What's the appeal of getting a new vintage style Strat with the truss rod in the most inconvenient place?

catsandstrats

Strat-Talker
Aug 2, 2020
US
Purely aesthetic to me. I just prefer the look of the clean horizontal rosewood line on Strats with the heel adjust. Paired with the vintage style tuners… ooh ooh ooh, it’s my favorite.

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
Slack the strings...loosen the screws...tilt the neck in the pocket...turn the screw. Reverse.
Wait a day. If you need to repeat...repeat.

Some things should be difficult to adjust. Because the truth is it doesn't need to be done that often. If ever. I have had a Strat for 39 years, and the truss rod has been adjusted...once. Once!

Quit adjusting and go play. The internet is not your friend.;)

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
Slack the strings...loosen the screws...tilt the neck in the pocket...turn the screw. Reverse.
Wait a day. If you need to repeat...repeat.

Some things should be difficult to adjust. Because the truth is it doesn't need to be done that often. If ever. I have had Strat for 39 years, and the truss rod has been adjusted...once. Once!

Quit adjusting and go play. The internet is not your friend.;)
My thoughts exactly.

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
That's exactly what the team who did the final set-up at the Fender plant used to do. It's pretty fast if you know the procedure. England has a temperate climate, so I've never needed to adjust a Fender guitar neck truss-rod, and I've probably only adjusted a Fender bass a few times.

Willmunny

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Mcleary Wa
It's just an aesthetic thing. I prefer the vintage look. I rarely have to adjust a truss rod, but I look at my strats every day.
I love the look of the solid plug at the top of the neck.
Truss adjustments are rare enough and easy enough if needed.

tinkertoy

Strat-O-Master
Feb 10, 2020
In a state of sunshine
I understand wanting an actual vintage Strat, even though I would never get one even if I could. What I don't understand is why they'd make new vintage ones with the truss rod adjustment on the bottom of the neck where you have to unbolt the whole thing to adjust the relief. It's such an inconvenient placement. I don't understand why you'd put yourself through that for the sake of making it like the original. Am I missing an added benefit to that? To each their own and I mean no disrespect to those that like it. I'm just trying to understand if it's something past wanting it like the original for accuracy's sake.
Because people be crazy, yo.

Perhaps they worship at the alter of Leo fender?
Maybe it's this obsession with "vintage guitars are better", and any little detail has to be just like it was back then?
I call that market perception.

I can say with near certainty that 9 out of 10 random suhrs will be amazing guitars, while you might get 1 or 2 amazing strats with a very likely chance that you will get zero.

Or like I said, market perception.

I am all for modern improves myself.

Double truss rods
Flatter radius necks
Locking tuners
Better saddles
Etc.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Leo's worst idea. Totally nonsensical. I can't imagine why anyone would want one unless they're buying an actual vintage guitar and there's no choice.

Guitarists have to stop holding on to old technology that's been replaced by better alternatives simply for tradition.

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
It’s true though, vintage correct is the only way to go!! No but I do like a 9.5 radius with a little bigger frets. Nothing wrong with modern fenders either, it’s just not what I prefer. So fussing about a simple truss rod adjustment once every few years is no problem.
Exactly.

Slacker G

Senior Stratmaster
May 16, 2021
Iowa
It seals in the tone in when the truss rod adjustment is located in the heel of the neck.
That could happen.

Hydr0

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 3, 2015
New York
This seems to be the case, some people care and some people don't...not sure what to say to people who care about it, either way.

Best advice I could give, you be you and don't worry about anyone else.