What were they thinking??!?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by hwy1strat, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

The wide range pickup failed in the 70s, makes perfect sense they are trying again. They reissue the lowly silver face amps, and people love em? Strange.

even people who like the old wide range pickups don’t like the new ones.

have no idea why anybody would use it today, with all the excellent paf types available…it just an oddball pickup to me.

actually strats with vintage appointments are way more rare, than modern takes, I don’t get strats that are modern, I have a few Ibanez for that, and Ibanez does modern better than fender, I feel the same way with Les Pual’s or tele’s.

I agree, that strat looks like poo…

2. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

I had no idea they were also making a fake WR pickup. That's bogus. Literally.

JJ119 likes this.
  3. JRSIV

JRSIV Stuck in the Middle Position Silver Member

We'll both points boil down to this: even though FMIC moved away from many of CBS's methods & practices they retained that big business focus on the bottom line. Which is fine, businesses exist to make money. How far you let that ethos rule you is the question.

They won't do red covers & knobs because they have a warehouse full of plastics already. They'll dummy up a standard humbucker and call it a WR humbucker because that's cheaper than building up another pickup from scratch.

I still love Fender but wish they'd make some concessions towards building they're legacy and reputation at the cost of maybe making only $15 million in profit vs. $17 million. Since they're privately owned, Fender's financials are not made public but CEO Andy Mooney said in 2018 Fender's revenue was in excess of $500 million a year, and in 2020 they sold more guitars than any other year previously.

I'm not saying for Fender not to make money, I just feel some investment in the company can go a long way.

4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Anytime Fender tries to innovate, the guitars never sell.

The average fender customer wants that 75 year old guitar their great grandfather played.

It took them 30 years to even start installing stainless frets - baby steps

fender-performer-body.jpg IMG_8038.jpg

13122414001732b.png

JJ119 likes this.
  5. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

Are you talking about the «fake»
    Wide Range that is just a humbucker in disguise, or the CuNiFe version? Cause I’ve saw and read everything I could find before I bought one, and just about everyone was very positive about the CuNiFe reissue, even the ones who owned a 70s version. Thats why I ended up replacing the stock neck pickup in my Vintera Custom 70’s tele, and it is awesome.

6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Are you guys talking about the pickup in the Player Plus HSS Strat or the pickups found in the Vintera 70s Tele Custom & Deluxe models?

The one in the Player Plus is standard humbucker sized; it just cosmetically mimics a Wide Range by splitting the exposed adjustable polepiece screws between the two coils; it's not a Wide Range sized cover over a normal humbucker like what they put in the Vinteras.

Cerb likes this.
  7. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I was referring to the one in the OP. By "modern version of" I meant that it's not even close to the original Wide Range humbucker with CuNiFe magnets and whatnot.

Wound_Up, John C and cranky like this.
  8. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

My wife thinks the Strat in the op is pretty.

I dislike it. But I think it's more due to the layout of the colors more than anything. If those colors were mixed in with some white in a tie-dye style, I'd dig it.

Edit: ok, now I officially want a tie-dye Strat with these colors. Anyone got anything like that? @Believer7713 @Scott Baxendale is tie-dyeing a Strat body something you do? Or even a Mustang offset type?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  9. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Fender did some. These 3 are on Reverb.

I remember making tie dyed t shirts at the day care I went to when I was a kid. I wanted a blue one and it didn't turn out so well. I still wore it but it want nearly as bright and clear as the other colors.

Screenshot_20210918-050822_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20210918-050845_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20210918-050903_Reverb.jpg