What's your next pickup purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Belltonenblues84, Jun 20, 2020.

1. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I just put a loaded pickguard from a Performer with Yosemite (alnico 2 & 4) pickups and Grease Bucket Circuitry, in my FSR Player. I then moved the Player pickups to my Special.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HazyPurple and hardwired like this.
  2. jim777

jim777 Strat-Talk Member

A few friends of mine have been really, REALLY talking up the Telecaster pickups from a place called Tone Hatch, on reverb. I've never heard of them, and they are crazy cheap, like, 30 bucks each or something. I checked their site, and they do sell Strat pickups as well.
    Like I said, I've never heard of these guys, has anyone here? It's probably worth my while trying them given the cost, but thought someone here must have heard of them. Anybody? :) I don't know if it's a one man shop, says "made in USA", all I have is the link.

https://www.tonehatch.com/listing/t...set-alnico-5-scatterwound-hand-wound/31748139

3. hardwired

hardwired Strat-Talker

I have to look into the Fender Tex Mex. How much is a set running?

Next is Seymour Pearly Gates humbuckers for one of Les Pauls. Maybe just for the bridge.

4. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I have an electric blue Strat Plus with a set of OE 666 Lace Golds and they are being replaced with a set of Duncan Classic Stacks

After this, I'm done buying single coils pickups

I'm still contemplating replacing the 57 Classic humbuckers in my CS-336. They're not the warmest things ever.

5. imnewhere

imnewhere Strat-Talker

Honestly ever since I got an Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger pedal I've been re-exploring pickups in guitars I already have rather than purchasing/replacing with new ones.

The 60 cycle hum of P90's especially, or other single coils, were pretty unbearable in my current apartment with its old electricity/wiring. Other places not so bad, but at home where I practice the most, especially during Covid, it has been very irritating.

I know some people online (the tone purists) have said that this pedal, and other pedals like it, somehow detract from the overall tone, but I think the tone is still great and the trade off in hum reduction actually makes for a net tonal improvement in my opinion.

Anyhow this isn't an ad for the pedal, but my my gibson les paul junior with P-90 or the partscaster I put together with 70s dimarzio super distortions are now actually getting some playtime, because it no longer sounds like an unholy microwave is running at impossibly high decibels whenever I plug them in.

jim777 likes this.
  6. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I had 2 guitars with Texas Specials and was looking for something similar. People seemed to like them more, than the Tex-Mex. Stratosphere had the Tex-Mex loaded pickguards for $139, Texas Special's for $199 and Yosemite's for $149. I like the Grease Bucket Circuitry of the Texas Specials used in the American Specials and Performers. The American Performer's switched to the Yosemite's, that are selling for $50 less than the Texas Special's.

It's easy to find the Yosemite's (Performers) in stores, and sometimes you can still find the Specials. This way, you can try them before buying. I like the adjustability that the Grease Bucket wiring gives you, from the guitar. I use it in my live performance guitars, that are MIM models. I then moved the Mexican guard to a guitar that I would use at home or studio. I found it much quicker and easier to switch the loaded guards, if I decide to sell or trade a guitar. You will usually get more money for an original guitar.

7. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

i used to think the pickups in my tele were dung but i had a bad power tube in my amp that made them sound bad so i am not in the "next pickup" camp.

but if i was gonna get one i would try a custom bodean or a dimarzio twang king.

8. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Those look reasonable. I’ve never heard of them but from what I can see, they’re using all the right bits. $100 for a decent set of pickups is reasonable.

If you’ve got a winder with a counter, making single coil pickups isn’t a huge ordeal. There are lots winders who take advantage of the “mystique” of “boutique” pickups (or brand awareness) but many others just charge a reasonable price for a good set.

Bladesg likes this.
  9. NewStratLover

NewStratLover Strat-Talk Member

I'm considering the Duncan custom 5 humbucker. I hear it's like the Dimarzio SD but maybe a littpe better. I tend to use humbuckers exclusively because they buck the noise, but I like a single coil clean loud pickup in the neck. I may go with a noiseless single coil for the neck or an EMG SA and stick an EMG HUMBUCKER in the bridge. Probably an 85. I like actives for their sustain, harmonics and clarity..

10. Fenderguy710

Fenderguy710 Strat-Talk Member

I have Custom Shop Fat 50s in my Strat that I absolutely love. Much more than the 69s, 57/62s, Texas Specials, or Tex Mex pickups that I have owned.

I just picked up a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard and changed the pots and capacitors. I'm either going with Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90s (it's a P90 that's a humbucker size) or House of Tone PAFs, a company out of England. IMG_20200614_161454_399.jpg

HazyPurple likes this.
  11. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I’ve got Phat Cats in my Ibanez semi hollow body. They’re the 4th set of pickups I’ve had in that guitar over the last 39 years and they aren’t going anywhere. They’re perfect.

Fenderguy710 and JB74 like this.
  12. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

When I get round to it, I'm going to order some Archimedes Alnico 22/7 's.

13. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

New Orleans born, now 40 miles west of Sacramento

14. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Strat-O-Master Silver Member

My next pickup purchase will be a drink for that blonde looking lonely at the bar... :)

tinkertoy likes this.
  15. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

I just bought a set OF RON ELLIS PICKUPS yes baby!!!! Get this???? No 5 month wait coming in a few days....i think my pickup buying days is finally complete.

16. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

Thanks!

I noticed the site was down when I went to find a URL for the post.

Back on topic: I really didn't have plans for any new pickups, but a Gretsch G5222 appeared a few weeks ago. It's the cheap one that looks like the one that Malcolm Young played. It comes with "BroadTrons," which don't really sound much like the single pickup on the guitar that Malcolm Young played. I'm not in love with them.

I'm not so much chasing the look or the sound of Mal's guitar (I have a Variax preset figured out for that), but I'm probably going to put a TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge and a Classic in the neck position. That'll make it more...uh..."Gretschy" and different enough to be interesting.

Belltonenblues84 likes this.
  17. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Looks good. I've got a covered humbucker in one of my strats. I like the look.

Bladesg likes this.
  18. joe_cpwe

I need to get a recording together for evidence, but the Guitar Madness Alnico 2 humbuckers that replaced Duncan Designed in my import Hamer are real nice sounding, and were only $20 each.

Ebidis likes this.
  19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I love the Duncan Alnico II's. I also like the '59s, and I think the Jazz may be my favorite neck humbucker.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  20. joe_cpwe

Sorry for the muzImuz up I went back and edited. They are Guitar Madness A2 pickups, about $20 each.
    I do use a Duncan - Custom Custom bridge in two other guitars which is Alnico 2. Love the tone if that one.

Ebidis likes this.