When do you know you're a decent/good player?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by FFGreen, May 21, 2020.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

"Good rhythm players get gigs".

Howard Roberts.

I'll trade fours with anyone. I mean anyone. I might learn something...they might learn something. :D

Ebidis, davidKOS, JB74 and 3 others like this.
  2. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I think that quote is usually attributed to a bass player. Tommy played all over the neck.

davidKOS, fezz parka and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I might be able to do that in a rock/blues context, but any other style would be out of my league.

You are probably right, that was a low level of confidence quote of a quote :)

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

and this is the trouble with definitions of good - by any typically applied standard Malmsteen is a much better player than JR, but JR's playing has had a much more significant effect on both music generally and popular culture.

I think my perspective on being good really comes down to is your musical expression limited by your skills. We can all be better technical players, know more theory, or be able to play well in multiple genres, etc but do you need to do that to bring your music to life. So good for me is a symbiotic relationship between how you play and what you want to achieve.

Tippy, duzie, RaySachs and 3 others like this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

In the Classical Guitar world, it’s “There’s no money past the twelfth fret.”

6. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I think in the classical guitar world it's "There's no money."

7. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

When you can listen to yourself....even if only at times and you feel like you're listen to someone who inspired you or you think it great. When its almost like your not listening to yourself and you get 'that' feeling.

mjea80, BallisticSquid and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. 3bolt79

Ain’t that the truth:D

9. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

Tommy was great. But he was the session players version of Billy Gibbons. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. ;)

10. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-O-Master

God like !

dirocyn and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

If I claim to be a wise man,
    it surely means that I don’t know...

It’s the same with playing a musical instrument.

12. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

I think I agree with this guy, with exception of reading music, but he left that as an optional criteria.

Stratimimus, 3bolt79 and Nadnitram like this.
  13. guitarchaeologist

Great point. Last year I was on a ship with a doctor playing cowboy chords, but he knew a ton of songs and entertained the crew with sing-alongs.
    I am a much better guitar player than he, but my repertoire is more limited and more focused in style.

14. STRATA

STRATA Strat-Talker

When you are 'Confident' within yourself, your own musical ability,and knowing you can 'musically Contribute'....regardless....=You can play!

Tippy, Nadnitram and Cerb like this.
  15. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-O-Master

You'll know you are making progress when you no longer think you are a God and you realise how much you don't know and can't play.

Tippy, Ebidis and 3bolt79 like this.
  16. CigBurn

CigBurn You should see the other guy. Strat-Talk Supporter

When the listeners stop doing this

200.gif

17. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I don’t know, man. I easily meet all of his criteria except for one - I can play the major pentatonic and minor pentatonic all over the neck in any key, not well, but I know where everything is and I can let it flow pretty naturally without having to think about it much. BUT in terms of the full or I think he called it “natural” major scale or minor scale, I’m aware of where the additional notes are to fill those out, but I’ve never worked at incorporating them into my lead playing. My musical goals have always been limited enough that the two pentatonic scales have been enough and I’ve just never moved past them.

In a way I’d call myself intermediate just because I’ve been at it with some on and a lot of off since 1977, and that’s just too damn long to call myself a beginner. But as I’ve said, my limits in skill and knowledge are pretty extreme and I’m only not terrible within those limits. I think beginner, intermediate, advanced are kind of useless terms - some folks are just musical and can get real music out of three notes played with emotion and a sense of purpose. Others can play a million notes a minute but they’ll never be more than an impressive technician. I think you’re ability to sing tells you a lot about how musical you are. I can’t sing worth spit. That’s a massive musical limitation,

I think. I have a pretty good intuitive sense of rhythm, always have had. I never really had to learn to strum, that part always came easy to me and felt natural from day one. I don’t play fast or fancy (at all), but I can play around the beat and jump ahead and fall behind to some effect, but I can always seem to land on the one, no matter where I roam between em. But that’s the only thing that ever came easily to me with music. Everything else has just come from loving it enough to keep playing enough to get good enough to endlessly keep myself entertained. That’s just gonna have to do. And it does... That was really my only goal with any of this and I’ve met that one.

-Ray

Nadnitram and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. 3bolt79

I think I am intermediate, although I know a lot more than the guy in the video’s narrow requirement. I must admit that my electric guitar skills are much more abundant than my Classical Skills, but I studied Classical Guitar exclusively for 5 years.

I just missed my electric way too much. And am primarily playing electric guitar now. I’m still playing classical though, at least my own nylon string pieces that I wrote. I only made it to playing 6th grade pieces in CG. Then I hit the wall, and had had enough. I have a 4.5K classical, my only one. And a 6.5K, and a 2.5K electrics, and the rest of my electric guitars are in 4 hundred to 1.2K Range with most of them being around 500 dollars.

I am definitely an intermediate Classical Guitarist. I can’t tremolo to save my life. In Asturias, I play like the piano score. But everything else I can pretty much do.

Tippy, jtoomuch, Nadnitram and 3 others like this.
  19. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

There was a time (many years ago) when I started making money playing guitar, and singing. At that point I stopped wondering if I was good enough, and started taking bookings.

P.S. I still don't know if I'm good enough.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Nadnitram, davidKOS and 3bolt79 like this.
  20. guitarchaeologist

Good points. I agree. I think you've actually made a choice to mostly stick to pentatonics (as have I), at least as I read it, and IMO, that choice makes a difference.
    As an archaeologist, we love to classify things into categories or groups. For me, three categories (beginner, intermediate, advanced) aren't nearly enough.

Nadnitram, 3bolt79 and RaySachs like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.