What's your favorite blues riff to play?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by bobthecanadian, Feb 13, 2008.

1. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

So, what is it?

I like combining bends and double stops, I guess it would be a little bit in the style of Chuck Berry.

2. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Strat-Talker

I like many blues styles and licks . My favorite is to combine major/minor penta while adding mixolydian and dorian here and there .

3. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

I have a lot of fun with the minor to major third hammer on... or the walk up of minor third, major third, fifth, b seventh, root.

I think it's a nice mix of just what Nightprowler was talking about: minor pent, major pent and mixolydian!

4. lakehaus

lakehaus Strat-Talker

Fav Blues Song

My favorite blues song to play is "Snake Drive" by Eric Clapton, or it might be Jimmy Page (gets a little sloppy!)... when they were with John Mayall back in the 60's or 70's... If you haven't heard it, you really need to YouTube it.

5. endzone

endzone New Member!

I can't tell you....I'll have to show you, but then I'd have to kill you.:):p

6. bobmac

bobmac Strat-Talker

If by favorite you mean the riff I play most of all, virtually ever time I pick up a guit, then it would have to be the "Rock me baby" riff, also very similar to the "What I say" riff. Both are 12 bar, I always use both for warm up, either in G or A.

7. Mungstrocity

Mungstrocity New Member!

i always dig the I-I-IV-I-V-IV-I (i know i did that wrong) chord progression, fast or slow, it can be pulled off either way, tons of room for improvisation either in between chords or with the chords themselves. do it slow and you've got 'texas flood', do it fast and you've got 'johnny b good' and a million songs in between. i like to play simple and slow major licks over it then bust into some quick minor pentatonic runs so my guitar sounds like its having an argument with itself.

8. BlueDog

BlueDog Strat-Talker

I've been working on SRV's Tightrope. Not sure if its my favorite, but very distinctive. Another favorite is from Freddie King's Toredown.

9. epistrat

epistrat Strat-Talker

Outside Woman Blues by Cream, I learned that from Guitar Player mag.

10. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

This is one I often try when I pick up a new guitar.........can't play it as well as Ronnie but there is fun in trying!! I even had to buy a Fiesta Red strat to have the mojo......still don't sound like Ronnie!!

YouTube - Ronnie Earl - Blues Guitar with Soul DVD

11. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

I love playing bends and double stops too. I also like the intro to Cold Shot pretty good.

12. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

I learned it off the album when the album first came out. :D

13. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

alot of my "blues licks" come from listening to "Lightin'" Hopkins alot early on in my "formative" years of playing.

14. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

an old BB King lick off Live at the Regal... not quite sure which track it's off of though!

15. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Strat-O-Master

I like the turnaround lick in SRV's Close To You, using a Flat V - V hammer on then up to the minor 7th note followed by a hammer on/pull off from the 4th to the Flat V and back, then the minor 3rd e.g. in the key of A, Eb-E hammer on low down on the D string, then open G string, followed by open D hammering on to Eb, pull off again then the C on the A string before resting on the A root and finally an F9 slide down to E9 to turn it around.

16. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Strat-Talker

Any and everything from Hideaway. That tune is loaded full of classic riffs.