When do you know you're a decent/good player?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by FFGreen, May 21, 2020.

1. davidKOS

davidKOS still at home Strat-Talk Supporter

I heard this in the Bluegrass mandolin world as “There’s no money past the7th fret.”

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/30097-Your-pinky

"But we all know there's no money past the 7th fret."

And another option:

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forums/topic/1258040-21-frets-fail-seriously-how-do-you-do-it/

"There's no money past the 7th fret" Keith Richards

I'm pretty sure it came from the Bluegrass/country world first, though.

Strathansen, 3bolt79 and StratMike10 like this.
  2. Strathansen

Strathansen Strat-Talk Member

lolmate that's funny, my wife encourages me but sometimes i know when she's had enough.

Willmunny and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Strathansen

Strathansen Strat-Talk Member

This guy is real good and he has some good tips. I only know are few chords, but hey I try. What do they say.....shoot for the moon and if you miss you'll only hit a few stars.

Nadnitram and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. STRATA

STRATA Strat-Talker

I think when the bass & drummer don't casually remark to themselves ...Are we still going to that audition?!!!

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Played 20 songs in my basement yesterday. My wife was working on some crafts in the same room.
    She said "That sounds good" after one of the songs. Guess I learned that one well enough to play out now.

3bolt79 and Tippy like this.
  6. jungle faced jake

jungle faced jake Strat-Talker

There are no "good guitar players", only people being considered as such.
    It's all a matter of opinion.

7. davidKOS

Well, if you like the music is then the opinion is subjective and cannot be argued with.

However, even if you don't like the music, players like Segovia, Montoya, Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, etc. were "good guitar players" and that they play very well is NOT a matter of opinion.

Any person may not like those players and their music as much as some of the rock players and their music - that's the subjective opinion part.

But by any objective standards, though, there are indeed "good guitar players".

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

I think this is a very important stepping stone in anyone's development. When you can create variations on a theme, and you make the leap from copying others, to making it your own, then you are developing your own personal style.

I think that is much more important than just technical prowess.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  9. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Point well taken for sure, but I think there are degrees. Segovia, Montoya, Emmanuel, Atkins, Hendrix, Van Halen, Metheny, etc are basically masters. They're not good, they're not great, they're simply the best there is. They sort of define the instrument. They're so undeniably amazing that nobody even really argues about whether they're good, just whether they're to your taste or not.

But I think there's a much bigger gray area around "good". Because as the guy in the video defines "intermediate", I think there are bucketloads of us who meet his fairly objective criteria. Lots and lots. But lets say there are 100 folks on this forum who may be at a similar level of "good" in terms of knowledge of the fretboard, ability to get around on instrument, knowing various techniques, being smooth and almost unconscious at most chord changes and lead playing. Of those 100, there might be 2 or 3 who play musically enough and imaginative enough that almost any of us would really enjoy listening to them. And there might be another 15 or 20 that some of us might enjoy listening to and others wouldn't just based on their taste and what sort of thing they played. And probably at least 75-80 of us who nobody would really want to spend any time listening to unless it was a good friend or family member who was mostly listening because of their connection to you. But if those of us in that category came on the radio, probably most people would change the station.

I certainly meet the video's objective definition of "intermediate". I have entertained fairly good sized groups of people with my playing when I was part of a band where I was strictly a role player. Playing on my own, I enjoy myself immensely, I've sort of mildly impressed a few friends and family members who don't play an instrument themselves. Nobody but me, though, wants to hear me for more than a few minutes every once in a great while. So I'd argue that I'm good enough to entertain myself, and maybe a small group of people who WANT to like what I do on rare occasions, and that's about the extent of it. And that's fine, but there are probably other people who I may objectively be as "good" as who would draw an audience because they're just more musical and entertaining or accessible or whatever with their similar objective level of "good". And, in my book that makes them better, even though it's a fully subjective rating. And, hey, there might even be 10-15 of those hundred people who would look up to me as being "better" if what I play happens to connect with their preference / taste... But at this level, it's basically subjective...

Just as an example, Neil Young did one of his fireside concert things on the interwebs a few weeks ago and he was just playing Sugar Mountain for about 10 minutes. He was playing that songs 3-4 cowboy chords and wasn't doing anything that I'm not able to do just as well, in any objective sense (other than the harp playing and singing). But even something that simple and easy, that you wouldn't have to be anywhere close to "intermediate" to pull off, he does about a thousand times more musically than I'd do it. Than I have done it. I still play that song occasionally, because it's such a pretty little meditation of youth and coming of age. Same chords, same easy tempo, I can play them all, but he will still sound eons better just because of all of the musical intangibles he brings to it...

-Ray

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    davidKOS likes this.
  10. davidKOS

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

My gigging experience leads to think most people don't really know what they like, they more or less like what they know.

Thus if I play a killer but not well known guitar piece they may or may not appreciate it - but if I play a simple song they know and like, the audience is much happier...and their opinion of my playing goes up too, not necessarily dependant on the level of difficulty.

11. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-Talker

FWIW, how about when the sound guy comes up after your set and tells you how awesome you were? That may sound odd, but man I’ve mixed a million bands and after awhile it’s hard to be impressed. There’s a lot of really good players (and noobies) but it’s really rare that there’s a guy who makes me really pay attention with his or her playing. I think that player should deserve some praise whether they’re a guitar player or whatever. I always compliment a player if they’re great because I think they deserve to know someone actually paid real attention.

about a year ago, I was doing sound for a local blues fest. Band number whatever came up. They looked like they were going to SUCK. I really was not looking forward to these guys. They blew my socks off! The guitar player looked like a hillbilly. He was one of the best players I’ve seen in ages. Played with finesse and tons of soul. After the set I gave that guy lavish praise as well any other guys on stage. They deserved it. I think they appreciated it. I’ve never been a Stones fan but they played a Stones song and it sounded so good I’ve been getting into the Stones since that day forward.

Now I know it’s just me, but when I see an electric guitar player walk on stage and just plug in with no pedal board, I know that guy is going to suck or he’s going to be bad-ass. And it’s always affected me. I’ve always felt like I don’t deserve a pedal board unless I can actually plug into an amp and start playing without a crutch. So I only use a comp for sustain and everyday strive to be that guy who doesn’t need a crutch no matter how cool the delay sounds.

Me myself, I will always feel like a total hack but it just feels so good to finally have the tone I’ve been wanting for decades after finding that right amp and guitar. Mostly the new amp.

Tippy and davidKOS like this.
  12. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Me too, really took me down a peg to realise I was only intermediate!

Nadnitram likes this.
  13. Wrighty

Not actually true, the average number of elbows per person is less than two................

14. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Everyone I know has two.

fezz parka and Deafsoundguy like this.
  15. Wrighty

Me too....................'sub-beginner'!

16. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I'll let you know if that ever happens.

Sarnodude likes this.
  17. Willmunny

Willmunny Strat-Talker

I do spend alot of time practicing with headphones on or possibly unplugged if I am in the living room. My wife appreciates this some times more than others. I do get a good "amp " practice every morning. About once a month she will tell me that sounds good.
    With about the same frequency she will head to
    her room with her phone. Other than that she knows how much I love to play and really gives me the support you would expect from a loved one.
    FWIW I probably meet 3/4 of the "criteria "to be considered intermediate by that person. My strum game, especially up strums need work.

18. Wrighty

Not everyone I know has. No one I know has three.

Ebidis likes this.
  19. Wrighty

But is that always true? The number of times I've hung my guitar on the wall and gone to bed happy with my new solo, lick or whatever, only to fumble around like a first time player the next evening! I just guess we all look to go up the slope but not in linear steps.

20. Wrighty

Satchmo?

Nate D likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.