Whatw ere your first effects?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by rocks, Jan 2, 2009.

1. the dark sailor

the dark sailor Senior Stratmaster

digitech 2120 w/foot control (junk,to much time needed setting it up, sold it a while ago)
    PEDALS:
    EH big muff
    EH big muff II
    EH electric mistress
    EH holy grail reverb
    EH deluxe memory man
    ibanez ts7
    ibanez cf7
    ibanez ps7
    ibanez de7
    dod envelope filter
    ds-1
    berringer acoustic simulator
    ernie ball volume pedal
    alot of pedals but i still love that natural vintage Fender twin,deluxe,vibrolux sound!

2. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Thats quite a list of first pedals, I was happy to be able to get one pedal when I first started.

3. DimesProdigy

DimesProdigy Strat-Talker

My first pedals were a Digitech metal distortion and also a digitech phaser. I use the distortion pedal a lot but not the phaser, every once in a while I will bust it out though. Great thing is I got both of these pedals for free.

4. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

the first pedal i got was a chorus pedal so i could play "Come As You Are". ha ha. it was the crappy plastic Ibanez Soundtank pedal.

5. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Its interesting how you can guess when someone started playing guitar by the type of first pedal they got. Some of us started with original big muffs and small stone phase shifters when there were only a few companies even making effects pedals. The choices were pretty slim back then compared to now, but a lot of people still love the vintage pedals, I know I do.

6. Strat-Talk

Strat-Talk Administrator Staff Member

Admin Post
    My first -- remember I turn 59 this week -- was a Gibson Maestro FZ-1 Fuzz Tone. It was one of the very first Fuzz boxes available. And they sold it by telling you that it made your guitar sound like a brass instrument (a trumpet or trombone!).

The output cord was built in. So, you plugged your one guitar cord (no one had more than one) into the input and then used the output cord built into the unit. These cords were very noisy. Microphonic really. When the cord hit the cord hit the floor you could hear it.

The fuzz was very weak, tinny and buzzy. But lots of people still buy these used for big bucks. And, they reissued it once or twice.

I think I got mine in 1966. I bought a "vintage" FZ-1 with orange box and all in 2000 out of nostalgia but after hearing it I came to my senses and sold it for $400.

Attached Files:

7. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Heck, most people I knew didn't have more than one pick! I remember a few times we were "jamming" in the very early days and someone would forget a pick and no one would have a spare.

8. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

I guess that my first effects are from 1966, too. actually they came with the amp. the amp is (I still have it) a Gibson GA-15 RVT. it came with Tremolo and one very strong Reverb. I've seen peddles for these two effects nowadays. so, I guess you call them effects. I have a few more things now, but these were my first effects.

9. DETRKNRLR

DETRKNRLR Strat-Talker

A Bigmuff and a Crybaby.

10. anfontan

anfontan Strat-O-Master

Hey, that was my first effect too, I bought the LPB-1 and a Maestro Wah pedal at a musician's yard sale back in the mid 70's. I plugged my Ibanez Les Paul copy with the LPB-1 into an old Bandmaster that my friend had and it gave it a nice wicked overdrive. And I also have the later pedal version that is footswitchable-it really needs a LED light to tell if it's on or off though...

11. StratoBrew

StratoBrew Strat-O-Master

Let's see, I've gotta think back over 20 years here, but I'm pretty sure my first effects were from Arion and Rocktek. I had an Arion delay and Rocktek flanger and chorus pedals. I got a Dunlop Crybaby and a Rat shortly thereafter. I also had a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face.

I wish I still had the Rat and Fuzz Face. The Crybaby would be nice, too, since I think they were still hand-wired in the '80's. Arion stompboxes were made in Japan and really good quality for the money.

12. adaptable

adaptable Strat-Talker

A DOD Flanger in the early 80s.

13. nvosmeier

nvosmeier Strat-Talker

74 Big Muff Pi
    74 Cry Baby
    70s Fender Blender
    70s Maestro Echo Plex

14. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat

Wow! reading thru all the posts was like a walk down memory lane. I could not remember the name of the distortion pedal I had. Then it hit me as I was reading. Ross, I must admitt I wanted the mxr pedal. But, a Christmas gift from the folks in the 70's was it.

15. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

When I first started playing I used to borrow a couple of pedals from my friend - an MXR distortion and Phase 90. He assured me these were amazing pedals used by the greatest, but I at the time I was wowed by the adverts and look of Boss pedals, and didn't appreciate them. Also shortly after that I borrowed a friends vintage Big Muff Deluxe (with a built in compressor) - that was a lot of fun too. The first few pedals I actually bought were a Boss Flanger, a Guyatone Overdrive (kind of nice sound but it made the guitar quieter when you turned it on) and a Boss CS-2 compressor - a pedal I never found a use for.

16. timegoesback

timegoesback Strat-Talker

EHX Big Muff, I 'broked' it though ;(

Will get another one after I get a new neck...and amp

17. GoranS

GoranS Strat-Talker

I sure remember my first pedal. I was 13 years old and went to the music store looking for a pedal, so it must have been in 1970. I knew I wanted one but didn't know which, just that I wanted a "Pedal" and had a very limited amount of money. In those days gear was both expensive and crappy. The good gear was out of reach.

I purchased a used Fuzz Face. It was grey... Returned it the day after because my amp "already sounded that way". It was some transistor stuff, not really a guitar amp.

Instead I got a Marshall "Supa-Wah" that I used for some years and then packed away. It had serial #009. Found it again a couple of years ago and decided to sell it. Sold it to a vintage store in Stockholm and got good money for it, about 1800 SEK (about $210 USD) which is about 25 times more than I gave in 1970, if you do not count the loss in money value..

This is actually it, photographed in my backyard:
    [​IMG]

It was turned the wrong way. The input jack was to the left...

18. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Stratosaurus Magnificus Platinum Supporting Member

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah 1974

19. intoflatlines

intoflatlines Strat-Talker

My first pedal was a Boss MT-2. Then I got a DigiTech RP-50. I stopped using the MT-2 after a couple years and used the RP-50 exclusively for awhile. I loved the built in tuner and all the effects in a tiny pedal. I then built a modded TS808 clone (BYOC Overdrive 2) and an EHX Big Muff clone (BYOC Large Beaver Ram's Head spec). I just bought an EHX Holy Grail and I'm in the market for a decent compression pedal.

20. Lowdown

Lowdown Strat-Talker

Ha ha!
    Yeah I remember those daze very much so,rocks.
    We used to use those plastic bread wrap things,cut out pieces of plastic from anything,you name it! Improvisation mate.
    I also remember the multi-channel amp we'd(2 x guitar,2 x bass,2 x vox)play through.It was a kit deal,body was cardboard(!)jacks/pots would get pulled out,pushed in.Oh man,those were the daze alright. Spelling mistake intended.
    :D:D:D