When did Fender use the 7.25" fretboard radius?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by itzed, Jul 27, 2013.

1. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

I started a thread on that over on the vintage forum, didn't get a lot of modded guitars showing up. Probably people threw a new pickguard on and pretended there isn't a route underneath. :)

In the 70s, they weren't, but by 1980, I was getting offers of $1000 for my 60, and that is a couple grand in todays money. anything pre CBS was going to be going up in value after the late 70s. I know people who did mods in the 60s and 70s. A friend of mine, I used to play with had a tele, don't know if it was pre CBS but It couldn't have been newer than very early 70s, he put a couple of PAFs in it. Now, what is THAT worth? ;)

2. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

That is highly debated, especially over on the tele forum. When they started measuring those blackguard necks, they found them all over the place. A LOT of 9.5. Some claimed that was because the necks had been planed on refrets but some of these were never refretted. There was a lot of talk about there being more than one gauge, maybe some were cut slightly differently (they were probably cut by hand), plus the necks were hand sanded.

I got the Musikraft 0514 neck on my tele, it is one of the best necks I have every played. They measured it at 9.5. The long time owner of that guitar commented on the tele forum that it has been refretted but the neck never planed/refinished. The fretboard finish was obviously worn, from his comments, so he would have noticed if it came back planed/refinished. He sold it to the guy who wrote the blackguard book and measured it. So, that is pretty good evidence it left the factory like that.

I am sure as they went along, they got more standardized, as they moved from being a shop to a factory. Exactly what the process was, how it changed, I have never seen anything on.
    Maybe Ron or one of the guys who builds them, may know more of the history there.

3. OldtimeR&R

OldtimeR&R Strat-O-Master

It means that if he's looking for a 7.25 neck a Knopfler neck is one.....

4. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Senior Stratmaster

Understood

5. activeigroup

activeigroup Strat-Talk Member

To my knowledge, during the time Leo and Forrest were still at Fender, they only offered 7.25 radius necks for Strats and Tellys. The first flatter radius products I ever saw were Japanese Telecasters. As of 1985 I had never seen an American Stratocaster or Telecaster (with anything but a 7.25 radius). Fast forward to 1988 when I ordered a Custom Sunburst Stratocaster Plus, with a Swamp Ash Body, a 9 1/2" radius, a maple board, and Gold, Silver, and Red Laces (from the original Custom Shop).

6. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

The 7.25 is the original Fender Radius.
    9.5 is a perfect balance between 7.25 and 12.0

7. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Old thread revived but anyway for the sake of accuracy. The first strat that wasn't offically 7.5" was the 1983 Standard VII at 12"

8. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Sorry just to be complete the Elite produced at the same time also had 12" radius