When does a Stratocaster become a Partscaster?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bigreen505, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Of course they are. We happen to have a famous football player (soccer to you Yankee hethens) who lives around here. Zlatan is his name. He found a house here a few years ago and liked what he saw. He walked up to the door (he probably sent someone that did the walking and talking for him), knocked on said door, and upon facing the owners said: "I'm buying your house". Of course the owners told him it wasn't for sale, a statement that apparently amused him, so he replied: "sure it is but you have to tell me what it costs".

He remodeled the garage and had a marble floor put in. The builders remarked that marble doesn't fare too well when you use spiked tires, common during winters here, to which he laughingly replied: "have you ever seen a Ferrari with spiked tires?"

Andrew Wasson and Neil.C like this.
  2. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Are you implying or stating that I act like the neck and the body originated together?

If you are then you are way of the mark.

Just so we are clear I've referenced my guitar many times on this forum and refer to my guitar as being 'unique' as it has a 1st year 1982 Fullerton made 57' maple neck and a Corona factory made 62' body.

Perhaps you missed this?

In any case heres proof positive that I understand that the neck and body didn't 'originate together'.

I hope you can now rest easy.......

IMG_0869.JPG

drp146 likes this.
  3. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Its more a reissue than a copy of a original 57 and 62. Copy would mean exactly the same as the original. These reissues are great guitars but the farthest from original.

Either way no one here is trying to beat you down. It’s a great guitar, great history and story behind it. Whatever you want to call your fender Strat is up to you really.

Andrew Wasson, drp146 and Parksie like this.
  4. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Senior Stratmaster

I wasn’t taking issue with your guitar. Looks fantastic. I just thought your post was a little bit dramatic.

5. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

No worries at all matey.

Also, my post wasn't serious I was just trying to add some humour on the issue.

:thumb:

SonOfLerome likes this.
  6. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

I think you underestimate guitar players. Most all I have ever known tear down their guitars to find out exactly what they have. We are curious people.

7. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talker

Man, that's really presumptuous. Sure, for some, money is the only thing that matters. I'm not like that, I know others who feel the same. Not everything has a price. I feel bad for those who will never know the true meaning of sentimental value. I wouldn't trade my #1 for the controlling interest of Amazon.

Cerb and Bob the builder like this.
  8. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

A Strat becomes a "partscaster" the minute it is assembled at the factory....it is made up of PARTS!!

Parksie and albala like this.
  9. Intune

We all can’t live forever so eventually there’s always going to be a price. Imagine someone’s grand daughter left with a few sweet guitars. She wants to sell them. That’s when the issue arises with mismatched parts. “My grandfather always called it his 57 fender Stratocaster” turns out it’s a partscaster to the collector that showed up to buy it.

10. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Someone dropped enough cash in your face you would dump your # 1 in a heart beat.
    For the right price ever guitar I own is for sale.

drp146 likes this.
  11. Ongo Gablogian

People get buried with things. Some things become generational heirlooms that never get sold. I think this narrative of the ancestor selling guitars that goes around is pretty weak. It's convoluted and rare at best, yet it gets treated like it's so commonplace that it's become one of the greatest contributors to the stigma around partscasters. Also, at some point, if someone is really gonna drop the coin on a "57" without having it authenticated they are stupid. There are just so many degrees of separation that would lead to the purchase of the "57" to say the problem is partscasters as a concept seems ridiculous, IMO.

12. Ongo Gablogian

Thats fine for you. I hope someone does come along and buy your guitars, so you have the money to get something you actually care about(maybe that's just money itself). I have enough money. Sentimental value is harder for me to come by. I don't care how much someone offered, "it's gonna be a no from me dawg".

Parksie likes this.
  13. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

At 2:38 am on the night of the second harvest moon.

14. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

[​IMG]

Andrew Wasson and elduderinoTF like this.
  15. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

Except when you want to sell them, then a lot of people care. But I have played all original Strats that were mediocre and partscasters that were smokin' hot wonderful players. Resale has nothing to do with playability, but all original has a lot to do with resale.

Neil.C, ptb1 and Intune like this.
  16. Intune

I really have no clue what’s even being argued or debated here anymore. I couldn’t care less about selling anything or someone buying a partscaster thinking it’s the real deal. Do your homework before buying anything or at least bite the bullet and own up to buying a fake or partscaster.

This whole debate is basically over a bad word being the partscaster term.

17. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

I will say that's a nice looking guitar and I have no doubt it plays great.

Parksie likes this.
  18. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Thanks mate.

Yes it plays very nicely indeed.

The neck is amazing and to be honest it’s going to be hard to ever part with this guitar.

The early Fullerton reissues are pretty pricey and likely to stay that way so in a sense I am fortunate that someone swapped over the 1989 62 rosewood neck and I ended up with the 1982 Fullerton neck.

Cheers.

SonOfLerome likes this.
  19. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

….ugly!

Intune likes this.
  20. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker