Join Strat-Talk Today

What's your coverage? (a PSA)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Nadnitram, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

A colleague was at-fault in an auto accident this summer. She hit a Maserati and did more than $30K in damage. Her insurance policy only covers $25K of property damage, so she's on the hook for the rest. Once the rest of the parts arrive from Italy, her share could approach $15K out-of-pocket.

I just called and raised my property damage coverage from $50K to $100K. It will cost me an extra $20 per year, a small price to pay for peace of mind, especially with two teen drivers.

3bolt79, circles, Ferpie and 6 others like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

If there are injuries involved, things can get way up quickly. One might consider an umbrella policy to increase vehicle and homeowner policy coverage. I got one to cover a couple houses, three cars, a couple boats, and four motorcycles, taking them all up to one million dollars, and it's like $400 a year for the umbrella policy.

3bolt79, bsman, Nadnitram and 2 others like this.
  3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

We don't have a
    Don't like button..

4. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

I’m going to insist that both of my two teenage daughters steer well clear of all Maserati cars.

You’re friend would appear to have a poor insurance policy. We don’t have any limits here in Ireland

3bolt79 and Nadnitram like this.
  5. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Strat-O-Master Silver Member

We carry a million dollar general liability policy in addition to car and home insurance. Everybody around here does... Cali is a litigious state.

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

We have limits here. They vary by state as far a minimum required. North Carolina requires a minimum for bodily injury of $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident and a minimum of $25,000 for property damage. Many people just get the min limits because it's cheapest.

7. Speedmaster

Speedmaster Strat-Talk Member

Ouch. Many people I know only take the minimum state required limits to keep the premiums down. Usually by selecting a higher deductible you can keep the policy affordable while really pushing the coverage up. And +1 on umbrella policies, def. worth the price.

8. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Yeh, I know how they feel. I hope that you’re Insurance Companies are less “dishonest” than here in Ireland

9. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

I looked into an umbrella policy years ago. The trouble was, it would have excluded anything I might actually need umbrella coverage FOR. I’d still be interested in a true umbrella policy if there is such a thing ....

10. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-Talker

Sorry to have to point out that your colleague was a fool to have been provably at fault when plowing into a Maserati or any other brand for that matter. Thank heavens no people were damaged. Stay off that cell phone when driving is my advice.

TP

ps - I find the reaction of "more insurance" instead of be more careful to be somewhat alarming.

11. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

When I was working as a contract programmer/consultant...
    I was required to have 1,000,000
    Single incident coverage...
    Y'know
    Doing something
    On the way...
    While...
    Leaving...
    Time space....
    I still have it...
    Too lazy to do anything about it

12. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Im pretty sure I sprained my ankle in your driveway. Ill have my attorney call yours.

13. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I really don't know all of the logistical details of this situation but my parents were in an accident about a month ago and my mom was driving. She started to make a left hand turn on a rural two lane highway. At the same time a couple on a motorcycle tried to pass her and hit her on the seem of the left front door and fender basically knocking the front of the car a couple inches to the right and destroying the bike as well as putting both riders in the hospital. Neither of the bikers were wearing helmets since it is not required in Kansas and that is the reason the passenger of the bike was life-flighted to the hospital in critical condition. They both have survived, thankfully, but my mom was found to be in 25% fault while the operator of the bike at 75%. Like I said I really don't know more than that but Her insurance has her covered but the biker is now trying to sue her. Thankfully she has good insurance with good aggressive attorneys that are stepping up.
    No matter how it turns out it was a bad situation for everyone involved. The vehicles can either be repaired or replaced but injuries of that magnitude are more times than not permanent. I feel bad for the other people but am thankful that my mom and dad are physically OK. Especially with my dad suffering from advanced Parkinson's disease.

Nadnitram likes this.
  14. Speedmaster

Speedmaster Strat-Talk Member

Umm, where did he say she was on the phone? You don't have to be a fool to be assigned fault in an accident. My last collision was totally the other guy's fault, but since he was an off duty cop of course the officer that arrived assigned 100% fault to me...It took a lot of paperwork and witness statements, but I eventually got my insurance company to get the fault down to 60/40, but still.

And none of us advocated for not being more careful. I think "more insurance" could easily be interpreted as a careful move. Sorry to alarm you.

Nadnitram and Triple Jim like this.
  15. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-Talker

Not the least bit alarmed. "Speedmaster" Your name says it all. Bye.

TP

16. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Strat-Talker

Italian cars like a Maserati usually have good coverage from Sicily.:)

[​IMG]

3bolt79, Bowmap and Nadnitram like this.
  17. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

We increased our property damage coverage on both of our cars a few years ago. There is expensive metal on the streets, and repair parts and costs have significantly increased.

18. El_Pistolero

El_Pistolero Strat-O-Master

I think my umbrella policy was an extra $10/month. A bit more peace of mind.

19. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

@Speedmaster, feel free to banish trolls to the cornfield.

upload_2019-8-14_16-11-43.jpeg

20. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Wot's Insurance then?

circles likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.