Join Strat-Talk Today

What's a reasonable price range for a used MIM Strat on Craigslist?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by datstrat, Oct 15, 2014.

1. datstrat

datstrat Strat-Talker

I've seen some ridiculous prices for used MIM Strats...$400, $500, heck, even $600 (well unless they upgraded the heck out of it)

Mind you, most of these Strats were made between 1990s to pre-2008*, when they started adding the CBS-style logo on the headstocks.

What's a reasonable price range for one of these Strats? I could really care less about maple or rosewood at this point.

2. Marshalls surf

Marshalls surf Strat-Talker

I've sold them around here with cases $275-$300, currently have one for sale and getting offers of $200-$250. They can piss off.

3. datstrat

datstrat Strat-Talker

I feel $300 is a bit too much, but that's just me

$250 sounds like the best for me

4. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Lots of variations in mim strats. Are the 600 dollar Mims standards? If so that's too much but not ridiculous for say a classic player. Mim standard should be 200-300 at most

5. MojoBluesMan

MojoBluesMan Strat-Talker

You need to really check a 200. dollar Strat out close. It could have a stripped out truss rod, or a neck thats twisted, frets all worn out, a short in the wiring or pots, bad crack in the neck joint. You need to check all this on any Strat thats used.

6. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    I've bought many many MIM strats and teles for $200 and less. Once I got a 60th MIM strat with case for $150.

7. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

In Canada, where you are, $350 is about right for a MIM Standard.

8. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Datstrat, are these MIM standards or the "Vintage Reissue" models? And what is the equivalent in dollars? US is like what everyone said - $300. mint, less if beat up. Can you get Tokais and Dillions up in Canada? How are those guitars?

9. GMS23

GMS23 Strat-Talk Member

$250 sounds right

10. datstrat

datstrat Strat-Talker

These are MIM standards. I would pay more for a deluxe or a special type of MIM, but not standards.

11. MojoBluesMan

MojoBluesMan Strat-Talker

on these great deals you got you paid 150. just for a case?

12. doctorrockit

doctorrockit Strat-Talk Member

About 3 year back I bought a 2004 MIM for $215! Clean, but whacked out setup. It also was satin Midnight Wine with a new black 3 ply pick guard and trem cavity cover. A little unusual, and probably contributed to the low price.

Intonation was sideways and pickguard was stressed and warped. I reset everything to Fender factory specs and changed the pickguard. Setup correctly it plays and sounds nice - but this wasn't a guitar for someone not well versed in the use of tools. Oh yeah, and the original pups sound fine through my little Vox 15r! I got what I paid for.

13. BarryR

BarryR Senior Stratmaster

In the used MIM market I would say that a well treated Standard MIM is worth around $250. Upgraded MIMs that have an asking price of between $400 and $600 I would pass on because they are asking $150 to $350 for used upgraded hardware and usually not offering the original hardware as part of the deal.

14. Hugh

Hugh Got Punch ? Strat-Talk Supporter

If I were looking to buy a MIM Standard Strat, I'd pay 250 without a case for a minty one or up to 300 for one with a hsc.

That's here in Louisville Ky.

15. Sobriquet

Sobriquet Strat-Talk Member

For a MIM Standard? $200-$250.

16. datstrat

datstrat Strat-Talker

17. mcmacguy

mcmacguy Senior Stratmaster

That is what they go for on the east coast too. You can add for serious pickup upgrades or a good hard case, but even then the standard Strats won't fetch much more than $300. Check the frets and nut carefully, no sense buying a MIM Strat with a lot of,wear when there so many others out there

18. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

In my area-where there's no big supply like the big cities:

A beater would bring $175-200 (or possibly less) unless the seller is desperate or naïve. Average condition is closer to $200-$250, better condition $250-$300 and a truly mint, or near mint for over $300 depending on what gig bag or case may be in the mix.

BTW, I often LOL when a CL (or forum classified) seller lists a guitar as mint, and then provides a long list of dings, cracks, or other finish problems that occurred after it left the store! :rolleyes:

19. Marshalls surf

Marshalls surf Strat-Talker

I bought a MIM strat in Daytona on C/L for $100, by the time I got there he had so many calls that he raised the price $20! It was rough but I was happy to get it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  20. trashedlostfdu

trashedlostfdu Strat-Talk Member

i have paid from $175 to $300 (new with tags sticker and plastic).

i wouldn't want to pay a dime over $275. UNLESS it is modded properly for something i want.

i prefer to not buy modded guitars. i know what i am doing, half the others are idiots. i would rather do it myself. if i buy a modded guitar, i resolder every joint that has been with it and check everything out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.