Join Strat-Talk Today

When a Strat Goes On a Diet (custom content)

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Believer7713, Oct 10, 2019.

1. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice work so far and nice of you to take on the project.

Believer7713 likes this.
  2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Groovey likes this.
  3. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

When I read the title, I thought you were going to go over the edge and get rid of all that extra wood. :eek: My mind does go places. Besides the reshaping of the belly cut, any place else? I had not seen the 6 gang drill guide. Thanks. I wonder what little special thing you have in mind so I will be watching as the story unfolds.

Groovey likes this.
  4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

@Believer7713 that extra sculpting, especially can we see a view of the belly cut. For me it's actually a ribcut. I wear my guitar somewhat high. But that extra removal of wood it just might fit a fat guy like me. I'm somewhere between Hoss Cartwright and The Skipper from Gilligans Island kind of fat. If you could make a more sculpted back, you might have a cottage industry selling strats that are molded to our fat bellies. Seriously, it looks really comfortable.

Groovey likes this.
  5. Believer7713

As far as the body, there really wont be much more removal but will be a lot more smoothing out by moving into higher grit sandpaper. I will will be going as high as either 600 or 800 grit before primer goes on. The neck does have the sharp contours on tge back of tge headstock and heel transition so I will be trimming those as well as slightly reprofiling the back of the neck to a very soft V.
    I took a couple mor pics for you. I like to make the transitions really smooth and round which makes it hard to capture in a pic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but I think it's a little more visible here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last couple pics make it look like the curve around the top of the forearm relief is a sharp angle to the bottom but this one shows a gentle curve all the way through.
    [​IMG]
    One more thing, after sanding this body I found some really cool spalting in the wood...shame to cover it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bowmap likes this.
  6. 3bolt79

Seriously, that would fit my fat belly perfect. That's gonna be awesome when you are done with it!

Believer7713 likes this.
  7. 3bolt79

I'm so fat that when I go swimming I leave a ring around the pool (rim shot) lol.

Bodean and Groovey like this.
  8. Believer7713

Ok, so yesterday I was too tired to do anything after getting only one hour of sleep before work. Today when I got home I spent a couple hours smoothing it out all the way to 800 grit. When doing paint work its all about the prep work before the next stage. Sooo...It's now about as smooth as a babies, well you get the point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tomorrow, while at the shop I'll start the primer stages.

3bolt79 and Bowmap like this.
  9. Neve

Neve Strat-Talker

May I suggest that while you’re at it, you smooth out the contours to more 50’s or 60’s specs...

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. Believer7713

I thought about it but decided to go with the contours that I did use to make it a more custom just for him. The big deal with the way I contoured this one is that there is no flat or sharp edges. Every contour is soft so when its painted it will be very subtle yet comfortable. I really wanted to give this one curves and not amgles...even more so than the 50's bodies. The forearm relief is also now deeper and more rounded than the 50's contours. To sit it on your leg and hold it like you were playing it right now it really naturally wraps around you and you don't really feel any part of it against you.
    The one thing I forgot to do was weigh the body before I started but right now it weighs right at 4 pounds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Neve and Bowmap like this.
  11. Bowmap

Ya need to put all that wood and paint back. Enquiring minds want to know. :sneaky:

ryapou, 3bolt79 and Believer7713 like this.
  12. Believer7713

Started with the first coat of primer today. One more coat to get the coverage that I want before starting the wet sanding to make it perfect for the color paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    3bolt79, Bodean, Bowmap and 2 others like this.
  13. Batstrat

Batstrat Strat-Talk Member

Oh man that looks good!

Believer7713 likes this.
  14. Believer7713

I also stopped by GC a couple miles from the house and picked up the new cream plastics today.
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday I ordered a new set of custom overwound A5/A2 pickups from @Bodean. I also ordered a new set of CTS A250K pots and an Oak-Grigsby 5 way. I will be reusing the parchment 8 hole pickguard that I bought to use before this guitar became this project.
    Right now I am trying to decide weather to go with the gold on tge left or the one on the right.
    [​IMG]

3bolt79 and Bodean like this.
  15. Bowmap

Right. Looks less like metal flake.

Did you spray the primer out of a can? It went down really well. Looks almost flawless.

3bolt79 and Believer7713 like this.
  16. Believer7713

I did spray it with a can. Duplicolor's filler primer does lay out really well. It sands well and you can get a perfect substrate with it.

3bolt79, Bodean and Bowmap like this.
  17. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Senior Stratmaster

Looks fantastic so far. And the contours do look super smooth. Very interested to see the final product!

18. Batstrat

Batstrat Strat-Talk Member

I want one !!!!!:(

19. Believer7713

OK, now that we appear to be back on we return you to our regular programming. After getting the primer on I found a couple places where I gouged the body while stripping it. Though the spots were small and almost unnoticeable being inside the bottom horn cutaway, they were there. So I sanded it back to wood in that area using a block to keep the plane smooth at the gouges which leveled it and I reprimed it.
    [​IMG]
    I also found a nick in the end of the bottom horn that got sanded and reprimed.
    [​IMG]
    In the process I also sanded the entire body to smooth with 340 grit sandpaper then shot another layer of primer on the whole thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Believer7713

After another night of primer and filling, I smoothed it a little more and started working on the personal aspect. Since this axe will be given to his son and he was promoted to Sergeant the same year his son was born he wanted to commemorate the two events in a special way.
    Also since I am now pretty much known for inlaying and carving guitar bodies he asked me to take this one there too.
    So starting with the outline...
    [​IMG]
    I got the precision router out and started removing material a little at a time
    [​IMG]
    Until I got it just right for a perfect fit.
    [​IMG]
    He wanted to use his first Sergeant's badge to commemorate the birth uear of his son.
    [​IMG]
    So to make it fit I cut the pin off of it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then set it in place to test the fit.
    [​IMG]
    And a partial mockup.
    [​IMG]

3bolt79, CB91710, johnnymg and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.