What were they thinking??!?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by hwy1strat, Sep 14, 2021.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Those glitzy finishes are for young Instagram and TikTok stars, not old guitar forum curmudgeons.

2. hwy1strat

hwy1strat Strat-O-Master

I have a similar covered humbucker thing going on with one of my Strats but the screw situation is a lot more pleasing than the Wide Range Humbucker look…
    And NO….the reversed headstock look is not disturbing in any way!
    It’s my little nod to Jimi…
    46B7DC3B-1D37-4650-B39A-BF813ED80E37.jpeg

JJ119 likes this.
  3. Supa Necta

Supa Necta Strat-Talker

Will definitely try to score a green strat or tele body from this line from Stratosphere.

SGD74 likes this.
  4. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

It's because they've got a shed load of those humbuckers lying around that no-one wants.

Chipss36 and StratUp like this.
  5. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Silver Member

I don't about that...I really like it!
    Maybe I'm not curmudgeonly enough :D

JJ119 and bgmacaw like this.
  6. Bakelite1

Bakelite1 Strat-Talker

The real WRHBs would have been deployed in the seventies if Fender thought they were appropriate.

I'd like to try one in the neck of a Duo Sonic along with a Tele bridge pickup.

7. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

looks fine to me

8. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

I saw the Andertons vid - from their new set - and while I liked some of the colors, I wasn't overly (or should that be over-Lee?) impressed.

It seems Fender dropped the S1 push-push (about time too IMHO) but are using a push-pull on the strat, and Lee had problems pulling on a Strat knob, just like me.

The better ends on the frets, great. That blue to white fade on the GSS Strat, love-er-Lee (okay no more puns). Locking tuners, great but so what? That humbucker and the noiseless pickups though...

9. JRSIV

JRSIV Stuck in the Middle Position Silver Member

My issue isn't so much the appearance & layout of the Player Plus line, it's that it exists at all.

I know that guitar sales are supposed to be better than they've been for years but is it really necessary to have like 5-6 different incremental levels of a single model?

For instance the Player Strat I just bought a few weeks ago was pushing $900 after tax, etc. There were several mint, barely used American Pro's and even Pro II's on Reverb for $1200-1300 including shipping. If this line is going for close to $1100 on the street after tax why would someone even bother with them if for another C-note they're in US made, Pro territory?

I get some may like the color options or "just another 100 bucks" is a big deal for many of us, but man, I just can't see why this line exists. Plus, they're VERY vauge on the Noiseless pups. I looked for the past 30 min. and can't find any info on just what "Player Noiseless pickups" are.

Are they previous generation Noiseless pickups? Are they some new proprietary pickup just for this line? How do they compare to the top Ultra Noiseless pickups Fender offers and the Vintage Noiseless?

If you guys have more insights I'd appreciate it...

JJ119 and Baelzebub like this.
  10. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

My only problem is Fender naming pickups Wide Range, when they are just «revoiced humbuckers». The CuNiFe WD in my tele sounds great, much much better than the stock «fake» one. I like the humbucker in my Ultra too, so I’ve no problem with Fender making them.

JJ119 likes this.
  11. Clickitysplit

Clickitysplit Strat-Talker

If only it had no headstock, the look would be complete. Thing probably puts out a blizzard of icy-cold Strat tones, though, to go with that iceberg color scheme….like nice bottle of Schnapps.

StratUp likes this.
  12. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I think it looks fine, but to me this whole line is just kind of 'meh'. Nothing about it makes me scream "I gotta have that!"

JJ119 and stevierayfan91 like this.
  13. Jim Carl

Jim Carl Strat-Talk Member

I don't mind the pickup cover. To my eyes it's the fade paint job and pau ferro fret board that make this guitar look cheap.

14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

There are only so many ways Fender can re-mix the same 75 year old guitar so you will buy another one.

These pickup covers look terrible. Why they did not install red covers and knobs is beyond me....

00x.jpg

StratUp likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

The blue fade and the antique pickup bobbins and knobs are the mismatch problem.

Performance wise it could be ok.

16. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

So
    How do ya really feel

17. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Has that Schnapps been stored in the freezer?

18. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

The offset HB thing has always looked odd. But what's worse is a flat chrome cover, offsets or not, on a Strat where the singles are essentially open cover. The HB needs to be open cover and looking like two singles back-to-back to complement the B & M middle singles.

The color scheme, meh, not for me but to each his own on that.

19. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

If by modern version you mean a standard humbucker in a wide range case, then yes.

From your link(and many, many pics online):

There are three reissues of the wide range pickup using two designs: one manufactured in Japan using ceramic magnets and one in Mexico using alnico. Despite an almost identical appearance to the original 1970s unit, both are regular Humbuckers in large cases; surrounded by wax to take up space and prevent resonant feedback.

The current Mexican reissues, much like a Gibson humbucker, feature a bar magnet underneath the bobbins that abuts to six screw type pole-pieces in each coil; they are simply conventional humbuckers placed in the larger "wide range" humbucker casing, and the gap is filled with wax. Although neither pickup precisely replicates the sound of the original, they are tonally similar.

The third reissue is the Cunife magnet reproductions.

Its not a wide range humbucker. It's just a standard hb in a wide range case. The only thing they sell that's a wide range humbucker are their genuine, CuNiFe magnet wide range humbuckers that are built exactly like they used to be. Anything else isn't a WR hb.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    eclecticsynergy and Cerb like this.
  20. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

That is exactly what I mean.