What were they thinking??!?

hwy1strat

Strat-O-Master
Mar 17, 2009
Land Of Misfit Toys
Granted…..it was a great idea to put Noiseless pickups in the latest series of Player Strats.
But this Humbucker in the HSS Player Strat is butt fugly!!
I, personally, have never liked the Wide Range Humbuckers……IMHO….Fender just can’t do humbuckers!
They’d be better off putting an exposed bobbin humbucker in there!
The offset pickup cover screws are just off putting and upsetting to me!

491353D4-9851-4EA5-BE6F-99C9EB59CA81.jpeg

Last edited:

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I would like it better with a darker FB but I like the paint job. Then Again, I painted this a couple years ago.
20190508_224738.jpg

Cerb

Anti conformist reformist
Jan 22, 2016
Sweden
Granted…..it was a great idea to put Noiseless pickups in the latest series of Player Strats.

View attachment 507564
It's the modern version of a wide range humbucker.

I've had that pickup in a Tele and it sounds absolutely amazing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Wide_Range

CalicoSkies

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
I actually like how it looks (and the guitar overall), though it's not my favorite color. The Player Plus series seems to be what has replaced the MIM Deluxe (and the older Deluxe Player's Strat), but I'm a bit disappointed they got rid of some of the older colors (such as the transparent sapphire blue and the transparent red on the ash body).

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
I agree. It doesn't look right.

Although, from personal experience with a Tele Deluxe '72 Reissue, if I was going to have a wrhb, it would have to be at the bridge, as they are uninspiringly muddy at the neck. Maybe putting the wrhb in the bridge will boost the market for second pickguard and/or the vintage spec's cunife wrhbs?

This all makes me wanna check out the other color options. The op's "Easter edition" doesn't suit me, but sometimes an different color manages to tie it all together.

Kudos to Fender for keeping us on our toes. Gives us a new wave of things to rave/complain about every few years.

Edit: the new color options are interesting. But what I don't understand is why consumers can't choose which neck goes with which body. These are simple bolt-on necks, after all. The new Tequila Sunrise color would look really cool with a dark fretboard, but with maple I don't want it.

Last edited:

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
That HB is the V Mod II double tap if I am not mistaken. It's not a new WR at all if it is. @Lonn had a tele with two of them in it not too long ago.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
I, personally, have never liked the Wide Range Humbuckers……IMHO….Fender just can’t do humbuckers!

View attachment 507564

I agree, in fact, I don’t like the look of covered humbuckers on any guitar, show us yer bobbins!

John C

Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
That HB is the V Mod II double tap if I am not mistaken. It's not a new WR at all if it is. @Lonn had a tele with two of them in it not too long ago.

Yep; it's not a Wide Range, it is a normal humbucker dressed up to look like a Wide Range. I don't think it is the V Mod II Double Tap but it is likely an MIM pickup that is very similar to the USA V Mod II version.