Join Strat-Talk Today

What's a original contour body?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by coltpeacemaker, Jul 31, 2019.

1. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talk Member

I prefer the way a Tele hangs when standing & have never been hurt by one (& my Tele has binding front & back, so there's basically no radius on the edge). I find the Strat more comfortable to sit & play. So that's 100% backwards to what most would say. Each to their own, right?

Stratoskater likes this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Ah, dreamers.......;)

dirocyn likes this.
  3. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Woman was created by a Telecaster.

4. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Strat-Talker

Apparently it was Rex Gallion who is responsible for the 'Original Contour Body'.

Leo's first strat prototypes didn't have cutouts or rounded edges but Rex said to him whilst handling one something like "You know Leo, since you don't need straight sides for a sound chamber there's no need for a squared off body anymore".

In time the idea spread to some of Fender's other instruments as Leo sporadically redesigned them.

5. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

Speaking of redesign, are there any other Fender guitars that were redesigned during the course of their production run, rather than being supplanted or replaced by another model? I can think of the Precision Bass and the Musicmaster/Duo Sonic, anything else? I guess Telecaster Thinline got a make-over too.

6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

It is indeed a matter of personal preference...

I’ve honestly never had any problems with non-contoured Tele (or even Les Paul) bodies jabbing me in the ribs, so that is pretty much a non-issue for me.

In fact, it really never occurred to me that this was actually a serious problem before I first heard of the whole “Contour Body” thing - and even then I can’t say that I found it to be an absolute necessity (although I do understand that other people may consider it to be a major advantage).

On the other hand, my Strats do tend to slide off my lap when playing sitting down (especially when I’m not using a strap), which can be fairly irritating at times - particularly when I’m trying to write a song and the damn things keeps shifting around!

Either way, for me the Strat would be just fine even if it didn’t have any contouring, although I must admit that it definitely adds to its overall sexiness...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    ibdrkn1, Stratomike and Stratoskater like this.
  7. DaveTone

DaveTone Strat-O-Master

I have more belly than cut these days.

Mr Hockey and JP68 like this.
  8. Mr Hockey

Mr Hockey Strat-Talker

I love my Tele. It's my number one. I am also a fat guy that love Strats as well. :thumb:

JP68 and ibdrkn1 like this.
  9. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

The Original Countour Body is the one that hugs you back.

JP68 and coltpeacemaker like this.
  10. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

Heck my Mustang has a couture body.

coltpeacemaker likes this.
  11. coltpeacemaker

coltpeacemaker Strat-Talk Member

Cheers for the info and pics

12. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I tend to hold my Strat classical-style when playing sitting down, more vertical, with the end in my lap between my thighs. No shifting, and supposedly it's better for your wrists.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  13. Ditchgator

Ditchgator Strat-Talker

At AMS look up say...an American professional series stratocaster. Look at the pic(s) of the back of the body.
    Then look up the American original series 60's Stratocaster and take a gander of its backside.
    Pay close attention to how far the carve is from the trem cutout.
    That might give you an idea of the different types of "Original Contour Body"? Hope this helps.:thumb::cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.