet Mojotones. The second I picked it up I knew it was for me. Couldn't believe a Strat could be so light. It is certainly the end of my Strat search.

3. Mudman

Mudman Strat-Talk Member

I consider 7.5-8.5 normal for a strat. Under that would be light. My tele is 6.8 and it feels like a feather next to my other guitars.

4. datsunrobbie

datsunrobbie New Member!

Both my Aerodyne strats (no pickguard) weigh in at 7.0 lbs, my American Standard is 8.1 lbs. and my Acoustasonic is 6.2 lbs.

After messing around with very wide straps I got hooked on the Dimarzio stretch strap.

5. Kmanshaman

Kmanshaman Strat-Talk Member

What kind of scale is everyone using? Hanging? Something like this?
    [​IMG]

6. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talker

Alder or Ash?

I have a 7.75 '56 RI that feels just right
    a 7.5 '56 RI that feels light. Both being Alder. I think anything at 7.5 feels light for me as far as a Strat goes. Up to 8lbs feels regular.

I have two '54 RIs at 6.9lbs and they feel pretty light.

7. Strat it up

Strat it up New Member!

My CS61 strat is about 7.12 lbs and feels light. Not like a feather but light. My Jeff Beck strat is about 7.8 lbs that feels ok.

8. Fretcat

Fretcat New Member!

My favourite Strat I bought new in 1976 weighs nearly 3,5 kg which is 7,7 lbs. No additional routings under the pickguard. I really love it but in order to keep it in good condition I play it only on concerts and a bit before.

Attached Files:

9. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-O-Master

I like a heavier guitar they just seem to hang better
    But I really don't care as long as I like the guitar.

10. RolyG

RolyG Strat-Talk Member

Lovely Looking Neck.

11. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

I'd consider 7lbs light, but I like them even lighter (a Music Man, at 6.4lbs is my main guitar). A pound here or there absolutely makes a difference if you are a a pro player who stands for hours at a time and has some back injuries/ issues.

12. navigate40

navigate40 Strat-Talker

If you have any kind of chronic pain in your shoulder, upper arm muscle pain, back pain ... all of which are pretty common....a half a pound can make a difference.

Agree that 7 lbs is nice. Got that in a new PRS Zach Myers (semi-hollow). Wonderful quality, great tone and playability. 6 lbs, 14 oz.

But, I was able to knock 8 oz off my strat by simply replacing the neck plate with bushings and using an aluminum trem block. It is now 7 lbs, 4 oz...which is nice.

Knocked 4 oz off my tele by using plastic knobs and replacing the neck plate. 7 lbs, 6 oz. This is now the upper limit of what I consider to be acceptable...for me.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.