1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

WHATS MY MIM WORTH?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarjonny, Jun 7, 2018.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

How is it impossible to give an estimate to someone without a photo? I disagree. If the seller knows what they have, and it really is in mint condition, what is seeing a photo going to do, other than confirm that’s what it is?

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

In Cali you would get $400 for the guitar and maybe $50 for the case.

If you lived near Lonn you would only get $200 for both. :p

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I agree, however, "I have a 1999 mim strat thats black with a white pick guard and rosewood neck.", sadly does not meet your criteria.

abnormaltoy and nickmsmith like this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

You'd have to pay Lonn to take them away. ;)

5. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

You would be lucky to get $300 around here.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

It is not worth significantly more even in truly mint 1 owner condition, it is worth what the Blue Book says your MIM Strat is worth, which is standard fare for it's year, model and condition.

If it is not a vintage Holy Grail model or was rock star owned it is just a used guitar in a buyers market -

abnormaltoy and nickmsmith like this.
  7. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

In this area, I see Standards listed used for $375-$500 with case.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  8. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster

You can list one for $1000.00 if you want.
    What do they really sell for?

9. Chasy

Chasy Strat-O-Master

I had to pay 400 for a 98 MIM in NOSY condition. Looks unplayed. Came with a beat up old no name hardshell. When you want one, you cant find one so 400 was a bit much I know but I couldn't see spending 600 for a new one and I was looking for a project guitar anyways. Needed the 200 for pickups and tumers.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

Anecdotally, it seems like MIM Strats stay on my local CL forever if they are listed above $325. They seem to disappear fairly quickly if they are listed below $275. That's without a hard case. I'd say closer to 275 for a quick sale, closer to 325 if the seller has some patience. Depending on quality, I'd guess no more than 50 for the case.

I used the Advanced Search to look at the eBay completed listings. I'm actually surprised by the going prices for MIM Strats.

My findings are not scientific in any way shape or form. I took my info from the search page only -- I did not open individual ads. I did not consider the year or condition of the guitars. In an effort to come as close as possible to @guitarjonny 's guitar, I ruled out special models (Jimmy Vaughn, Hendrix Tribute, etc.), anything left-handed, anything modded, and anything with one or more humbuckers. I tried to make a note of any other variables, such as color. And when the ad was unclear, I simply omitted that guitar from my list. In my haste, surely some of my own biases slipped through.

I analyzed 22 "normal" MIM Strats sold between May 5 and May 12.
    • The average selling price for 17 sold without hard cases was $310.
    • The average price for the five sold with hard cases was $335, or $25 more with the case.
    • Shipping averaged $51.
    So the average buyer shelled out $361 for a MIM Strat without a case, or $386 for a MIM Strat with a hard case.

As far as I could tell, "unusual" features (yellow color, Aztec Gold, 50's RI, Jimmy Vaughn, Plus top) on an SSS MIM jacked the prices up. Of the seven of those I saw, the average price was $467 with an average shipping price of $29.57. I did not note that any of those came with hard cases.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

$200 to $300. I had 2 year old mim in mint condition that i could not sell for more than $300.

ChukkerNation and abnormaltoy like this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Isn't that always the way? Cars, guitars, amps ... :mad:

Welcome to the forum. :)

abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

Well, I have no idea what they sell for on CL... nor do I care.

14. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

yeah, in NO, I bet there are a lot of guitar players, which drives up demand. I got my first Ibanez Artcore from Craigslist in New Orleans. Great deal on a great guitar.

jjudas likes this.
  15. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

$3-350. it's a 1999 no matter how cherry it's still an almost 20 year old used guitar. it has the old specs and isn't as desirable. black ones are a dime a dozen.

16. rich815

rich815 Senior Stratmaster

If you’re selling then probably you can get no more than $300. If anyone here wants to buy it then they have to pay closer to $400.

I mean, ain’t it always that way?

17. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

I paid $325 for my Used 2010 MIM Strat from Guitar Center... You can probably get $300 for it.. I'd start asking at $350-400

18. apm1991

I just bought a used ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe, new they're priced at about $899.. this guitar is in perfect condition and I'm not getting any offers at my asking of $450

19. apm1991

I once had someone offer me $100 for a MIM Strat... when I told him no, he continued telling me how he can buy MIM Strats for $100 new in the store.. I told him he should go do that then

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

And you have the flipside where somebody is trying to sell a Squier Affinity for $300 because they paid $399 for it at some rip off band instrument store.

Bob the builder and apm1991 like this.