Join Strat-Talk Today

What's your "bonfire guitar" threshold?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, May 23, 2020 at 4:26 PM.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

So we just had a nice family gathering on my grandma's deck and I brought my nicest acoustic; a 2005 Taylor 214 that was a little beat up when I bought it. It's an all solid wood acoustic that I got a steal on used. What I love about it is; it's an all solid wood Taylor but it didn't cost me a fortune and it's already a bit worn so I don't care about leaning it up against a wood post in the rain on my grandmother's deck. I love this acoustic but I feel like a good acoustic should be able to take a but of abuse. On the other hand if I bought say a brand new Martin D-28 for $2600 I would probably not treat it the same way at all... I don't think I'd lean a guitar I payed almost 3 grand for against my grandma's deck.

But anyways, just curious other acoustic owner's thoughts on this...

2. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Regardless of cost I’m always careful with any guitar. Having said that, the guitars I have are meant to be used. And each time you take one out of its case, there is a risk of mishaps.

Yes, I’d be angry and sad if anything bad befalls my guitars, but stuff happens.

3. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

We camp a lot in the winter months here and my go-to is a gretsch jim dandy. Under $200 new, and is a fun, punchy little acoustic. Regardless of price, I take care of it same as I do all my other guitars.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

3bolt79, thomquietwolf and mikej89 like this.
  4. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Use, don’t ABuse.

5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I take the same amount of care with all my guitars. But I'm more concerned with banging some around than others

If my Strat takes a ding no big deal. If my new LP does, different story

6. JamesE

JamesE Strat-O-Master

I know how you feel! Some years ago I decided to invest in an acoustic that would last me out, and unable to justify 4K for a Gibson J-200, bought the Epiphone EJ-200. Sometimes I was playing outdoors and one day it got a few drops of rain on it. So what did I do? I looked in the classifieds and there was and EJ-200Artist - the cheap version of the guitar. So now the first guitar gets played indoors, the second outdoors and I'm very happy with both.

BTW, please note that the tops of these guitars are solid, and have both been tested with a "laser beam".

3bolt79 and mikej89 like this.
  7. mikej89

I don't abuse my guitars, but guitars were meant to be played... If abuse is so bad on that note than how come relic beat up custom shops cost 4x as much as my factory perfect poly olympic white Strat?

8. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

There's no such thing as a campfire guitar in Australia.
    We call it Firewood.

Same goes for harmonicas.

Didges are acceptable, as are gidgee sticks.
    A skill possessed by our indigenous brothers and highly respected.

9. mikej89

So my Taylor would be used as firewood in Aussie? :D

3bolt79 and JB74 like this.
  10. Sparque

Sparque Strat-Talker

I am not all that precious with my guitars.

Don't get me wrong.
    I keep them cleaned, polished, and well-maintained.

I wipe them down with a bit of spray wax and Finger Ease after each gig or practice session.
    I work pretty hard to keep them in tip top condition.

But minor dings, chips, and smudges don't send me into an anxious frenzy.

I have owned guitars that were so pretty and shiny that I was afraid to gig with them or even get fingerprints on them.

I wised up and sold them.
    Life is too short.

;)

clean low angle.jpg

Groovey likes this.
  11. mikej89

But we're talking acoustic guitars; a PRS is not a "bonfire guitar" sir..."

3bolt79 and LPBlue like this.
  12. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

The way it works here is simple.
    If you bring any acoustic guitar or harmonica etc to a campfire with mates, your 'mates' will throw it in the fire. This will inevitably happen for one of two reasons (occasionally both)

1. your playing is horrible or your choice of music is completely unacceptable.
    2. you're all blind drunk and being stupid, and should have been in your swag 4 hours previous.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

+1 brand new pristine guitars for big money don't get played. I learned from my first electric relic (a non-playing throw in on another guitar trade) that I play better and more often on the guitars that have some mojo to them. I don't worry when I add some new stories to their tales.

Find a guy who can do a good fret level and full setup and buy a cheap guitar and get it done.

I might go $200 on one but that's about it. I don't see the same as those folks spending $2k on magic lumber and big logos. An acoustic guitar's purpose is at the beech or campfire.

Best is a used and abused $50 or $100 fixed up and leveled which is my current MIC acoustic guitar. I mostly play electric so an acoustic is there to plink on every now and then. It's had a fret level and setup so it plays at a much higher price point than when it came to me. I did modify it with an end-pin jack and a Strat pickup mounted on the neck side of the sound hole so I don't need to keep an acoustic amp around. I can plug it into my regular amps when I want.

14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

I play my Taylor 914 outside at friends houses and it was $5,000. Of course I don’t lean it or any guitar up against a pouch or anything and would never leave an acoustic near rain. I also play my $3,000 HD 28 outside too.

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

That is not a PRS.

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

Thankfully, I've been hanging around the wrong camp fires :D

3bolt79 and JB74 like this.
  17. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

I think it's totally okay to have guitars you like to baby, and others you don't.

It can be like clothes - you've got your Sunday best, and you've got your working in the garden clothes.

I bought a "gardening" guitar a few years back - a Martin 000X1AE. Campfires? Definitely. Pass it around to friends in a jam session? Yep. Holidays at the beach. Overseas trips. Not abused, but not babied. Not even close.

But yep, I've got others that I baby. Don't share. Only play in clean safe environments.

Also worth noting - it's not about the value of guitars for me. Whether their Sunday best or beach wear. It's really just a designation I give to them, generally at the time of purchase.

18. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-Talker

I thought this thread was going to be about guitars that are so lousy they are only good to throw on a bonfire!

But since we’re talking about guitars we might take camping, to the beach, on a plane, and other places where we might be hesitant to bring the number 1, my “roughing it” acoustic is a Voyage-Air. That’s the one with the neck that folds. Not only is it VERY convenient, it is actually a damn fine guitar! And I love seeing the look on people’s faces when they see me fold it up for the first time. They invariably act horrified having just seen me “break” my guitar in half!

Bill, tgo

3bolt79 and Bazz Jass like this.
  19. STRATA

STRATA Strat-Talker

i'd be most upset if i returned from shopping for gtr strings and found my premises on fire!and my personal collection of vintage gtrs aflame[nitro smell apparent]....and a crowd watching from the street.Then my postman hands me a letter he could personally deliver...Upon opening ....its my house insurance contents letter saying.''House contents insurance null & Void.. RENEWAL denied since last 3 payments not made.''.I'd be most upset!

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I've thrown a few guitars on the bonfire in my time, they truly deserved it. As for spending £3k on a guitar, I have better things to do with my money.

Hairy Bear, JB74, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.