When did trucks get so damned expensive?

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 13, 2014
Florida
A couple of months ago it was all over the news: Ford had released its first $100K pickup. A snippet:

All of the Super Duty Limiteds come loaded with a long list of standard features that includes a 360-degree camera system, adaptive cruise control, panoramic moon roof, unique two-tone Camelback leather upholstery, a microfiber suede headliner and a 6.7-liter V8 diesel engine. Who buys such a beast?

"[A] typical target customer is someone who tows a $250,000 horse trailer with million-dollar horses on board, or a six-figure boat, and is looking for a truck to match."

Yes, ridiculous. But , IMO, so is a Cadillac pickup or, in most cases, a Hummer driven on the street.

Boris Bubbanov

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 3, 2007
in New Orleans' past
When they became 'lifestyle' toys instead of utility tools?
i mean no disrespect here, i'm just sayin'.

I do mean some disrespect, to those who are bidding up the prices on these for frivolous use.

They are helping keep GM and Ford in the black, but this is a weird way to do it.

Woe betide the guy who expects me to slap him on the back when he drops $ 55,000 on a truck, while living in a trailer. Some people I know have to live in trailers, and I get that. Especially guys building pipelines, etc. But people need to get their living arrangements on the right track before they get behind the 8 ball with some massive truck note. Then, when they know the bank is gonna take the truck back, they tear it to pieces. Shame on them.

CalicoSkies

Platinum Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
When they started to cater to outside the blue collar worker market ......

Exacamundo. A pickup truck used to be a tool, now they are as much a "status symbol" as a status symbol.
Yeah, I tend to agree, trucks seem to not just be tools anymore. People in the US have been buying large vehicles (SUVs, trucks, etc.) for years, and I think a common reason is that they feel safer in a large vehicle. Perhaps some truck buyers actually still need to haul stuff. I've visited some other countries outside the US, and it seems to me large vehicles are less common in other countries. I've heard fuel prices tend to be more expensive outside the US, which has driven demand for smaller fuel-efficient vehicles in those countries.

A few years ago I bought a Nissan Frontier with a 4cyl and a standard transmission and manual everything. It came inunder 20k very nicely.
Sometimes I miss driving with a manual transmission. A while ago I thought about possibly renting a car with a manual transmission for a day or so just for the fun of it, but it seems all the rental companies around here only carry automatics now.. o_O

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
Yeah, I tend to agree, trucks seem to not just be tools anymore. People in the US have been buying large vehicles (SUVs, trucks, etc.) for years, and I think a common reason is that they feel safer in a large vehicle. Perhaps some truck buyers actually still need to haul stuff. I've visited some other countries outside the US, and it seems to me large vehicles are less common in other countries. I've heard fuel prices tend to be more expensive outside the US, which has driven demand for smaller fuel-efficient vehicles in those countries.

Sometimes I miss driving with a manual transmission. A while ago I thought about possibly renting a car with a manual transmission for a day or so just for the fun of it, but it seems all the rental companies around here only carry automatics now.. o_O

That has been the case for a long while. For whatever reason, I till prefer to row row row my boat.

Raiders757

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 2, 2016
Virginia
This thread makes me miss my truck. I gave it to my nephew when he got out of the Navy and needed some wheels for his soon to be wife and stepchild. It was a nice Ford XLT Lariat 4x4. All be it a really nice truck, I used it as,well, a truck. Now I'm stuck trying to haul gear and goods in the back of a Scion Tc. My trips to Lowe's just aren't the same.

One thing I don't miss was the gas mileage. 14mpg on a good day.

CalicoSkies

Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
One thing I don't miss was the gas mileage. 14mpg on a good day.
That's the main reason I tend to like smaller cars rather than a bigger vehicle. I also tend to think smaller cars are easier to maneuver and are more responsive. I'm not really sure how so many people can afford to buy larger vehicles, at their prices these days, and also pay more for all the gas they require compared to a smaller car.

A few years ago, we traveled to visit some relatives and rented a GMC SUV. It had a 4-cylinder engine, which was really lacking in power for its size, but at least it got fairly good fuel economy..

aiabx

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Nov 27, 2013
Toronto
and I think a common reason is that they feel safer in a large vehicle.

The problem with buying a large vehicle for safety is that your safety comes at the cost of increased danger for other people. You might win the accident, but someone in a smaller vehicle is going to lose.

CalicoSkies

Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
The problem with buying a large vehicle for safety is that your safety comes at the cost of increased danger for other people. You might win the accident, but someone in a smaller vehicle is going to lose.
I've had the same thought. In this world though, it seems many people just think about themselves.

Buzzin_Cousin

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 10, 2012
CA
Funny I remember in the 90's I would catch hell if my truck was even washed and clean. Forgot new and nice.

Times sure have changed.