What's up with rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by guitarface, Sep 7, 2018.

1. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I don't have much knowledge on Ricks, but would love to have a 12 string to play Byrds all day.

john lavelle and circles like this.
  2. Tom Cat Strat

Tom Cat Strat Strat-Talker

One good thing about the guy (though it can also be considered odd) is that he frequently pops up on the Rickenbacker forums. In fact, he showed up there today to add his two cents to discussions. He supplies answers to our questions, which is pretty cool for a CEO to do.

He also gets extremely nasty with forum members, too. He banned me from a forum once because I dared say that Rickenbacker guitars today were really for the rich, the elites, the Hamptons set. Hall bans a lot of people over at the Ric forum. It's almost like a badge of honor for us Rickenbacker guitar lovers to be banned. Hell, you are not a real Rickenbacker owner until you get banned from the forum by CEO John Hall. He's a nasty guy, no doubt.

himijendrix and Bera like this.
  3. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Leaving aside his demeanour he has done a wonderful job of protecting his IP. You don't see cheap copies of his guitars all over the place because he gets the lawyers straight onto any miscreants.

The company was owned by his father before him and they have deliberately kept the company to a small almost hand made operation - hence the prices.

Being a family owned operation the whole time means that they never had "bad" periods.... like those lumpen later CBS Fenders.

4. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Gorgeous collection.

Love the fireglo 360.

5. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Senior Stratmaster

I don't mean to wind anyone up, but...

Dave knows - Don't argue!

[emoji12]

Strat-Slinger likes this.
  6. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Bought a used 330 awhile back on a whim. Could not get along with it. Sold it within a year. I do like the looks of the 600 series, but after trying one there was no way it would work for me.

7. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

IMG_2209.JPG IMG_2286.jpg Don't forget this cat - he cut a few solid tunes on a Ric. I tried the 12 once and couldn't play it well my fingers were just too jammed, I understand they have a wider neck version, the petty one but never tried it. I went Fender and never looked back but it's definitely not the same sound

8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Sounds like Sterling Ball at EB/Music Man - although it seems like he's backed off his participation over the past year or so and let his sons take over as the public face of EBMM.

Regarding the "call or email for price" - I noticed that one of their dealers, Willcutt Guitars in Lexington KY has a "discount code" listed on each instruments page so when you add it to the shopping cart you can apply the "code" and see the "discounted price".

9. 6stringnate

6stringnate Strat-Talk Member

I totally agree with this reasoning after having owned a 360 model for a bit. Loved the look and sound. The feel was awkward, however as a chord strummer there is nothing better. Speed playing and bends were a challenge all because of the above mentioned. I paid $800 owned it for 10 years and sold it for $1000 so they hold their value I guess. A good change of pace guitar just never bonded with the feel.

TSims1 likes this.