1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

What's your kind of neck?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by OttoG, Sep 6, 2016.

1. OttoG

OttoG Strat-O-Master

Ok...here's the deal. I just got informed I have a small gig at work, some sort of talent show so I was called up by a friend to join his band.

While practicing today at home, O was using a D shape I think (from my stock MIM) and well it went good.

Just for being curious, I picked up my black strat, which has a 50s RI neck I think it is a soft v (correct me if Im wrong) and I felt that my playing was a bit more articulated or so.

I have small hands and fingers you could say, so what is your kind of neck?

Guess Ill try to play that one more often, If so, Im starting to change necks on my Fenders lol...

2. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Was happy with my H1's neck till I got my 60s RI which I am growing very fond of now. I love the way the neck feels. When playing the Strat I tend to grab the neck making use of the thumb a lot, and that RI neck is just a lovely thing to grab hold off, I find.

3. Dr_R

Dr_R Strat-Talk Member

Narrow & thick.

alainvey likes this.
  4. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

It's such an individual thing IMO. You'll get as many different answers as there are responses.

I personally prefer medium type necks but the fretboard radius and fret size has just as much influence on how a neck feels. I can get along with most necks and I actually enjoy playing different guitars with different necks because it makes me play slightly differently. I don't have big hand or small hands and only really dislike the really thin types of necks you see on super strats like (but not limited to) Ibanez guitars.

Yves likes this.
  5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Skinny, thanks for asking.

I have medium sized hands but my fingers are thin and my fingertips are quite at home on narrow nut/skinny necks. I am fine on wider fingerboards but only when they are thin front to back. My touch is fairly light and I can function on most anything without having to change my technique but skinny is what I like.

D

6. Pete McC

Pete McC Senior Stratmaster

I have small hands so I like the profile of the 62RI, the more rounded fretboard feel more natural too

stratman323 likes this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

My ST54's thick, chunky soft V is my favourite. I have pretty small hands too.

8. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Thick but various shapes from V, C, U and D and also comfortable with V to C it starts at V and rounds up to C so to speak

But I like it to be at least 0.900 thick

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  9. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster

Fat soft vee, like the one on my baja tele...:D

alainvey and montemerrick like this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

So I'm talking to the guy in a local guitar shop, he says to me "If you don't like the neck we can reprofile it for you"

Me: "Cool, how do you put the wood back on?" ... :p

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Even though I have large hands (not overly large but I'm 6'3'' and wear large size gloves), I tend to like skinny necks. Not crazy skinny, but I really like American Standard necks, and the neck on my Classic Vibe, which tend to be skinny. I can get along with a lot of different shapes and sizes, but I don't like huge baseball bat type necks much.

C or U shapes are nice, but Shallow V shapes are OK, if there not hugely thick, but I guess my first preference is a C shape on thin side. I also prefer flatter than vintage radius, like 9.5 to 12 inches.

12. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I have small hands but prefer thicker necks up to a point.

orcslayer likes this.
  13. T Bone D

T Bone D Strat-Talk Member

First, you are correct that your fifties reissue should have a soft V shaped neck. There are other shapes of course depending on the model as mentioned above, D, C etc. The width will vary in thickness and profile somewhat depending on the model.

Fender also offers four different radius fretboards, the Vintage reissues have the original 7.25 (as if cut from a 14.5 inch circle). Current modern editions such as the American Standard feature a 9.5 radius fret board. Then there are Models with very Flat 12 inch radius fretboard (Standard radius for Gibson fretboards, I see we also have a current thread on these on Strats). These would include the Custom Shop designed Classic Player 60s Stratocasters (have 2 of these, absolutely love these guitars!), the Eric Johnson models, Kenny Wayne Shepherd Statocasters and more. Last, there are compound radius (such as on the American Deluxe Stratocaster), that start at the current standard 9.5 inch radius, and taper out to a flat 14 inch as you work your way up the neck.

I have some of each except the compound. Oddly, I prefer either the vintage 7.25 or the flat 12 inch over the standard 9.5, though not enough to prevent me owning and playing them all.

For me, same goes for the soft V, the C, D etc. Enjoy them all, and just like to switch it up from time to time. The feel of a different guitar can just be inspiring.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  14. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Gotta have me a "V"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OttoG and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  15. DIYrocker

DIYrocker Senior Stratmaster

I like thinner, satin-finished necks. Really love the profile on my Vox SDC, except for the gloss and the neck dive... :( If it wasn't for those two things that would be my sweetest guitar.

16. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

:thumb:

PS my Baja was chunky alright but not much of a "V", maybe a hint of a "V" the first 3 frets.

[​IMG]

They can vary a lot.

alainvey likes this.
  17. Phrasemaker

Phrasemaker Strat-Talker

I have somewhere around 30 Guitars, None are identical, my strats have at least four variations of neck, my tele's all different and so on. So my kind of neck is the one that's in my hand while I'm playing.

T Bone D likes this.
  18. ThinLizzy73

ThinLizzy73 Strat-Talker

I just bought a Baja Tele used and I'm going to have to return, sell or trade it. It's just too thick and I cannot get on with it. I have tried for the past 3 days. I have played nothing else, and I'm forcing myself to do this. I don't look forward to playing. To answer the question, I like the Fender modern C that is on my American Standard Stratocaster. I also like Gibson 60's slim taper necks.

johnnymg likes this.
  19. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

I wish you could explain the look in words you probably got from him. :p

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  20. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Different necks suit different guitars, you have to put it in your hand.