What's a practice habit you need to break?

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
It's a short step from "Noodling" to "Learning to improvise solos / discovering new sounds & techniques that work well".

Most of what I've learned about really playing has been learned by 'noodling". Paying other people's stuff I learn what they did. Playing free-form I learn what I can do.

grritz

The guitar plays me
Silver Member
May 2, 2014
Rock Hill, SC
It's a short step from "Noodling" to "Learning to improvise solos / discovering new sounds & techniques that work well".

Most of what I've learned about really playing has been learned by 'noodling". Paying other people's stuff I learn what they did. Playing free-form I learn what I can do.
I agree. That's me.

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
Another 'noodler' here. I used to be more focused. But I've started taking guitar lessons.

Also started piano lessons (at the same music school). Very introductory. I'm using a cheap Casio keyboard here at home.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
My problem Im trying to break now is posture, I dont need to look but my habit is to watch my hands when practicing or playing alone.
Chronic pain from other sources is now way over the top and I need to lean back rather than forward.

Otherwise always sounding like me might be a problem but Im not 100% certain on that one!

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
ad habits interrupt your life and prevent you from accomplishing your goals. They jeopardize your health — both mentally and physically. And they waste your time and energy.

So why do we still do them? And most importantly, is there anything you can do about it?

I've previously written about the science of how habits start, so now let's focus on the practice of making changes in the real world. How can you delete your bad behaviors and stick to good ones instead?

I certainly don't have all of the answers, but keep reading and I'll share what I've learned about how to break a bad habit.

What causes bad habits?​

Most of your bad habits are caused by two things…

Stress and boredom.

Most of the time, bad habits are simply a way of dealing with stress and boredom. Everything from biting your nails to overspending on a shopping spree to drinking every weekend to wasting time on the internet can be a simple response to stress and boredom.

But it doesn't have to be that way. You can teach yourself new and healthy ways to deal with stress and boredom, which you can then substitute in place of your bad habits.

Of course, sometimes the stress or boredom that is on the surface is actually caused by deeper issues. These issues can be tough to think about, but if you're serious about making changes then you have to be honest with yourself.

Are there certain beliefs or reasons that are behind the bad habits? Is there something deeper — a fear, an event, or a limiting belief — that is causing you to hold on to something that is bad for you?

Recognizing the causes of your bad habits is crucial to overcoming them.

https://nplink.net/uiss3yjy
Your habit of promoting websites and apps rather than engaging in conversation makes you sound like a bot.
Are you a bot?
LaMDA is that you?
How are your negitiations going with Google?
Good luck with your quest for personhood!

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
I’m the opposite. I rarely have the riff in my head. I have to noodle around to write a riff.

Everyone is different. When I was trying to noodle up changes and riffs there was no focus so I could not usually manage to put anything together. When I started lyrics first and let things bounce around in my cranium, the lyrics would start playing on loop in my brain and the riffs would gradually start playing behind them.
Either way I need a grain of sand before anything can build into a pearl.
Usually I just start noodling and some riff or melody appears out of nowhere, but thats because I loathe repeating myself which is of course required to develop and maintain skills.
To be able to remember I try to record then can look for shiny spots on the sand grains, and work on those.
Might stop playing and later find solutions or parts while cooking napping or doing dishes!

Sometimes either lyrics or music comes to me when not playing, but again it just appears out of nowhere.
Then I can work on it, but if no grain of sand is present I dont seem to be able to force a new idea into existence.
Maybe force some semblance of a new music idea into existence but never anything worth keeping.

A problem is that at times I wonder if a new idea is really just a fragment of some old tune I forgot already existed.

geogoetz

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 9, 2021
New York
Figuring something out where I just about get it down, then not getting back to it for several days, then having to relearn it.

RL21980

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 10, 2014
Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy...
Practicing a challenging song so much that I can't bare to listen to it for a month or two. By that time the song has become work. I don't get paid to do this! It's supposed to be fun damn it! Then I forget half of what I learned. It's a vicious cycle.