Whats the deal with KISS?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Giant, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

so, i admit it. its a guilty pleasure, but i've loved KISS ever since if first saw the makeup and stuff. I was born in 76 so i was super late to the party. anyway, i listened to em a LOT when i was a kid and i still like em.
    anyway, i put on their album Love Gun with the intention of learning a couple of the songs on there. Their stuff is fun, but not complicated. Trouble is, almost every song is tuned differently. Like one song will be a little more than a half step flat, then the next one is a little less than a half step, and the next one will be different from that. Sucks. Its not the guitar because i never have any tuning problems with it. im guessing it has something to do with it being recorded so long ago stuff. who knows. im pretty sure my ipod is not changing the pitch. ha ha
    anyone else run into this stuff?

2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist

It's pure genius at work, keeps peeps from plagiarzing their stuff ~! Kiss is always genius ... LOL

3. platypibri

platypibri Senior Stratmaster

It's probably because a guitar was tuned to it's self and then used as reference for the rest of the band. This is my guess. I do not have any insider knowledge to KISS recording techniques.. They also could have been using a not-quite-in-tune piano that was in the studio for reference pitch. Or, it could be caused by slight variations in tape speed.

4. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

i was thinkin the tape speed thing, but who knows. ha ha.

5. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

What really happened to Ace? I hear its Alcohol and Gene and Paul just don't want to work with him till he's got a grip on it? Any-truth?

6. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

old news really. ha ha. he was a heavy alcoholic for most of his time with kiss and for a long time after. apparently he is sober now.
    there is a ton of bad blood between them. gene wrote a tell-all and trashed him, and hes sayin hes gonna write a book, and blah blah. just some fifty year old kids that cant get over themselves.
    ace did solo stuff, like frehleys comet, and some more solo records. (trouble walkin' and some more). i heard a while back he did a little club tour with peter criss with then name "the bad boys of rock n roll".
    who knows....

7. 50thFan

50thFan Strat-Talker

Also, for the reunion tour, and forward Ace and Peter were paid employees, not true members. The number of concerts got bumped way up on the reunion tour by Gene and Doc McGhee when they saw how the shows were selling out. This kinda pissed Ace and Peter off since they were paid for the tour as a whole and not by concert.

8. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

that would irk me too.
    now they just have two other dudes painted up like them.
    that also would irk me too. ha ha

9. bowhunter

bowhunter Strat-O-Master

The tuning was for a fatter sound on some songs,,I know what you mean a pain to work on the tunes when you have to tune up to everyone of them

10. bowhunter

bowhunter Strat-O-Master

Hey Giant,,,,Here`s something funny,,I was in the KISS army in 1976,,I was in the 6th grade when Destroyer came out,,On the inside sleeve there was a KISS army Picture thing it was $5.00 to join lol,,I begged my mom and she gave in! They always sent cool pics and stuff,,I wish I had all that stuff now,,Any way they had a duel guitar heavy rock sound and did alot of harmony type stuff before alot of others (Priest,,Maiden),Take away the glam and make up,,They had some heavy stuff going on!!,,,,Here` an old clip of that time era,,,Listen to some of the guitar work

YouTube - KISS Alive! Tour 1976 - Black Diamond

11. GuitarCrazy

GuitarCrazy Strat-O-Master

Every kid had the Kiss poster back in the 70's.:)

12. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

im very familiar with them. i had every single album they made (though at the time it was cassette). One thing they do thats simple but cool, is how one guy will play a normal G power chord, and the other guy will just play a higher inversion of it. for the whole song. doubling each other. its nothing genius, but it just sounds cool.

13. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

I bet the differing tunings had something to due with the heavy alcohol consumption mentioned earlier.

14. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

ha ha. probably.

15. Zapher

Zapher Strat-Talk Member

Well Ace is just....ace!

I heard my first Kiss song when I found my uncles tape with God of thunder and Strutter i think it was, still got that tape around here somewhere, man its the tape that threw me into Hard Rock.

My first Kiss CD was some "Greatest Hits", after that I was stuck, When i was around 12 I had all of their albums and my room was filled with Kiss posters.

Im born 1990 and 1998 or 1999 i went to see Kiss in Stockholm at the Globe (with our dad).
    I was 8 years old and had Gene Simmons makeup and my brother wich was 6 years old had Paul Stanleys makeup. ;)

I got my first kiss to "I was made for loving you" aswell. :oops:

Love em!

16. 67Strat

67Strat Strat-Talker

No doubt they tuned up or down here and there as well as messed around with tape speed. I can't think of any band that had the same tuning across the board for everything they recorded.

I feel Kiss gets too much grief due to the makeup and costumes when the reality is they were a solid band with great songs. An example is songs like I Want You had great riffs and IMO Ace's soloing was every bit as cool as anything Jimmy Page did. Not that they lacked fame or exposure but I think they would have been taken more seriously if they looked like Skynyrd.

17. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist

I hope not ~! I liked as they were, they were worldwide ...

18. 67Strat

67Strat Strat-Talker

I still like Kiss and listen often. A few years ago I bought every album up to Dynasty, well almost I still need the solo albums. Matter of fact I have Rock and Roll Over in my car, just took it out of the deck yesterday because I wanted to hear some SRV.

19. Jagboy

Jagboy Strat-Talk Member

Is it an American thing?

Seriously, could someone explain the attraction of KISS to me.

I'm not being sarcastic I just don't get it! They remind me of 4 bad panto dames who play the most sterile, by the numbers rawk n roll imaginable....

No offence meant, help me understand!

anyway... flame on!

20. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist

Help you understand .... I'll try ... They had maximum stage show and rock'n'roll licks. They had an edge and were an in-your-face band, singing about partys, girls, and life or fantasy. Ultimatley it's about the songwriting, as it should be with any band, I think the songwriting was appealing. You may share a different opinion. Why is there so much yin and yang on bands like Metallica ..?... either it's for you or it's not ..
    Kiss was always very gracious to their fans and always delivered new music, they never quit on us.
    (the same is true for my other favorite Descendents/All they always gave you something new on a consistant basis, no huge gaps leaving an audience wanting.. hence in their fanbase you will see undweilding dedication)